[comp.sys.apple] Audio Animator/IFF

philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) (12/02/89)

The AA from AE will save files in 8 bit Apple IFF format.I gather there must
be 16 bit and other standards out there.Is there a conversion program
available?

     Philip McDunnough
:  University of Toronto
:  [my opinions]
:
:E-mail: philip@utstat.toronto.edu
:.

In article <8204.infoapple.net@pro-generic> philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>The AA from AE will save files in 8 bit Apple IFF format.I gather there must
>be 16 bit and other standards out there.Is there a conversion program
>available?
>

>     Philip McDunnough

I'm assuming you mean Audio Animator.

IFF is a standard created by Electronic Arts.  There isn't an "Apple IFF".
What there is is Apple's "Audio IFF" or "Audio Interchange File Format", also
called "AIFF".

AIFF is a very robust file format for sampled sounds.  The format contains
information on how many bits deep each sample is.  If Audio Animator's software
creates 8-bit samples, trying to change them to 16-bit samples isn't going to
change anything.  It will sound the same and just take up more disk space.

AIFF is not an "8-bit" format; it's me 32-bit oriented than anything else, I
would say.  It's the preferred method of audio storage and interchange for
Apple II, IIgs and Macintosh computers.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."