[comp.sys.apple] Proterm

gregp@pro-carolina.cts.COM (Greg Prevost) (09/17/88)

>says that Proterm is public domain, is that true?
No, Proterm is definately not Public Domain.  We are talking around 70-90
depending on where you get it.  But even at that price I think it is one of
the best.  Gives me everything I want and more.

UUCP: [ ihnp4 sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!gregp    Never forget
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!gregp@nosc.mil                   your towel!
INET: gregp@pro-carolina.cts.com                          Ford Prefect

craparotta@kyoa.DEC.COM (Physical T5--Virtual T7) (10/03/88)

>So what?

>I am a former (as of 7-88) Apple ][ series user. I was devout to the machine,
>until I got my Mac (after nearly 7 years of computing on the ][). Believe me,
>ProTerm is nothing to "rave" about. That program just, well, isn't. In terms
>of power, it doesn't come close to AE Pro, really. Look at a term Program for
>the Amiga (or Mac), which allows you to download, upload, chat, and run
>another totally different application at the same time! Now, granted, the
>reason that ProTerm can't implement those features (multitasking) isn't
>entirely it's fault.

>But it could support a few.

>Brad Koehn

Come on Brad... Comparing a ][ (any one of them) to a Mac or Amiga is a little
ridiculous.. As for AE Pro.. It CANT'T compare with Proterm.. I don't know of
anyone who EVER got its supposed emulation to work. Although Proterm does have
some bugs, its still a hell of a lot better. Ever wonder why they came out with
Mousetalk??? And that still doesn't do emulations.... BTW your Mac or Amiga
can't beat my VAXSTATION 2000 for anything!!!!

Joe

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (02/06/89)

Does anyone know what size packets the ProTerm implementation of kermit
supports?

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (03/01/89)

I am having trouble with Proterm's emulations when logging into my
school's mainframe.

I guess the sum of the problem is that the VT100 emulation sometimes
sticks in extra linefeeds in programs that use the full screen and menus.

I am using a //gs and a Gandalf DOV modem running 19200 baud. Proterm is set
to Apple //gs Modem Port and to Null-Modem (none of the other modem settings
worked).

The control panel (if Proterm doesn't defeat it) is set to 19200 baud and
defeat first linefeed after CR; everything else is standard.

What's to do?

jeremy mereness
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (arpa)
r746jm7e@cmccvb      (bitnet)

demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco) (03/01/89)

In article <QY2jfwy00UiyQuG2QP@andrew.cmu.edu>, jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:

> I am having trouble with Proterm's emulations when logging into my
> school's mainframe.
>
> I guess the sum of the problem is that the VT100 emulation sometimes
> sticks in extra linefeeds in programs that use the full screen and menus.
>
> I am using a //gs and a Gandalf DOV modem running 19200 baud. Proterm is set
> to Apple //gs Modem Port and to Null-Modem (none of the other modem settings
> worked).
>
> The control panel (if Proterm doesn't defeat it) is set to 19200 baud and
> defeat first linefeed after CR; everything else is standard.
>
> What's to do?

Well, the problem is that ProTerm's vt100 emulation is severely flawed...
Personally, I never use it..  The best vt100 on the apple that I have
encountered is that on Apple Kermit...  The next best is AE:Mousetalk, followed
closely by Dave Whitney's Zlink (Great program, just a few bugs in the vt100
need to be fixed)...

Chris (posting from a friend's acct)

Disclaimer-> It's only my opinion...
Replies-> CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET

jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Johnson Michael Earls) (03/01/89)

In article <QY2jfwy00UiyQuG2QP@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:

>I guess the sum of the problem is that the VT100 emulation sometimes
>sticks in extra linefeeds in programs that use the full screen and menus.

The VT100 emulation will do an automatic linefeed whenever text is printed in
the 80th column.  This causes problems, becuase a "real" VT100 doesn't do any
automatic linefeeds; it only linefeeds when it gets the linefeed character.

>The control panel (if Proterm doesn't defeat it) is set to 19200 baud and
>defeat first linefeed after CR; everything else is standard.

The control panel settings are the "defaults" for the ports; that is what they
are set to on a cold-start.  ProTERM will set the ports to whatever settings
you give in the "Online Parameters" dialog.

Hope this helps...

  (~~~~)        /                                                           \
 ( 0  0 )      |   Johnson Earls    - jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU             |
(|   >  |) ___/                     - jearls@polyslo.UUCP                    |
 ( \__/ ) <___                      - ..!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!jearls         |
  (____)      \_____________________________________________________________/

cs1552ao@charon.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble) (03/03/89)

>> I guess the sum of the problem is that the VT100 emulation sometimes
>> sticks in extra linefeeds in programs that use the full screen and menus.
>
> The VT100 emulation will do an automatic linefeed whenever text is printed in
> the 80th column.  This causes problems, becuase a "real" VT100 doesn't do any
> automatic linefeeds; it only linefeeds when it gets the linefeed character.

This was true until ProTERM 2.1; the current version now properly
handles 80th-column text by overprinting in the last column just like a
real VT100.  Solution: upgrade.  (Lots of other nice new creature
features in 2.1 too -- well worth moving up.)

                                                                         Lazlo
cs1552ao@charon.unm.edu     Is chinet the only site named after a paper plate?

CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET (The Ultron) (03/03/89)

No, Proterm's vt100 does not insert a linefeed when it reaches the 80th
column, at least not on mine..  (v2.11) it just prints over itself (ie
it doesn't wrap over to the next line but keeps printing on one spot)
This appears to be an attempted fix of the linefeed problem in previous
versions, but I think I prefer the linefeed problem over the "cure" to
it...  use Kermit, it's free and it works...

Chris

 The opinions expressed herein are    Replies to:
 entirely my  own, but they can be      CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET
 yours for only  $29.95 plus tax.*      CYLau@UNCAMULT%UNCACDC.BITNET
 (* where applicable)                   or whatever is on the header)

Johnson Michael Earls wrote:
>Jeremy G. Mereness wrote:
>>
>>I guess the sum of the problem is that the VT100 emulation sometimes
>>sticks in extra linefeeds in programs that use the full screen and menus.
>>
>The VT100 emulation will do an automatic linefeed whenever text is printed in
>the 80th column.  This causes problems, becuase a "real" VT100 doesn't do any
>automatic linefeeds; it only linefeeds when it gets the linefeed character.

I spoke to Greg Schaeffer (spelling?) at AppleFest (San Francisco) last year
and he said that it was possible to change the default setting for the way
VT100 emulation handles a character in the 80th character. It can be set
to either:
		1) Automatically give a linefeed. I seriously do not know
why this was included and is what gives everyone a ton of trouble with full-
screen type programs.

		2) Just keep printing everything in the 80th character until
a linefeed is actually sent. This isn't the greatest alternative either,
because it would be a good idea to just keep printing things on the NEXT line
[without an extra empty line like option #1].

I believe that option #2 is the default in ProTERM versions over 2.01 (i.e.
2.01 and 2.1).  I do not remember how to change the default, however. Just
check your manual and it should help you.

-----
The Unknown User (unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu)

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (03/06/89)

In article <6571@saturn.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User)
writes:
>Johnson Michael Earls wrote:
>>
>>The VT100 emulation will do an automatic linefeed whenever text is printed in
>>the 80th column.  This causes problems, becuase a "real" VT100 doesn't do any
>>automatic linefeeds; it only linefeeds when it gets the linefeed character.
>
>I spoke to Greg Schaeffer (spelling?) at AppleFest (San Francisco) last year
>and he said that it was possible to change the default setting for the way
>VT100 emulation handles a character in the 80th character. It can be set
>to either:
>		1) Automatically give a linefeed. I seriously do not know
>why this was included and is what gives everyone a ton of trouble with full-
>screen type programs.
>
>		2) Just keep printing everything in the 80th character until
>a linefeed is actually sent. This isn't the greatest alternative either,
>because it would be a good idea to just keep printing things on the NEXT line
>[without an extra empty line like option #1].

This is almost right, but not quite (I mean about the emulation, not what
proterm actually does).

On a vt100, you have two options.  When the _81st_ character is sent, it
will put a newline *before* the 81st char.  Note the subtle difference:  it
won't do a newline *until* the 81st char is sent, not *after* the 80th.
This actually makes sence, when you keep in mind that the vt100 was a
pioneer in the cursor addressable smart-terminal world.

The other option allows the vt100 to just keep printing on the 80th column.
I.e. everthing after the 80th char gets printed over the 80th char.

I have a vt100 technical reference manual here.  It's quite obtuse, and
difficult to read.  On the other hand, it actually says a *little* bit more
than the vt220 pocket reference card does.

I suggest that authors of vt100 emulators fire up a local copy of Jonathan's
Own Version of Emacs (JOVE) and give it a thurough run-through.  One of
these days I will upgrade the program vttest to do tests for what I feel are
the most common problems with vt100 terminal emulators.  Don't hold your
breath.  I have to graduate first.

Now, back to programming for my thesis.  If anyone's interrested, I'm a
physics major doing color digital image enhancement using a tektronix 4125
color graphics terminal.  Blows a GS out of the water. . . Though it has no
sound but a wimpy bell, and you have to hook it up to another computer
(right now our Vax) to get it to do things. :-) :-) :-)

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: kamath@reed.BITNET

>     I'm using version 2.0 of ProTerm....but all of my Kermit transfers are
>  text...no binary.  And there are a few little bugs but nothing major...
>  nothing that can't be overcome!

Apparently version 2.0 transfer *most* but not ALL text characters (BINSCII
uses only a limited subset of printable ASCII characters, yet version 2.0
appears to choke on many <most?> BINSCII files).

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

ST802148@BROWNVM.BITNET (Evan) (09/06/89)

RE: Proterm.  I think that proterm is an excellent telecomm program, considerin
g how much you can do on a simple 64K //e.  It's lack of mouse accessible menus
 is not a drawback, but rather a plus for those who want to be able to start a
transfer with just a few keypresses. A mouse driven Easylink is out, with windo
ws. I should be gettinng it soon, I'll let you know how it is....

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (12/06/89)

Also, it'd be neat and nifty if you could hold down the closed apple key
and get the 'meta' key sent....

--Chan Wilson
	     `and now for something completely different.'
	Flamingo coloured penguins and banana coloured grapes.
              cwilson@nisc.sri.com or cwilson@nic.ddn.mil

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (12/06/89)

   From: cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple
   Date: 6 Dec 89 02:14:24 GMT

   Also, it'd be neat and nifty if you could hold down the closed apple key
   and get the 'meta' key sent....

   --Chan Wilson
		`and now for something completely different.'
	   Flamingo coloured penguins and banana coloured grapes.
		 cwilson@nisc.sri.com or cwilson@nic.ddn.mil

This is possible with z-link... Z-link offer the capapbility to map
any closed apple/normal key pair to a string of characters.  The Meta
key usually just prepends an escape character to the normal character
that you type... It is a simple matter to add a closed apple/key macro
for every normal key on the apple // keyboard and voila!  you've got a
meta key...

-Paul Nakada
pnakada@oracle.com