[comp.sys.apple] Pro-Beagle FTP?

saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/30/89)

Anyone know how to FTP to Pro-Beagle?  I know their address is
pro-beagle.cts.com, but when I try to FTP to that address, the mainframe tells
me, "Unknown host."  What gives?

! Scott Alfter        !   Go   ! McCoy:  ...they don't exactly like you.      !
! alftersoft@uiuc.edu ! Illini ! Kirk:  I know, Bones.  The feeling's mutual. !

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (12/01/89)

In article <113300190@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Anyone know how to FTP to Pro-Beagle?  I know their address is
>pro-beagle.cts.com, but when I try to FTP to that address, the mainframe tells
>me, "Unknown host."  What gives?

FTP is not magic.  Both the sender and receiver need to have FTP running,
and I don't think proline software supports it (nor rlogin, or finger, or
talk, or ...)

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

abc@BRL.MIL (Brinton Cooper) (12/01/89)

Andy McFadden and Scott Alfter write:

>In article <113300190@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
writes:

>>Anyone know how to FTP to Pro-Beagle?  I know their address is
>>pro-beagle.cts.com, but when I try to FTP to that address, the mainframe tells
>>me, "Unknown host."  What gives?
> >FTP is not magic. Both the sender and receiver need to have FTP running,
>and I don't think proline software supports it (nor rlogin, or finger, or
>talk, or ...)
> >-- >fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
>...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

It's more than that.  All that is implied by the address
pro-beagle.cts.com is that they can receive e-mail, that is, that
there's an "MX record" for that host.  It does not imply that they
are connected to the Internet, and, in fact, this host is not.  There is
no numerical Internet address (of the form n1.n2.n3.n4) that I can
find.  So they probably support none of the utilities so common in the
TCP/IP world; or, if they do, they're not connected to the Internet
world.

_Brint

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/01/89)

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU writes:

>FTP is not magic.  Both the sender and receiver need to have FTP running,
>and I don't think proline software supports it (nor rlogin, or finger, or
>talk, or ...)

     I think the person was under the assumption that pro-beagle.cts.com
was a Unix machine.  FTP is only magic when it's (not) running on the machines
here... :-I

>--
>fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
>...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu

steve@chimayo.unm.edu (Steven Jorgensen) (12/03/89)

ken-b@uiuc.edu writes:

>     I think the person was under the assumption that pro-beagle.cts.com
>was a Unix machine.  FTP is only magic when it's (not) running on the machines
>here... :-I

	Well, I can't seem to access it either, could somebody post the
internet number?

				Steven Jorgensen
				steve@chimayo.unm.edu
				Electrical and Computer Engineering
				University of New Mexico

rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com (Randy Miller) (12/03/89)

Pro-Beagle is not capable of ANY type of FTP, nor is ANY OTHER PROLINE site.
You'll have to call their Board in San Diego if you want these gems.
(Prolines run on Apple II's, FYI)
Randy Miller
rs.miller@pro-harvest

llp@psuhcx.psu.edu (Laura L. Pauley) (12/05/89)

In article <1042@ariel.unm.edu> steve@chimayo.unm.edu (Steven Jorgensen) writes:
|ken-b@uiuc.edu writes:
|
|>     I think the person was under the assumption that pro-beagle.cts.com
|>was a Unix machine.  FTP is only magic when it's (not) running on the machines
|>here... :-I
|
|	Well, I can't seem to access it either, could somebody post the
|internet number?

I just used nslookup and it returned....

>% nslookup pro-beagle.cts.com
>Server:  psuvax1.cs.psu.edu
>Address:  128.118.6.2
>
>*** No address information is available for pro-beagle.cts.com
I would like to know what the internet numbers are also.  I wonder if you can
do file requests from it?

On Thu, 30 Nov 89 03:22:00 GMT you said:
>Anyone know how to FTP to Pro-Beagle?  I know their address is
>pro-beagle.cts.com, but when I try to FTP to that address, the mainframe tells
>me, "Unknown host."  What gives?

ALL of the Pro-Lines are UUCP hosts (not on the Internet).  As others have
already pointed out MANY hosts which have domain style addresses aren't
connected to the Internet and don't support FTP.

The way to tell is to query your nameserver and see if the host has an
"A record" (with a numerical address).

Alas, we can't get the proffered Beagle Brothers software via ftp (or
server either).  Nice thought though.

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (12/07/89)

In article <1946@psuhcx.psu.edu>, llp@psuhcx.psu.edu (Laura L. Pauley) writes:

> I just used nslookup and it returned....

> >*** No address information is available for pro-beagle.cts.com
> I would like to know what the internet numbers are also.  I wonder if you can
> do file requests from it?

pro-beagle is not an ftp site and not capable of ftp transfers.  pro-beagle
and any site prefixed with 'pro' is a proline site and is incapable of
ftp transfers.

If they were, it would surprise the [insert expletive] out of me... fer sure.

andy

--
Andy Nicholas             GEnie, AM-Online: shrinkit
Box 435, Moravian College       CompuServe: 70771,2615