[comp.sys.apple] Bernoulli disks and II?

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (12/03/89)

Can a SCSI Bernoulli drive be used on a IIgs ?  I dont mean in theory - I
mean in actuality?  I have a chance at a 5 meg Bernoulli for a ridiculously
low price.  Before I put around $200 in it, I thought I would ask first.
While there are a few 20 meg drives in the $300ish range, I can envision 5 meg
disks of bootup environments which would be acceptable if the speed is
reasonable - and with the possibility of the Ohio Kache Card for SCSI
interface, it should be fast enough.  Are the 5 meg drives still being sold
commercially?
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet

In article <3059.feeds.info-apple@pro-tcc> lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) writes:
>Can a SCSI Bernoulli drive be used on a IIgs ?  I dont mean in theory - I
>mean in actuality?  I have a chance at a 5 meg Bernoulli for a ridiculously
>low price.  Before I put around $200 in it, I thought I would ask first.
>While there are a few 20 meg drives in the $300ish range, I can envision 5 meg
>disks of bootup environments which would be acceptable if the speed is
>reasonable - and with the possibility of the Ohio Kache Card for SCSI
>interface, it should be fast enough.  Are the 5 meg drives still being sold
>commercially?
>--
>Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
>674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet
>Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-1614     Aline:  LVIRDEN
>                                CIS:    75046,606

	Basically from what I understand, if it's SCSI it'll work...
with some minor problems at the most sometimes.

	You POSSIBLY may not be able to dismount and remount other
cartridges without rebooting but with only a 5 megger it won't be much of
a problem.. (i.e. you probably don't want to backup from one to another).

	I'm most likely going to get either a 20 megabyte "floptical"
drive that's coming out 1st quarter next year.. (about $700-800 and 20
meg special floppies are $10)... Or I'm going to get one of the 45 megabyte
removable cartridge drives..

	My only problem with the latter is one that's supposed to be
fixed soon. I want to backup from one cartridge to another so I don't
have to deal with floppies..  Currently not possible to just have it
say "Insert /CART2" or whatever like it does with a regular floppy.
That will be fixed on the CMS one, from what the engineer at AppleFest
told me.
	If people want info on the 20 meg floptical drive just mail me.
--
unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu