[comp.sys.apple] Davex question

eldorado@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (David D Jansen) (12/06/89)

I am posting this for a friend of mine who is trying to use Davex.  I think he
said his problem is something with the online help.  He says he gets a "file
not found" problem.  I have looked at the docs and the I know about putting
the file in the help directory.  We did that.  The file (I forget it's name)
has a file type of 00.  Is that right?  He really can't use the program because
the docs don't explain enough and of course the online help doesn't work so...

Dave Jansen (The Gilded One)
eldorado@en.ecn.purdue.edu

"I'm a self-made man who worships his creator"

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (12/06/89)

In article <8912052339.AA17456@en.ecn.purdue.edu> eldorado@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (David D Jansen) writes:
>I am posting this for a friend of mine who is trying to use Davex.  I think he
>said his problem is something with the online help.  He says he gets a "file
>not found" problem.  I have looked at the docs and the I know about putting
>the file in the help directory.  We did that.  The file (I forget it's name)
>has a file type of 00.  Is that right?  He really can't use the program because
>the docs don't explain enough and of course the online help doesn't work so...

Yes, the INDEXED.HELP file is supposed to have filetype $00 (it'll have a
Real filetype in the next version), and it needs to go in a directory called
"help" -inside- whatever directory you're running Davex from.  (For example,
if the Davex application's path is /h1/davex/davex, your "%" directory is
/h1/davex, and your help directory is /h1/davex/help.)

If you still can't get it working, send me your friend's address and I'll
mail a disk already set up (specify 5.25 or 3.5).

(Lurkers:  Davex is a Shareware command shell for ProDOS 8.)
--

 --David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
   Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.