[comp.sys.apple] More on . .AWGS V1.1 Question

shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (12/03/89)

>Today I've worked with the spreadsheet all day with no problems.
>(Multiple entries and exits...).  When I went to open up a data base
>(which was converted) my system crashed.  It also crashed tying to create
>a new data base.

Its getting more bizzar!  I can't open a new module of any kind now.

Here's what I have done so far:

1) Ran memory test.
2) Check hard disk for bad blocks.
3) Re installed AWGS onto the hard disk.
4) Removed all NDA's and CDA's other than control panel.
5) No foreign init files.
6) 0 Cache and 0 ram disk...powered down and rebooted.

Results:

      BOOT MEDIUM      LOC OF AWGS        RESULT
       FLOPPY          FLOPPY            CAN WORK WITH ANY OF MY FILES

      FLOPPY        HARD DISK         AWGS LOADS, BOMBS WHEN OPENING AN
                                         ANY FILE OR MODULE

     HARD DISK       FLOPPY           ALL IS FINE

      HARD DISK       HARD DISK          BOMBS  ON ANY MODULE OF FILE.

Any Ideas ?

(Phone line is flakey at the momement - many typos - snow storm!)

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (12/04/89)

In article <1130@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:

> This question is directed to Either Syd Polk or Scott Lindsey at Claris.
>
> I just received my V1.1 upgrade and all in all I'm quite pleased with it.
> I am running into some strange problems resulting in  system crashes.  I
> cleared up the problems after several frustrating hours last night by
> completely rebuilding the system files...suspect some were corrupted.
>
> Today I've worked with the spreadsheet all day with no problems.
> (Multiple entries and exits...).  When I went to open up a data base
> (which was converted) my system crashed.  It also crashed tying to create
> a new data base.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1)  I've got 2.25M of memory so I have /RAM5 Volume of 192K and have set
> the cache for 64K.  Would setting the cache to anything other than 0 cause
> strange problems?

Not that I know of.  The size of the cache (note that 0 = 32K... at least
that was the case under 4.0, I assume it hasn't changed) shouldn't have any
direct effect on AWGS.

> 2)  What is the reason for setting the cache to 0 in the first place?  Is
> this due to memory considerations on a 1 meg machine or what?

The recommendation of setting the cache to 0 is indeed due to low memory
considerations.  The less memory you have, the faster what you do have gets
fragmented.  It's not strictly for a 1M machine, either... if you're working
on large documents on a larger machine, you can get yourself into similar
conundrums.

> Its getting more bizzar!  I can't open a new module of any kind now.

> Here's what I have done so far:

> 1) Ran memory test.
> 2) Check hard disk for bad blocks.
> 3) Re installed AWGS onto the hard disk.
> 4) Removed all NDA's and CDA's other than control panel.
> 5) No foreign init files.
> 6) 0 Cache and 0 ram disk...powered down and rebooted.

Sounds like a good start...

> Results:

>	 BOOT MEDIUM      LOC OF AWGS        RESULT
>	 -----------------------------------------
>	  FLOPPY          FLOPPY            CAN WORK WITH ANY OF MY FILES
>
>	  FLOPPY        HARD DISK         AWGS LOADS, BOMBS WHEN OPENING AN
>					    ANY FILE OR MODULE

>	HARD DISK       FLOPPY           ALL IS FINE

>	 HARD DISK       HARD DISK          BOMBS  ON ANY MODULE OF FILE.

> Any Ideas ?

Nothing concrete... I've not heard of anything like this... if I had, you can
bet we wouldn't have shipped with those kind of known bugs.  By Occam's Razor,
it would seem that your hard drive is somehow at fault.  What kind is it?
If SCSI, what kind of SCSI card do you have?  Presumably you used either the
installer or the finder to copy AWGS itself (it has a resource fork) or else
you wouldn't be able to get to the open dialog.

Finally, what kind of a crash are you getting?  Serious system alert (either
a BRK or a COP instruction was executed); hanging machine (no response to
anything except reboot... basically an infinite loop somewhere (like an unused
bank) with interrupts disabled); glorious death (machine makes obscene noises,
screen memory gets trashed, machine possibly goes into 50Hz mode... (machine
is running or randomly accessing the softswitches)) or what.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Let me take this opportunity to reiterate a good rule of computer usage:
Save your documents.  Save early.  Save often.  And save in pencil so we
can correct your mistakes :-).

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (12/04/89)

In article <WOMBAT.89Dec3133955@claris.com>, wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes...

>> Any Ideas ?
>
>Nothing concrete... I've not heard of anything like this... if I had, you can
>bet we wouldn't have shipped with those kind of known bugs.  By Occam's Razor,
>it would seem that your hard drive is somehow at fault.  What kind is it?

    Seagate 32 meg 3.5" on Apple SCSI REV C card

>If SCSI, what kind of SCSI card do you have?  Presumably you used either the
>installer or the finder to copy AWGS itself (it has a resource fork) or else
>you wouldn't be able to get to the open dialog.

    Tried Both

>Finally, what kind of a crash are you getting?  Serious system alert (either
>a BRK or a COP instruction was executed); hanging machine (no response to

    It would appear that I can run spread sheet but opening a word
processing file, either new or old, causes some disk activity, then none,
and the "watch cursor" is displayed...forever.  Can't get into control
panel, can't do anything except reboot.

    Trying to get into page DataBase trashes thge screen.

>anything except reboot... basically an infinite loop somewhere (like an unused
>bank) with interrupts disabled); glorious death (machine makes obscene noises,
>screen memory gets trashed, machine possibly goes into 50Hz mode... (machine
>is running or randomly accessing the softswitches)) or what.

    I've also tried pulling out My AST Vision Plus module, my supersonic
module and replacing the GSRAM+ with the fully populated Apple memory
expansion card. (My hair is next an there's not much left of that :-)

Thanks for the thoughts....I'll keep plugging at it.  Never seen anything
like this.

/chris