KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") (11/30/89)

From: "K. Schwab" <rosevax!kellyn@UUNET.UU.net>

>Does anyone know if there is a way to read these postings through
>a modem to an Apple IIc computer???  I currently am only able to
>get into this system at work through our mainframe.  I have an Apple
>at home and would like to be able to catch up on postings at home
>instead of having to stay late at work.
>
>I would greatly appreciate any info on this!!  Please e-mail me
>the info!
>
>Thanks -- Kelly
>
>[I also cannot get my .sig to work!]

I use the kermit 3.86 program, my apple gs, and a datalink 2400 baud modem to
work on the school mainframe (VAX) all the time.  I use the VT100 emulation
mode from kermit.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kurt Miles                   |      GreyMan ------>    and the    <----- DRAGON
KMILES@USU (Bitnet)          |      ...... remember, sometimes the DRAGON wins!
KMILES@CC.USU.EDU (Internet) |                                     ------
Doctoral Student in Instructional Technology at Utah State University
"Dissertation?   Doesn't that come after dinner?  I like strawberry shortcake"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

taxman@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (11/30/89)

In article <8328@rosevax.Rosemount.COM>, kellyn@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (K. Schwab) writes:
> Does anyone know if there is a way to read these postings through
> a modem to an Apple IIc computer???

Find the dialup ports to your mainframe and access news from remote. For fullscr
reen you'll need Vt100 emulation. Kermit 3.86 and Proterm (+ others) provide
the adequate emulation for news.

> Thanks -- Kelly
>
> [I also cannot get my .sig to work!]

If you are using vms, the filename mail.signature should work.

Mike Wommack      Inet: taxman@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu
                 BITnet: taxman@drycas
                 UUCP: {backbone}!pt.cs.cmu.edu!drycas!taxman

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/01/89)

     ProTERM is a commercial program, so Kermit may be your best bet at
least for now.  It's available through APPLE2-L or ftp from several sites,
e.g. husc6.harvard.edu, and it's free.  It doesn't have some of the features
of the commercial programs, but the emulation is probably what you're looking
for.  Kermit is pretty good overall anyway.
     If you're not sure how to get through to APPLE2-L or husc6.harvard.edu
just ask.  APPLE2-L still gives me some hassle with the 88-23382 numbers,
etc., etc., so on and so forth.

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu

UNESTJ@UNCVX1.BITNET (Tamara) (12/03/89)

                                               Time :  2-DEC-1989 23:15:09.61
> I use the kermit 3.86 program, my apple gs, and a datalink 2400 baud modem to
> work on the school mainframe (VAX) all the time.  I use the VT100 emulation
> mode from kermit.

 What kind of configuration do you have for Kermit and the VAX (all
 parameters).  I can't get Kermit to work. I mean it works for most things, but
 it appears to be dropping characters under certain circumstances. For example,
 under VAX VMS when someone sends me a message I only get three characters and
 the rest is lost.  Also I never receive things like messages about how many
 files I need to RECEIVE and how many new mail messages are waiting. I don't
 know if this problem will affect my downloading data, but I would like to be
 able to work it out before I try.

 BTW I have Kermit configured for a Super Serial Card and a Hayes Modem, when
 actually I have a datalink 2400. This has worked for Proterm and Mousetalk but
 not Kermit.  Any ideas would be most appreciated.  I've changed the control
 panel as instructed (modem settings).

--------
"Keep On Rocking in a Free World"
                                   UNESTJ@uncvx1.bitnet
<Tamara>

danr@pro-tcc.cts.com (Dan Roberts) (12/04/89)

One possible option may be to tap into the feeds via a local proline BBS. That
is the way I access the feed.

Dan

PS Please feel free to email me if you want more details.

Daniel Roberts            Proline: danr@pro-tcc
50 East Mound Street      CI$:     71271,1437
Columbus OH 43215         INET:    danr@pro-tcc.cts.com
                          UUCP:    crash!pnet01!pro-tcc!danr

KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") (12/04/89)

>                                               Time :  2-DEC-1989 23:15:09.61
>> I use the kermit 3.86 program, my apple gs, and a datalink 2400 baud modem to
>> work on the school mainframe (VAX) all the time.  I use the VT100 emulation
>> mode from kermit.
>
> What kind of configuration do you have for Kermit and the VAX (all
> parameters).  I can't get Kermit to work. I mean it works for most things, but
> it appears to be dropping characters under certain circumstances. For example,
> under VAX VMS when someone sends me a message I only get three characters and
> the rest is lost.  Also I never receive things like messages about how many
> files I need to RECEIVE and how many new mail messages are waiting. I don't
> know if this problem will affect my downloading data, but I would like to be
> able to work it out before I try.

	I have my datalink and kermit configured for a serial card and and
kermit protocol, with a timeing delay of 11.  The only time I lose characters
is when the VAX sends a Bell, which doesn't happend during file transfers, only
during login or when I get a mail message, or files.  It doesn't affect those
files or mail messages at all, just makes it inconvenient  to try and figure
what is supposed to be on the screen.  I found that if I turn the volume all
the way down,( under the new GSOS, form the control panel), I get a screen
border flash, and the whole message gets printed. No sound though.

> BTW I have Kermit configured for a Super Serial Card and a Hayes Modem, when
> actually I have a datalink 2400. This has worked for Proterm and Mousetalk but
> not Kermit.  Any ideas would be most appreciated.  I've changed the control
> panel as instructed (modem settings).
>

>--------
>"Keep On Rocking in a Free World"
>                                   UNESTJ@uncvx1.bitnet