In article <8ZRLgoW00VA_I0RXJj@andrew.cmu.edu> gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:

   From: gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple
   Date: 30 Nov 89 19:10:44 GMT

     Welp, I'm running at 19.2K baud right now, and I lose characters
   every once in a while.  Things like screen updates.  It's not the
   speed of the port, though, it's the speed of the GS.  If I'm at slow
   mode, I get about every 3rd character, but when I'm in fast mode I
   only miss characters every once in a while.  Kinda interesting...

		   -Greg T.

I think I'm having the same problem with my //c... I'm running kermit
3.86 in vt100 emulation mode with a Microcom 9600 bps modem.   The
serial connection between the //c and the modem is set to 19,200bps.
It seems to work fine except when a steady stream of data is sent from
a remote cpu to my modem; characters begin to drop at a steady pace.
Could someone please explain the ins and outs of hardware/software
flowcontrol and the differences between xon/xoff and cts/rts?

Kermit is certainly the most robust comm program for the //c when it
comes to handling > 2400 bps communications (includes Z-LINK, Proterm)

Anyone else use a //c at > 2400bps , preferably 9600bps,  and want to
compare notes?  I'm thinking a rocket chip would help things out...
Otherwise looks like I'm going to have to write my own comm program
(OH NO NOT ANOTHER!!)

Enough rambling..
-Paul Nakada
pnakada@oracle.com
nakada@husc4.binet

yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) (12/01/89)

I also have the same problem when running my GS modem port at
19200Baud. I tried the setting the modem buffer but this didn't help
either. The funny thing is that I only miss characters when I am
displaying long lists. File transfers seem to work okay but I guess
that's because of error checking.
Anyone have any ideas about solving this problem?
I asked a consultant and he said that the GS wasn't built for 19200Baud...
|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu   ||||||||||||||Yong Su Kim||||||||||||||
|Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			||||||||The Korean from Hong Kong||||||
|UUCP    : rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4  ||||||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||||
|_______________________________________|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

In article <2314@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) writes:
>I asked a consultant and he said that the GS wasn't built for 19200Baud...
>|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu ||||||||||||||Yong Su Kim||||||||||||||

Consult again.  It would be very strange of Apple to build a 19200 baud option
into the machine, selectable at the Control Panel, if it didn't work.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (12/04/89)

In article <2314@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) writes:
>I also have the same problem when running my GS modem port at
>19200Baud. I tried the setting the modem buffer but this didn't help
>either. The funny thing is that I only miss characters when I am
>displaying long lists. File transfers seem to work okay but I guess
>that's because of error checking.
>Anyone have any ideas about solving this problem?
>I asked a consultant and he said that the GS wasn't built for 19200Baud...

   Kinda sounds like one of those "Apple II Must Die" type of people to me.
The GS works fine at 19200 baud. What causes character loss is the machine not
being able to keep up with the data flow.  This usually happens when the screen
scrolls or clears, as the processor has to do a lot of work (esp. when using
the built-in firmware routines- gosh they're slow).
   File transfers work because there is nothing going on besides sending or
receiving raw data - the GS, and even the ][+ are quite fast enough for this (
I've had my GS and a ][+ hooked to IBMs at 19,200 baud and it worked flawlessly.
   I recommend a new terminal program for you. I can make you quite a deal
in a few months. :)

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | This message was posted to thousands of machines
Junior/Computer Engineering | throughout the entire civilized world. It cost

bh1e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (12/05/89)

The GS can send and receive at 19200 with no problems...

I've been using Ymodem-batch receive at that speed.

Its just the receiving AND displaying that pushes it to the limits...

I wonder if we'd have such a problem if the screen weren't in 1MHz memory...