[comp.sys.apple] Unpacking Speller Dictionaries

CARPENTR@SERVAX.BITNET (RALPH=CARPENTER) (12/03/89)

Joel Sumner (Q4KX@CornellA) asks:
>Is there any ** legal ** way to decrypt dictionaries from various
>spell-checkers?  I am looking for a way to get a file filled with a
>large number of words (50,000 - 80,000 should be quite sufficient).

Joel,

        Compu$erve's Apple Forum has a nice Alan Bird program
CONVERT.SS which unpacks Sensible Speller's dictionaries into a text
file of words separated by CR's. (There's also a separate patch
program up there which turns the CR's into Spaces.)  I used CONVERT.SS
a few whiles back to enhance my Vax/Vms speller.  I'm forwarding a
Shrunk/Binscii'd copy to you directly.

        If anyone else would like a copy, Email me, and I'll forward
copies as time permits.

                                        Ralpho
/                                                                             \
|  Ralph Carpenter           InterNet: CarpentR%SerVax.Bitnet@MITvma.MIT.EDU  |
|  Dept. of Psychology   --->Bitnet: CarpentR@SerVax  SoBell: (407) 367-2616  |
|  Florida Atlantic U.       Bitnet: Ralpho@FauVax  GEnie, Delphi: Ralpho     |
|  at Boca Raton             CI$: 74015.644@compuserve.com                    |
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

CC : SMTP@INTERBIT
CC : RALPHO@FAUVAX

jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com (Jerry E. Kindall) (12/04/89)

Remember, though, if you plan to release a program which uses unpacked
Sensible Speller (or other spelling checkers') dictionaries, THOSE
DICTIONARIES ARE COPYRIGHTED.  Most publishers of spelling checkers license
their word lists from dictionary publishers, and if you plan to distribute
these same word lists, you should license them too.
   _____
  ||___||  Jerry Kindall               |  Internet: jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com
  |  o  |  2612 Queensway Drive        |  UUCP:     nosc!crash!pro-tcc!jerryk
  |__O__|  Grove City, OH  43123-3347  |  GEnie: A2.JERRY     ALine: A2 Jerry