[comp.sys.apple] Hard Drive = $$$$

TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET ("Ed 'Apple Guru' Moore") (11/30/89)

I'm looking for a hard drive for my apple IIGS computer.  I am looking for
the cheapest setup for a 40 MB drive.  If anyone know a realy cheep hard
drive, could you send it to me.  Maybe we could see who could configure
the cheapest hard drive on the list......?  -Ed

In article <8911300316.AA07157@apple.com> <TSEMM%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> writes:
>I'm looking for a hard drive for my apple IIGS computer.  I am looking for
>the cheapest setup for a 40 MB drive.  If anyone know a realy cheep hard
>drive, could you send it to me.  Maybe we could see who could configure
>the cheapest hard drive on the list......?  -Ed

	Here, I'll start spewing some prices I've found in last }iSunday's
newspaper.. There are probably CHEAPER ones but I'm being too lazy to go get
a whole ton of papers and look through them.

	This is from Nov 19th's San Jose Mercury News.. an 82 megabyte Seagate
drive for $549.. The drive next to it says "RLL" and this one says nothing so
I'm guessing it's SCSI. Always check up on me to make sure!! (unless you have
an ESDI/SCSI or RLL/SCSI converter which a housemate_who_works_at_IBM says
are easy to get)

	More random hard drive prices:
	Seagate	82 meg 28 ms 549
		40 meg 24 ms 3.5"	389
		40 meg 28 ms	349
		20 meg 3.5" 249
		20 meg 	199
	Miniscribe
		72 meg 36 ms  569
		157 meg  --ESDI--  1195 (wow expensive! I see 120 meg for 800)
		40 meg 28 ms 339

that's enough for now.

--
unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu

n8948315@unicorn.WWU.EDU (arthur morgan) (12/06/89)

One thing you need to be careful about when looking at seagate drives is
their nomenclature. In choosing a SCSI drive (which I assume is what you
are thinking of), you need to look for drives that have an 'N' at the end of
their name. Examples would be: ST-125N, ST-138N. Be prepared to pay a little
more for one of these drives, but remember that that is because these drives
have the SCSI hardware built in. The straight ST-125, ST-138 etc. drives are
RLL drives, and thus won't work with your SCSI host adapter card. Now, if you
are thinking of building your own hard drive subsystem, you can get some
excellent instructions by writing to the Big Red Computer Club and requesting
a copy of February's (of this year) Scarlett Letter. (I believe they want $2
for it.) There is a good article there describing exactly what components you
will need, some suggestions as to where to get them, and instructions on how to
put the thing together.  Good luck, and E-mail me if you need more info.

Arthur Morgan
'n8948315@unicorn.WWU.EDU' or '8948315@nessie.WWU.EDU'