[comp.sys.apple] Compiler Questions

RMC100@PSUVM.BITNET (11/15/89)

A friend of mine and I are going to be writing a specialized Tektronix
graphics emulator for the Apple.  What would be the best compiler to
handle communications (2400 baud is fine), graphics (at least pixels and
lines), and disk I/O?  The last compiler I used on the Apple was UCSD
Pascal and it's speed was dismal.  How does the code produced by existing
compilers compare to 6502 assembly, and do these compilers allow the use
of assembly language subroutines?  Is Merlin still the best available
assembler?  Finally, what types of libraries can I expect to find in a
good compiler/assembler (for items listed in sentence number two)?

Thanks in advance for the recommendations...

Randy Carraghan (rmc100@psuvm.bitnet)

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.COM (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (11/21/89)

I've been using ORCA/M 4.1 for the past couple of months and I think this is
the best assembler available, the graphics libraries are priceless. ORCA/GS is
likely as good or better, particular with the desktop debugger. Comm libraries
are built into the GS ROM to a certain extent, use them. This insures
compatibility across all revisions. ORCA/C will provide the HLL for complex
data structures and logic flow and supports inline assembly (it really just
tacks onto ORCA/GS and generates assmbly language soource, if it is consistent
with small/C).

When it is working will it be PD, if so I would like a copy. Hope it runs HGR
and DHR graphics as well!!

ANything enjoyable will eventually become bad for you.

blochowi@rt4.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (11/23/89)

In article <7680.infoapple.net@pro-generic> ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.COM (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
> [Deleted some stuff]
> ORCA/GS is
>likely as good or better, particular with the desktop debugger.

	I've not been able to get the Orca/Desktop to work for me the least
bit reliably, even with 2Mb of RAM. Perhaps I just do things that aggravate
it, as other people seem to be able to get it to work. The assembler is pretty
nice, although it does have some odd quirks (like the lack of orthogonality
with regards to the macro include directive [mcopy]).

> ORCA/C will provide the HLL for complex
>data structures and logic flow and supports inline assembly (it really just
>tacks onto ORCA/GS and generates assmbly language soource, if it is consistent
>with small/C).

	Well, unless I'm really missing something, Orca/C doesn't generate
assembly - it goes straight to object, which is probably best, as the
overhead wouldn't be thrilling. However, it would be nice if it could
generate assembly source for some tweaking.

--
      Jason Blochowiak - blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.uucp
       "Education, like neurosis, begins at home." - Milton R. Sapirstein

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.COM (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (11/27/89)

The Autumn 89 issue of Call a.p.p.l.e. states in the summary that Orca/C can
produce a source listing ( I assume assembly language source). The assembler
may be more tightly integrated than APW C or Small C, but it is still there
somewhere and it should be possible to flag it to not delete its temp files.

My understanding of compilers is that any compiler parses the language and
builds either a p-code listing which is then interpreted to run or an assembly
listing which is assembled to machine code. The linker then makes the object
code into a load module for stand alone operation. I had added 1 and 1 and
gotten 2 for my conclusions on Orca/C, my mistake was that it was binary code
and thus should have gotten 10 (clearing the carry bit beforehand of course!).

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (12/01/89)

In article <7958.infoapple.net@pro-generic> ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.COM (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
>My understanding of compilers is that any compiler parses the language and
>builds either a p-code listing which is then interpreted to run or an assembly
>listing which is assembled to machine code.

Nope, in fact before UNIX it was rather unusual for a compiler to create
a file full of assembly language.  Most would directly generate object
code.

reeder@reed.UUCP (Doug Reeder) (12/04/89)

In article <7958.infoapple.net@pro-generic> ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.COM (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:

;My understanding of compilers is that any compiler parses the language and
;builds either a p-code listing which is then interpreted to run or an assembly
;listing which is assembled to machine code. The linker then makes the object
;code into a load module for stand alone operation. I had added 1 and 1 and
;gotten 2 for my conclusions on Orca/C, my mistake was that it was binary code
;and thus should have gotten 10 (clearing the carry bit beforehand of course!).

Some compilers, such as the Aardvaark Pascal compiler, compile directly to
machine code.  This usually is faster, but often produces bulkier code.
--
Doug Reeder                         USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!reeder
Box 722 Reed College                BITNET: reeder@reed.BITNET