[comp.sys.apple] AFE

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (11/17/89)

In article <22335@gryphon.COM> lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) writes:

>I would assume it is possible; perhaps with Apple File Exchange (though I
>doubt AFE works on a Mac+).

I've used AFE on a 1 meg Mac Plus to convert stuff from the Mac to
ProDOS with no problem.

Howard C. Huang
huang@husc4.harvard.edu
huang@husc4.BITNET
huang@husc4.UUCP

UD182050@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) (12/01/89)

Can't Apple File Exchange read 720K MS-Dos disks?  I've been DL'ing GIF
pics on an IBM at 19.2K BPS, with the intention of converting them to
ProDos, via AFE on a Mac II.  The Mac won't read the MS-Dos disk.  Any
suggestions?

Mike

In article <8911302115.AA26749@apple.com> UD182050@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) writes:
>Can't Apple File Exchange read 720K MS-Dos disks?  I've been DL'ing GIF
>pics on an IBM at 19.2K BPS, with the intention of converting them to
>ProDos, via AFE on a Mac II.  The Mac won't read the MS-Dos disk.  Any
>suggestions?
>
>Mike

AFE can read the disks just fine.  It's the disk drive that can't.  The low-
level disk format between Apple and MS-DOS disks are different.

If you have one of Apple's SuperDrives (FDHD) that was announced last year
with the Macintosh IIx (and now comes standard with all SEs, IIxs, etc.)
you can read the disks just fine, and AFE will perform as you planned.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."

rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com (Randy Miller) (12/04/89)

Matt,
  Sorry to diagree with you, but I have tried reading MS-DOS disks via AFE and
bomb out every time with a system error ID=02.  I have tried this over the
AppleTalk network at the office.  When I launch AFE from the server (a Mac IIx
running system and finder 6.0.2, in this case) from a Mac SE with the FDHD
drive (with the startup running system and finder 6.0.4) it will, after a few
seconds, blow up (so to speak) with this message.  I have also tried booting a
6.0.4 disk without the network drivers and launching AFE from floppy, with the
same result.  Any ideas?
Randy Miller
rs.miller@pro-harvest
fsc@pro-harvest

Les_Ferch.@MTSG.UBC.CA (12/04/89)

> Can't Apple File Exchange read 720K MS-Dos disks?  I've been DL'ing
> GIF pics on an IBM at 19.2K BPS, with the intention of converting
> them to ProDos, via AFE on a Mac II.  The Mac won't read the MS-Dos
> disk.  Any suggestions?

You must have a Mac equipped with an FDHD (Floppy Drive High
Density) and use the AFE that comes with System 6.0.3 or higher to
read (and write) IBM 720K and 1.44M disks.

BTW, you're question should have been posted on Info-Mac, not
Info-Apple.

llp@psuhcx.psu.edu (Laura L. Pauley) (12/04/89)

In article <36912@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
|In article <8911302115.AA26749@apple.com> UD182050@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) writes:
|>Can't Apple File Exchange read 720K MS-Dos disks?  I've been DL'ing GIF
|>pics on an IBM at 19.2K BPS, with the intention of converting them to
|>ProDos, via AFE on a Mac II.  The Mac won't read the MS-Dos disk.  Any
|>suggestions?
|>
|>Mike
|
|AFE can read the disks just fine.  It's the disk drive that can't.  The low-
|level disk format between Apple and MS-DOS disks are different.
I have a question along those lines....  I have a apple //e with a SCSI Rev C.
and a Seagate st277n.  I am planning on getting an IBM and was wondering if
is any way that I can do disk sharing between the two computers without buying
any special hardware (other than a SCSI controler for the IBM of course.)?

		Thanks in advance,
			llp@psuhcx.BITNET

In article <5449.apple.net.info-apple@pro-harvest> rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com (Randy Miller) writes:

>Matt,
>  Sorry to diagree with you, but I have tried reading MS-DOS disks via AFE and
>bomb out every time with a system error ID=02.  I have tried this over the
>AppleTalk network at the office.  When I launch AFE from the server (a Mac IIx
>running system and finder 6.0.2, in this case) from a Mac SE with the FDHD
>drive (with the startup running system and finder 6.0.4) it will, after a few
>seconds, blow up (so to speak) with this message.  I have also tried booting a
>6.0.4 disk without the network drivers and launching AFE from floppy, with the
>same result.  Any ideas?
>Randy Miller
>rs.miller@pro-harvest
>fsc@pro-harvest

I have had a similar experience, although I don't know why.  My copy of AFE at
work never ever crashes, but here at home:

I have a Mac SE with MacsBug installed, so instead of "System Error ID=02" I
get dropped into MacsBug with "Unimplemented Instruction error".  The strange
thing is that if I type "g" for "go" twice, the program will continue
starting up and works like a charm.  (You obviously can't do this without
some kind of Macintosh debugger installed.)

Maybe I just have a bad version of AFE; I'm going to try bringing a new one
home someday and see if that fixes it (I normally use MPW IIgs's tool
"DuplicateIIgs" because it does resource forks as well).

I directed follow ups to this to comp.sys.mac so that someone who actually
knows what he's talking about can take it from here.