[comp.sys.apple] WANTED: construction plans for no-slot clock

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (11/28/89)

In article <46da0b3e.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> mort@apollo.HP.COM (Stephen Moriarty) writes:

>Also, I'd like a slotless clock circuit, too. Maybe there exists
>a do-it-yourself version of the Serial-Pro card. Thanks.
>
>Stephen
>ARPA: mort@apollo.hp.com        UUCP: ...{decvax, umix, mit-eddie}!apollo!mort
>Apollo, a subsidiary of Hewlett Packard, 330 Billerica Rd., Chelmsford MA. 01824

Sounds good to me, anybody have any idea how the no-slot clock works?

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (12/04/89)

In article <5842@wpi.wpi.edu> greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) writes:
>In article <46da0b3e.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> mort@apollo.HP.COM (Stephen Moriarty) writes:
>>
>>Also, I'd like a slotless clock circuit, too. Maybe there exists
>>a do-it-yourself version of the Serial-Pro card. Thanks.
>>
>>Stephen
>
>Sounds good to me, anybody have any idea how the no-slot clock works?

     I do.  I've even written a ProDOS driver and utility for using a NSC in an Apple //c
or //e (I have a NSC in my Apple //c).  The NSC works by sensing a 64 bit pattern using
address and data lines.  One the pattern is detected, the mated memory device is deactiv-
ated to the next 64 memory cycles.  These cycles are use to read/write the clock data.
After the 64 memory cycles are completed, the mated memory device is reactivated.

     One point I would like to make clear, is that the part commonly refered to as the
No-Slot-Clock, it in reality, one of Dallas Semiconductor's SmartWatch devices.  The
DS1216E, to be exact.  I purchase mine thru a local DS distributor for $16.  (I can
probably still get them for under $20.)

     I'll e-mail my ProDOS patch, and utility, in Binscii'd Shrinkit format, to anyone
who wants it.  (The archive file also contains all source to the patch, utility, and
the included 'Setup.System' utility.)

     One final note about my patch, to make it permanent, it must be hand installed.
I use a technique of adding it to the very end of the ProDOS file image, and then
intercepting the jump to $1000 which starts the search for the first '*.system' file.
(My patch also takes into the consideration, the presence of other ProDOS compatible
clocks, or the absence of the DS1216E and will not alter anything if so.)

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"