[comp.sys.apple] Music Studio

Donnaruma@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (09/25/87)

Can someone elaborate further on what they meant about this program not
working with the new ROMs.  I just purchased it and then heard this.  I
still may be able to cancel the order.

HI-MULTICS

Donnaruma@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (11/10/87)

I would really like to run this program from my hard disk but with the
copy protection I can't.  If somebody has the patch to unprotect it I
would appreciate it.  Please respond via e-mail.
    Thanks in advance..............Donnaruma at Hi-Multics

DSEAH@WPI.BITNET (04/05/88)

I recently bought Music Studio GS, and here are some initial reactions
to version 2.0.  I haven't used it much yet, so this will be pretty
dry.

Unlike Music Construction Set, Music Studio allows up to 15 separate
instruments at a time.  MCS is limited to two.  It support Apple MIDI
in addition to the Passport MIDI interface.  It also supports separate
recording track.  If you can't read music, there is a "music paintbox"
that represents note duration by the size of a block on the score.
Different instruments are represented by color.  A sound envelope
editor for instruments allows you to modify attack, decay, sustain and
release. You can not draw a waveform and hear it play.  You can only
change the sound envelope. You can have repeats, triplets, dotted
notes, and inverted notes too.  The interface is mousebased in what
looks like 640x200 mode with dithered colors.  You can cut and paste
measures anywhere.  The package comes with the unprotected program
disk and an additional Songs and Instruments disk.  There are
synthesized and digitized waveforms to choose from.  The digitized
waveforms are pretty big (up to 64K) and limit the number of
instruments you can have.  Instruments from Instant Music can be used,
but there are some compatibility problems.

The program is a little on the slow side when it comes to manipulating
notes.  It takes upwards to 3 seconds for the computer to redraw notes
on the screen when you "scroll" through the measures.  Should be no
problem when Apple puts some *&!$@ speed in the GS.  The program plays
notes while you are figuring out where to put something in the measures.
I think you can turn this off.  Overall, the program is pretty decent
as a regular music composition program.  There are not many things in
the way of special effects like volume sliders, pitch benders or
LFO modulation.  I would really like to see a GS program that can do
this.  I think that MCS has better sound output, but that is because
Music Studio comes with zilcho demo songs.  The fugues and canons sound
a little disorted, and the contemporary stuff is written either by
some dude named Chris French or (shudder) Ed Bogas.  They are nice little
ho-hum generic jazz songs, but they all sound the same and simple
compared to the songs in Activision's Winter Games GS.  MCS demo songs
blow Music Studio away.  I wish I had waited for Deluxe Music Construction
Set.  Music Studio is still a more complete program than MCS in my
opinion.  I suspect that there will be a Music Studio -> Deluxe MCS
comparison equivalent to Paintworks Plus -> Deluxe Paint II.

 Dave Seah - Worcester Polytechnic Institute

taro@uhccux.UUCP (Taro Nobusawa) (04/08/88)

In article <8804042308.AA05984@wpi.local> DSEAH@WPI.BITNET writes:
>I recently bought Music Studio GS, and here are some initial reactions
>to version 2.0.  I haven't used it much yet, so this will be pretty
>dry.

What's the diffs between this version and the original?  Besides it being able
to work on new version ROMS.  I've read stuff in their adds that dynamics can n
be changed in the middle of the piece, as can key signature, is this in this
version, 2.0?  This would be great news, that was one of the major shor-
commings I found with the original version.

>                    The package comes with the unprotected program
>disk and an additional Songs and Instruments disk.  There are
>synthesized and digitized waveforms to choose from.  The digitized
>waveforms are pretty big (up to 64K) and limit the number of
>instruments you can have.  Instruments from Instant Music can be used,
>but there are some compatibility problems.

This sounds interesting!  Anyone know how to sample your own sounds and use
them in Music Studio?  That would be great!  I have the SuperSonic digitizer
and next to nothing to use it for.

                                 Overall, the program is pretty decent
>as a regular music composition program.  There are not many things in
>the way of special effects like volume sliders, pitch benders or
>LFO modulation.  I would really like to see a GS program that can do
>this.  I think that MCS has better sound output, but that is because
>Music Studio comes with zilcho demo songs.  The fugues and canons sound

I think alot of the MCS samples sound much better/realistic.  I was tempted
to buy MCS because of this, but Music Studio was more powerful for inputing
complex pieces.  I'd like to see what Deluxe MCS can do.

>a little disorted, and the contemporary stuff is written either by
>some dude named Chris French or (shudder) Ed Bogas.  They are nice little
>ho-hum generic jazz songs, but they all sound the same and simple
>compared to the songs in Activision's Winter Games GS.  MCS demo songs
                          ^^^^^^^^^^,by Epyx, isn't it, is Epyx owned by
Activision?  Yes! that music is awesome!
>blow Music Studio away.  I wish I had waited for Deluxe Music Construction
>Set.
Is the GS version of Dluxe MCS out??  I haven't seen mention of it anywhere
yet.  I've resisted the urge to buy MCS because I'm waiting for Deluxe to
come out, I have the first version of Music Studio right now and find it
well suited for my needs.

--
"Mad as a hen wetter...goodbye and good day.   THPPT" -Opus
Taro Nobusawa  		taro@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

DSEAH@WPI.BITNET (04/11/88)

Here is a more complete rundown of Music Studio GS 2.0, right off the package:

Over 15 new features

o Real time MIDI input/output           o Over 20 new digitized sounds
o Change key signatures anywhere        o Change volume and tempo at any time
o Change note stem direction            o Merge songs together
o Automatically insert measure bars     o "Jukebox" plays multiple songs
o Change note duration automatically      automatically

Supports the following MIDI interfaces:  Apple MIDI Interface, Opcode Studio
Plus Two & The Professional Plus, Passport MNIDI Interface, for Apple II
(MIDI out only)

I goofed when I said that Winter Games GS was by Activision.  Epyx really
is the publisher.  And the music is still awesome.

RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") (12/05/89)

  Philip McDunnough writes......
>This may be related: Test Drive II gives a "fragmented memory" error message
>when I tyr to run it.

I don't know about Music Studio, but Test Drive II does not like ram drives..

Robert Brown
Bitnet: RXBROWN@UALR
America online: ROBPHD

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (12/05/89)

Speaking of Music Studio, does anyone know if they are going to come
out with Music Studio 3.0 for the IIGS?  I saw it in an ad for
Electronics Boutique for the IBM.  It looked pretty nice with multiple
staves and a bunch of features.  A lot more professional looking than
Music Studio 2.0.

BTW, has anyone been in an Electronics Boutique that had a decent
selection of Apple software?  The ones around here (Albany, NY area)
have to have one of the worst I've seen, and getting worse.  They now
have all Apple //, IIGS and Mactinosh stuff mixed together in one tiny
section labeled "Apple", yet they have half a wall devoted to
Commodore 64/128.  And the stuff they do have is only the most
recently released stuff (primarily games).  If you want anything
released a year ago, good luck.  They also appear to have stopped
carrying any Apple related magazines.  I really don't understand their
actions, because when I used to work for them in Maryland a couple of
years ago, the majority of the customers that came in were looking for
Apple software, most of which we didn't carry.  If they carried more
Apple software, maybe they would see an increase in sales, but with
poor selection, people are obviously going to go elsewhere.  I'd like
to support the local retailers, but these types of actions only force
me to purchase from the mail order companies where I can get selection
as well as best price.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.  I think I'll send similar comments
along to the head of the company.

Ray
---

Ray Rankins          |  (518) 387-7340  | INTERNET: rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |  (518) 583-3320  | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |                  | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>

ST802148@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Evan) (12/06/89)

In responce to the comment about Electronics Boutique, I had the same thing
happen to me in a mall by me (Nanuet, NY). I went in expecting to find a wall
of Apple software, as usual. I looked at the top of the shelves for a label
saying APPLE, but only found stretches of IBM, AMIGA, and C64.  I asked someone
where the apple software was and they directed me to the rear of the store,
where a small corner had 2 shelves of Apple Software. And it wasn't like the
wares were separated by function (games/word processing/etc). No, rather they
were thrown together like I was at a garage sale, or discontiued cheap software
that was put in a bin. I was totally outraged. The future of the // line looks
dim.... (Oh, the GS had its own, well stocked region.)

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (12/06/89)

In article <8912051720.AA08252@apple.com> ST802148@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Evan) writes:
>dim.... (Oh, the GS had its own, well stocked region.)

Really?  The ones around here don't even have a good stock of IIGS stuff
other than the latest games.

Question, why do these mall stores carry so much Commodore 64/128 stuff?  Are
there that many more Commodore owners than Apple owners to justify this?
If retail stores still keep supporting dinosaurs like the Commodore 64,
why is the Apple II line getting such poor retail support?

Ray
---

Ray Rankins          |  (518) 387-7340  | INTERNET: rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |  (518) 583-3320  | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |                  | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>

yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) (12/06/89)

Speaking of GS software, there have been more releases than the ones
advertised in the magazines. I have seen copies of several new games
such as Keef the Thief, Life and Death, Firepower GS, Prince of
Persia, Tunnels of Armageddon etc.
It seems that software development for the GS has received low
advertising priority but there is still support for GS software which
can only be good news.
|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu        |||||||||||Yong Su Kim||||||||||||
|Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			     |||||The Korean from Hong Kong||||
|UUCP    : uunet!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4 |||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||
|____________________________________________||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (12/07/89)

In article <2370@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) writes:
>Speaking of GS software, there have been more releases than the ones
>advertised in the magazines. I have seen copies of several new games
>such as Keef the Thief, Life and Death, Firepower GS, Prince of
>Persia, Tunnels of Armageddon etc.
>It seems that software development for the GS has received low
>advertising priority but there is still support for GS software which
>can only be good news.

One has to wonder what is going on, though.  I was playing Keef the Thief
(highly recommended) for several days before the latest QuestBusters
arrived with a review of the game.  The IIGS was not even listed among
the "planned conversions" (the IBM version was reviewed).

Has anybody managed to successfully perform the appendectomy in Life
and Death?  I keep getting told I didn't perform a Burney's incision
on the peritoneum even though I always snip it with scissors in the
proper direction using the recommended technique.

jpapo@pro-realm.cts.com (Jeff Papo) (12/08/89)

Yes i agree,  It unfortunatly seems that electronics Botique Really has little
to no selection.  I have been To  2 albany malls a couple of weeks ago and
noticed the same thing.  Down here in Poughkeepsie NY it is the same way, In
many stores Apple is not supported very well...

        Nice chatting with ya!

ProLine: jpapo@pro-realm            BITNET: jpapo%pro-realm.cts.com@nosc.mil
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-realm!jpapo  ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-realm!jpapo@nosc.mil