[comp.sys.apple] SCSI drives

friedman@athos.rutgers.edu (Gadi ) (11/17/87)

I keep reading that the Apple II SCSI card is not compatible
with 'standard' SCSI card, and the CMS SCSI card is.
Does anyone know what the problem is?.
   I bought the SCSI Technical Reference manual from APDA, but it
doesn't have much usefull info.  (No schematics, No ROM listings...).
All it has is a list of system calls.  It looks like I'm going to have
to disassemble the ROMS to see what the card does, since I'd like
my drive to Autoboot.  The manual does claim that the card is
compatible with all SCSI devices that follow the standard, but I'm
still suspicious.  Also I have the Adaptec manual for their SCSI
controller, and it says something about special block sizes used
by Apple.  What is that all about??

                                  Gadi
--

                                        Gadi
uucp:   {ames, cbosgd, harvard, moss}!rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!friedman

mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) (12/02/87)

For those who don't know about it, there is a small company, with a tiny
little ad in the back of A+ mag. that makes a SCSI controller for the
Apple II/II+/IIe/GS. The product is MEGABOARD, from Perlin Electronics
in Goleta, CA (805) 968-6089.
 This card fits in any slot 1-7, but works as if in 7. It will use nearly
any ST506 type hard disk of 64Meg or less..1024 cyl max/8 heads max
It formats 16 sectors at 256 bytes/sect..
Comes with software to format and config for DOS3.3, Apple Pascal, CP/M, PRODOS
and the only "MUST HAVE" is one volume of DOS3.3 for all the utilities.
Currently works with Pascal 1.1 and Prodos 1.1.1 or less, and CP/M 54k ..
I have not been able to make it work with 44k CP/M or 60k CP/M 2.23, and
it won't boot PRODOS 1.2 or higher yet. Oh yes, the price is $195.00 plus
shipping and tax...The card runs pretty warm, and due to it's power requirements,
has a pig-tail lead from the disk connector end for external +5, which you
steal from the disk power supply. You can configure the disk to boot up in any
of the installed systems.
This might be worth checking out for those folks looking for a hard disk
controller for the Apple.

Dick <MEAD@HAMAL.USC.EDU>

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (12/03/87)

in article <5481@oberon.USC.EDU>, mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) says:

> For those who don't know about it, there is a small company, with a tiny
> little ad in the back of A+ mag. that makes a SCSI controller for the
> Apple II/II+/IIe/GS. The product is MEGABOARD, from Perlin Electronics
> in Goleta, CA (805) 968-6089.
>  This card fits in any slot 1-7, but works as if in 7. It will use nearly

There is also a larger company that has a SCSI board available.  Apple
Computer, Inc.  Last time I was at my dealer, I saw this board.  I am
not sure of the cost or anything neat like that.  I heard that at one
point apple was having troubles with this board, but that the troubles
have been fixed.

-bill

In article <1411@bgsuvax.UUCP> denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) writes:
>There is also a larger company that has a SCSI board available.  Apple
>Computer, Inc.  Last time I was at my dealer, I saw this board.  I am
>not sure of the cost or anything neat like that.  I heard that at one
>point apple was having troubles with this board, but that the troubles
>have been fixed.

Yes, there was a ROM upgrade to fix some problem that was trashing disks
on Apple IIGSes.

Apple decided not to use the standard SCSI connector, also.

rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com (Russel Michel) (10/24/89)

Got a question hopefully somebody out there can answer:  Is there a way to
write-protect a SCSI device (specifically, a hard disk)?  I'd like to make one
of the two drives in my daisy-chained setup read-only at times (like when the
kids are playing games loaded from the hd and I don't want to take the chance
of them trashing my drive.  I do regular back-ups, but it's a headache to
do a backup before I can let the little rug-rats do their thing.  It would
make things much simpler if I could just flip a switch or something.  Thanks
in advance for any replies.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rmichel
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rmichel@nosc.mil
INET: rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/27/89)

In article <8910240059.AA25580@trout.nosc.mil> rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com (Russel Michel) writes:
>Got a question hopefully somebody out there can answer:  Is there a way to
>write-protect a SCSI device (specifically, a hard disk)?  I'd like to make one
>of the two drives in my daisy-chained setup read-only at times [...]

No problem--there's a "write-protect" switch right on the back of the hard
disk, only it isn't documented as one.  Just take a magic marker and write
"write-protect" over the word "off."

Well, I suppose you did ask for "read only," though...there is a CDA by
Glen Bredon that will write-protect *all* your online devices under
ProDOS 8.  I believe you have to manually choose the CDA every time you
enter P8 to get the write protection turned on, so it probably won't
help you keep the kids from messing up your drive.  The power swtich
solution sounds very practical, though.
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

dhom@riglow.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) (12/01/89)

I just bought a Powerdrive from Hard Drives International.  It's
a Seagate ST-277N-1 (28ms model).  The drive formatted to 62 Megs
and is fast. (Given a Transwarp GS, System 5.0.2, disktimer resulted
in readings of 46/88/51 at a 3:1 interleave) Only drawback, say versus
an Ehman, is that it's LOUD, kinda like a squadron of F-15's.  But that
is solved with a SCSI extender cable and a remote power switch.

Powerdrive 60 -----   $539  ST-277N
Powerdrive 80 -----   $588  ST-296N (much better deal  $$/megabyte,
                                     but I have my SCSI in slot 7
                                     and didn't want to move it to
		                     slot 5 so I could use more than
                                     two partitions per slot)

     One month no-hassle guarantee (includes disk upgrades), and
one year warranty on drives.
     This is the second drive I bought from them and I am quite pleased. When
my first one blew-up, I sent it back and got one back within three days!
I am not any way affiliated with or in the employ of Hard Drive I'ntl, just
a happy customer. See their ad in MacWorld and Computer Shopper.
HDI ---->  800-234-DISK

Dave
dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

irie2@husc2.HARVARD.EDU (The Irie One) (12/02/89)

Hi. This is my first time at posting an article on a newsgroup, so please bear with me.

I am thinking of getting a hard drive, and was very interested in the report of
the Powerdrive from Hard Drives International. One question, though: I am not
all that familiar with hard drives, so can someone please tell me why you have
to have the SCSI card in slot 5 to be able to access more than two partitions?
Is this true for any operating system? (Prodos 8,16 GS/OS)

Any help in these matters will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Robert Irie     irie2@husc2.harvard.edu
*****************************
*Sorry, no fancy end message*
*****************************

rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com (Russel Michel) (12/04/89)

>I just bought a Powerdrive from Hard Drives International.  It's a Seagate
>ST-277N-1 (28ms model).  The drive formatted to 62 Megs and is fast. (Given a
>Transwarp GS, System 5.0.2, disktimer resulted in readings of 46/88/51 at a
>3:1 interleave)

  I have two Seagate hard drives (a ST-138N & a ST-296N) in a homebrew setup,
and found that 11:1 interleave gave the best results with DiskTimer GS on both
drives (I used SCSI.Hacker to low-level format them).  How many different
interleaves did you try? I was able to obtain Read test times comparable to
yours, and Seek test results in the 55-58 range.  Also, TWGS speed had no
effect on DiskTimer results; perhaps this is due to the timing routines used
by
that program.

>... but I have my SCSI in slot 7 and didn't want to move it to slot 5 so I
>could use more than two partitions per slot)

>... so can someone please tell me why you have to have the SCSI card in slot
5
>to be able to access more than two partitions?  Is this true for any
operating
>system? (Prodos 8,16 GS/OS)

  Installation of a SCSI card in slot 7 does not limit one to 2 partitions.
Limitation of # of partitions is primarily a factor of the operating system in
use; ie. ProDos 8 & ProDOS 16 limit you to 2 partitions; GSOS allows up to
seven partitions in a given slot. (I may be incorrect on that last part about
GSOS; Advanced Disk Utilities may be the actual limiting factor)

  Use Advanced Disk Utilities to set more than 2 partitions AFTER using SCSIHD
Partition to initially high-level format the drive, and then you can set your
drive up as you please.

llp@psuhcx.psu.edu (Laura L. Pauley) (12/04/89)

In article <3311@husc6.harvard.edu> irie2@husc2.UUCP (The Irie One) writes:
|I am thinking of getting a hard drive, and was very interested in the report of
|the Powerdrive from Hard Drives International. One question, though: I am not
|all that familiar with hard drives, so can someone please tell me why you have
|to have the SCSI card in slot 5 to be able to access more than two partitions?
|Is this true for any operating system? (Prodos 8,16 GS/OS)

Well that is due to the restriction of prodos 8&16.  I am not sure how gs/os
works so I can't help you there.  If you are doing this on a //e you can only
use up to 40 megs (2 partitions of 20megs each, I think that you can vary them
also...not sure though, i use 2 20's).  There is an execption to that though.
If you move the drive to a GS then you can format to 2 32meg partitions (only allowing 64 megs per SCSI card)  If you put the SCSI controler in slot 5 you can
partition the drive into 4 partitions of 15megs.  That is all of the help that
I have to offer.

Now I have a question here....  Has anyone found out any way to trick prodos 8
to allow you to partition the entire 64megs yet?  I have a problem when it
comes to this because there are no Apple //gs users in this area that I know
of (is there any in Penn State Main Campus?!?! :-)  )

dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) (12/04/89)

In article <0.apple.net@pro-grouch> rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com (Russel Michel) writes:
>  I have two Seagate hard drives (a ST-138N & a ST-296N) in a homebrew setup,
>and found that 11:1 interleave gave the best results with DiskTimer GS on both
>drives (I used SCSI.Hacker to low-level format them).  How many different
>interleaves did you try? I was able to obtain Read test times comparable to
>yours, and Seek test results in the 55-58 range.

I think I stopped at 10:1 because the reads were getting consistantly longer.

>  Installation of a SCSI card in slot 7 does not limit one to 2 partitions.
>Limitation of # of partitions is primarily a factor of the operating system in
>use; ie. ProDos 8 & ProDOS 16 limit you to 2 partitions; GSOS allows up to
>seven partitions in a given slot. (I may be incorrect on that last part about
>GSOS; Advanced Disk Utilities may be the actual limiting factor)

And you can actually ACCESS more than two PRODOS partitions out of slot seven?
Yes, the two partition limit is a ProDOS limitation, but since we're using the
ProDOS FST, we have that limitation.  If you can access more than two ProDOS
partitions out of slot seven, let me know, I can upgrade my 60Meg to an 80  :)

Dave
dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (12/07/89)

In article <1989Dec4.153836.13099@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu.UUCP (David Hom) writes:
[...]
>And you can actually ACCESS more than two PRODOS partitions out of slot seven?
>Yes, the two partition limit is a ProDOS limitation, but since we're using the
>ProDOS FST, we have that limitation.  If you can access more than two ProDOS
>partitions out of slot seven, let me know, I can upgrade my 60Meg to an 80  :)

A two-partition-per-slot limitation is a *ProDOS 8* limitation, *not* a
limitation of the ProDOS file system; I have a hard drive in slot 1 with
3 ProDOS partitions on it (and it would work just as well in slot 7 if I
had it there).

Under GS/OS I can use all 3 partitions, but ProDOS 8 only sees the first
2.

(An actual limit of the ProDOS file system is a maximum volume size of
32 Megs.)
--

 --David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
   Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875