[comp.sys.apple] Educational Discounts

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (12/20/88)

>A mathematics teacher in the Ithaca School District (Ithaca, NY) has asked me
>to inquire whether the Apple Educational Discount Program for Public School
>Teachers still exists. If it does, how does he proceed to make contact with
>it?
In this area the educational discount is handled within a department of the
university. Our local dealer cannot give the discount. Obviously the subject
of educational discounts does not come up very often at the most logical place
to check, which would be the local dealer. I would suggest that the teacher
check with Cornell to see if they can put him in touch with the right person.
If this doesn't work send me a note and I will ask the person who handles it
locally to try to find out where the teacher should go for the discount.

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (12/21/88)

In article <8812200101.aa15387@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:
>A mathematics teacher in the Ithaca School District (Ithaca, NY) has asked me
>to inquire whether the Apple Educational Discount Program for Public School
>Teachers still exists. If it does, how does he proceed to make contact with
>it?

The program in question is called, I believe, 'Apple for the Teacher'.
You need to contact a dealer, preferably one used to dealing with schools
and inquire about it.  Basically, you get a selection of packaged Apple ][
and Mac systems (example: ][GS 512K, 1 each 3.5" & 5.25" drives, RGB monitor)
at roughly 40% off retail.  You can also get an Imagewriter as part of the
deal.  You can only use this once, and your school has to provide some
note on school letterhead saying you really are a teacher/principal/etc.
The dealer's role is strictly to provide a drop point for Apple to ship
to; the order form with payment goes directly to the Apple regional
center (Charlotte NC for the east, I think; ours went there).  We bought
a GS package last summer through this program shortly after it began, and
the turnaround was roughly 3 weeks.

Hope this helps.
						Bob Halloran
UUCP: att!mtune!rkh				Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: 17 Lakeland Dr, Port Monmouth NJ 07758	DDD: 201-495-6621 eve ET
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "History is made at night.  Character is what you are in the dark!"
  - Dr. Lizardo, "Buckaroo Banzai"

erast1@cisunx.UUCP (Evan Ron Aussenberg) (12/22/88)

In article <7887@mtune.ATT.COM> rkh@mtune.UUCP (Robert Halloran) writes:
>In article <8812200101.aa15387@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:
>>A mathematics teacher in the Ithaca School District (Ithaca, NY) has asked me
>>to inquire whether the Apple Educational Discount Program for Public School
>>Teachers still exists. If it does, how does he proceed to make contact with
>>it?
>
>The program in question is called, I believe, 'Apple for the Teacher'.
>You need to contact a dealer, preferably one used to dealing with schools
>and inquire about it....

I bought my IIgs via this program.  I'd ask the principal of the school for
the Dealer's name.  At my dealer there is a person who is the 'Educational
Consultant.'  And, she knows her stuff.

The dealer will have all the proper forms for you fill out and get
filled out by your principal.

>Uou can only use this once...

Not true any longer.  The new policy I believe is that you may make use of
the program every 2 years providing that each purchase is a different system.

>the turnaround was roughly 3 weeks.

True enough.  I received mine in 2 weeds and 2 days.

Good luck,

	Evan
		erast1@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu
		erast1@cisunx.UUCP

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (12/22/88)

Thanks for the information.

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

JCKASPER@MTUS5.BITNET ("John C. Kasperski ", Otherwise known as Jc) (11/15/89)

Matt Deatherage writes:

> Ahem...Apple *does* have educational prices for all its products. Most people
> just don't happen to be schools.

I have a question for you then... How does a college student purchase an
Apple IIGS?  The college bookstore on campus sells plenty of Mac's for a
small discount (less than other bookstores), but refuses to even consider
selling an Apple IIGS.  Several of my friends are interested in the GS, but
refuse to pay the overpriced retail cost.  IF the bookstore sold the IIGS
with an educational discount I'm sure they'd probably buy it.  WHY isn't
the Apple IIGS included in college bookstores?  The demand *IS* there...

    John C. Kasperski, "Jc"                     Bitnet: JCKASPER @ MTUS5
    Disclaimer:  The only foolish question, is the one that goes unasked.

As Rick Fleischman has already pointed out, but bears repetition:

I was merely trying to state that Apple has *educational* prices.  If you're
a school, you can buy Apple products at a discount.

So then everyone says "so tell me why I can't buy a such-and-such at my school,
huh?"  Well, you're not a school.  You're a student.  Subtle though it may
be, there is a difference.

As to why Apple II products are not available at such-and-such a school (or
most schools, or any schools) to students or faculty at a discount, I don't
know.  If I have a chance, I might try to find out.

Everyone needs to calm down.  I'm smiling through all this, but it's not easy
sometimes.  Take a deep breath.  Type the names of ProDOS calls in rot13 mode.
Count the memory used by AppleWorks GS if bytes were 7 bits long.  Write your
own version of GS/OS in AppleSoft.  But try to relax.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (11/16/89)

In article <8911141459.aa13231@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> JCKASPER@MTUS5.BITNET ("John C. Kasperski   ", Otherwise known as  Jc) writes:
>WHY isn't the Apple IIGS included in college bookstores?

Have you asked your bookstore WHY?  What was their answer?

I suspect there is a problem, but I don't know if it's Apple's,
the bookstore's, yours, or what.

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (11/16/89)

mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
> As Rick Fleischman has already pointed out, but bears repetition:
>
>So then everyone says "so tell me why I can't buy a such-and-such at my school
> huh?"  Well, you're not a school.  You're a student.  Subtle though it may
> be, there is a difference.
>
> As to why Apple II products are not available at such-and-such a school (or
> most schools, or any schools) to students or faculty at a discount, I don't
> know.  If I have a chance, I might try to find out.

Please do.

I am the President of the Apple // User's Group here at CMU. We have
rather ambitious projects in various stages of seeing reality, most
notably a TCP/IP program that would run through Appletalk/Kinetics
fastpath gateways (If an Amiga and PC can do it....)

The Local Apple Computer Representatives were impressed by our
ambition enough to try and get us a machine for development. But this
fell through, because the Pittsburgh Division did not have a machine
(they are a small operation) and could not carry enough weight to pull
any strings. It was a major disappointment.

They DID explain that Apple signs a Contract with University Computer
Stores in the Apple University Consortium program. In short, No Non Mac
Products (hey.... what is the one Apple product that's Non Mac?)

The Irony of all this is that these same stores sell IBM stuff...
seems counterproductive to me.

I will NOT let this issue go. This is a deliberate moveby Apple. I want an
explanation from those who imposed it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Jeremy Mereness                  |   Support     | Disclaimer:             |
| jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |     Free      |  The above represent my |
| r746jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |      Software |  opinions, alone.       |
| a student at Carnegie Mellon U.  |               |  Void where prohibited. |

lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (Les Barstow: Phoenix) (11/17/89)

Matt,

Although we may not be schools ourselves, our campus bookstore can sell
Macs for the standard discount (with the notes that you can't re-sell
the computer for two years, etc...).  However, when I asked them about
buying a GS, they said 'We can't get them...they're not in the deal'.

I find that kind of one-sided...I would probably have bought my computer
from the campus bookstore if I'd been able to...as is, I went to
Frederick Computer (Frederick, MD), as they have the volume sales to
offer the lowest price...BTW, I recommend them to anyone that's in the
area.

--
Les Barstow                         | Your best flamage could be here!
...rochester!rit!ultb!lmb7421.UUCP  | Contact /dev/null for details.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (11/18/89)

In article <1623@ultb.UUCP> lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (Les Barstow: Phoenix) writes:
>...as is, I went to Frederick Computer (Frederick, MD), as they have the
>volume sales to offer the lowest price...BTW, I recommend them to anyone
>that's in the area.

I wouldn't -- several years ago they refused to service an Apple //e
that they hadn't sold, despite advertising themselves as an authorized
Apple dealer.  (I brought the computer with me when I moved from across
the country.)  Every time I drop in there the selection of Apple II
software is much sparser than elsewhere.  I think they're another
dealer who jumped on the IBM bandwagon but will be happy to take your
money so long as they don't have to earn it.

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (11/18/89)

In article <11640@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <1623@ultb.UUCP> lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (Les Barstow: Phoenix) writes:
>>volume sales to offer the lowest price...BTW, I recommend them to anyone
>>that's in the area.
>
>I wouldn't -- several years ago they refused to service an Apple //e
>that they hadn't sold, despite advertising themselves as an authorized
>Apple dealer....

Well, maybe there service isn't the greatest, but how many Apple dealers
do you know that do provide good service for Apple II's?  However, if
you're looking for the best price, they usually have it.  I got my IIGS
there for less than mail order prices, and most their other hardware
is priced likewise (like an Apple SCSI card for $104).  Plus, unlike mail
order, you can walk out with your purchase that day.  For service, find
a dealer with good service (if you can :^).

Well, this is probably enough on this thread.  Sorry to have continued it.

Ray
---

Ray Rankins          |  (518) 387-7340  | INTERNET: rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |  (518) 583-3320  | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |                  | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>

mikes@shumv1.uucp (Michael Steele) (11/18/89)

In article <EZMZg1G00XohE2prY_@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) writes:
>mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>> As to why Apple II products are not available at such-and-such a school (or
>> most schools, or any schools) to students or faculty at a discount, I don't
>> know.  If I have a chance, I might try to find out.
>
>Please do.

	YES!!!!!  PLEASE DO!!!!!  Once again I would like to thank the
Apple folks who are on the network and responding to our questions...we are
NOT flaming at you!!!  We are complaining about your marketing
department. If you know anyone there, foward this discussion to them so
that they might understand our displeasure.

>They DID explain that Apple signs a Contract with University Computer
>Stores in the Apple University Consortium program. In short, No Non Mac
>Products (hey.... what is the one Apple product that's Non Mac?)
> Jeremy Mereness

Yes the schools have the "option" of selling GS's.  BUT the people who
are selling them the contracts aren't suggesting that they purchase
GS's, only Macs.  That's why there aren't more that 4 or 5 colleges
in the country that offer GS's in the same way they offer Macs.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Michael Steele			mikes@shumv1.ncsu.edu
	mikes@ccvr1.ncsu.edu 		ALINK: MikeSteele
	mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu	 	BITNET: netoprms@ncsuvm.bitnet

cyliao@wam.UMD.EDU (11/19/89)

Les Barstow recommanded the Frederick Computer to people live in that area.
I think people also like to know the address and phone # of the place. I'd
like to see if someone can post their addr and phone # for people who don't
know where the Frederick Computer is.

Thanks in advance to whoever will do it.

| "When is a revolution legal? When it   |Chun Yao Liao +++ cyliao@wam.umd.edu|
|  succeeds." -August Strindberg         |    The Oriental from Argentina!    |
|___________Don't we need a revolution on the computer technology?____________|

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (11/23/89)

From article <36493@apple.Apple.COM>, by mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage):
> As Rick Fleischman has already pointed out, but bears repetition:
>
> I was merely trying to state that Apple has *educational* prices.  If you're
> a school, you can buy Apple products at a discount.

Matt, I realize you aren't "marketing" so you don't have any control here.
But I think this should be said.  The *educational* setup is very limited.
I am "not a school" personally, but I am on the computer committee at my
daughter's school.  We tried to get some Apple's for our school.  We wanted
to start small, (only five) and add more each year.  We were told that since
we were a private (K to 7) school we didn't "qualify" for any discount.  This
didn't make sense to me.  So we are small (only 250 students), but we are
still part of the market.  Why would Apple have these limitations?  Being a
private school, 90% of our kids will go on to college, the majority will
become professionals and will buy computers for themselves and possibly
effect their business' purchases.  Why exclude a group that is so ripe for
future sales?  (Especially when Tandy Corp. was thrilled to give us a
discount and provide systems for us.)

> As to why Apple II products are not available at such-and-such a school (or
> most schools, or any schools) to students or faculty at a discount, I don't
> know.  If I have a chance, I might try to find out.

I would appriciate it if you could ask my question too, then I could have
an answer for our school's parents as well.  Thanks.

> Everyone needs to calm down. [...]  But try to relax.

So far I've tried to stay out of this because I feel the discussion is
counter-productive to the advise and help we are getting (for free) from
Apple DTS (since there is little you can do about it.)  But I decided to
set the record straight on the schools issue.

Incidentally, I managed to convince the committee to buy 10 Laser 128's
instead of the Radio Shack PC compat. because of the s/w base out there for
the Apple II line.  Some people were unhappy though.  They said that the IBM
was the new cpu standard and kids should learn on it from the beginning.

I'll get back off my horse and not say another word.

Thanks for trying to tackle these issues.
Phil

> Matt Deatherage,

| Grampa says when he was a kid they did math with a trig. book|
| Phil Lindberg	      		 snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| UUCP: ..!uunet!bcstec!tahoma!prl3546    Renton, WA 98056     |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not      |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	       |

abc@BRL.MIL (Brinton Cooper) (12/01/89)

I don't know  who told you that your school doesn't "qualify" for an
educational discount.  Did  you speak to a genuine Apple
Factory-Authorized dealer?

(Any teacher is eligible to buy ONE Apple computer on the "educational
discount."  He/she documents his/her official standing as a teacher to
the dealer at the time of purchase. If your state authorities recognize
your school, I believe Apple will also.)

(It is my impression that these teacher discounts are given in
recognition of the large, unreimbursed, out-of-pocket expenses
which teachers make every year.  Also, I'm sure that they make good
business sense.)

I'm sure that Tandy Corp would love to take a deep loss in order to get
some of their machines into your or any schools--public or private.
They had their chance years ago and simply wouldn't help out the
schools.  Apple stepped in and has become the de facto elementary school
standard in many districts.

You said, " I am on the computer committee at my daughter's school.  We
tried to get some Apple's for our school...."

I believe that "appearance" is as important as reality here.  If the
"computer committee" was talking to the dealer or to Apple, you might
well have not appeared sufficiently "official."  When my wife's PTA
wants to buy the school a couple of machines, I believe that they always
operate through the offices of the school system, making the latter the
official customer.  As a "computer committee," I'd bet that you really
have no *official* relationship to the school.  Conversely, I'd  bet
that if the school's principal or other headperson showed up at the
dealer with a Purchase Order in hand, discounts would be found all over
the place.

We've found that Apple is very careful about this; having exercised her
"teacher's discount," my wife is prevented from buying another machine
at that discount for some number (five??) of years.  They don't want her
being an unofficial dealer!

"Incidentally, I managed to convince the committee to buy 10 Laser
128's"

I think that you moved too fast; I'll just bet that there's a discount
waiting for you.  Good luck!

_Brint

gsf@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Glenn Fowler[drew]) (12/01/89)

In article <8911302148.aa18241@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, abc@BRL.MIL (Brinton Cooper) writes:
> I don't know  who told you that your school doesn't "qualify" for an
> educational discount.  Did  you speak to a genuine Apple
> Factory-Authorized dealer?

my wife is a nursery school teacher - we attempted to use
the apple educational discount but were disqualified by apple in NC

the fine print print requires an `accredited' school, where
`accredited' is stronger than `licensed'
--
Glenn Fowler    (201)-582-2195    AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ
uucp: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!gsf       internet: gsf@ulysses.att.com

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (12/08/89)

From article <12449@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, by gsf@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Glenn Fowler[drew]):
> In article <8911302148.aa18241@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, abc@BRL.MIL (Brinton Cooper) writes:
>> I don't know  who told you that your school doesn't "qualify" for an
>> educational discount.  Did  you speak to a genuine Apple
>> Factory-Authorized dealer?
>
> the fine print print requires an `accredited' school, where
> `accredited' is stronger than `licensed'

> Glenn Fowler

Yes it was an Factory-Authorized dealer (with full MAC support ;) and yes
our school is accredited.
However, we are a private school and don't have a "district office" to go
through with a purchase order.  As far as "official enough" is concerned
Brinton may be right.  "I know" that I have the power to spend any and all
funds in the "Computer" budget and that I would use the school office and
school stationary to do so, but they may not have believed that.  I'll ask
the school principal to contact the dealer next time.