[comp.sys.apple] System 5.0 and P8

MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET (Uri Srebro) (12/06/89)

     Recently I discovered that System Disk 5.0 (NOT 5.0.2, which I don't yet h
ave) can't launch ProDOS 8 aplicaitions writen specificaly for the GS (it can l
aunch Appleworks, but not ProntShop GS or Bards Tale). I presume this is conect
ed in some way to the handling of RAM. Does 5.0.2 fix this bug, or is there any
 patch for it ? Who's fault is it ?

                          Nathan Srebro
                          Haifa, Israel
MAR21AA @ Technion.BITNET

In article <8912061511.AA01322@apple.com> MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET (Uri Srebro) writes:

>     Recently I discovered that System Disk 5.0 (NOT 5.0.2, which I don't yet h
>ave) can't launch ProDOS 8 aplicaitions writen specificaly for the GS (it can l
>aunch Appleworks, but not ProntShop GS or Bards Tale). I presume this is conect
>ed in some way to the handling of RAM. Does 5.0.2 fix this bug, or is there any
> patch for it ? Who's fault is it ?
>
>                          Nathan Srebro

It's news to me; I haven't heard of this.  I *have* heard of problems with
Broderbund's Print Shop GS on the new ROM 03 machine because whatever they
used for copy protection isn't supported on the new machine (the firmware
address probably changed or something like that).  Broderbund is offering
an upgrade policy to its customers.

I have not heard of problems like these on ROM 01 machines.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (12/08/89)

In article <8912061511.AA01322@apple.com> MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET (Uri Srebro) writes:
>Recently I discovered that System Disk 5.0 (NOT 5.0.2, which I don't yet have
>can't launch ProDOS 8 aplicaitions writen specificaly for the GS (it can
>launch Appleworks, but not ProntShop GS or Bards Tale). I presume this is
>conected in some way to the handling of RAM. Does 5.0.2 fix this bug, or is
>there any patch for it ? Who's fault is it ?
>
>                          Nathan Srebro
>                          Haifa, Israel
>MAR21AA @ Technion.BITNET

I've haven't heard about any problems like this before, so I don't know
what's happening.  I haven't come across P8 programs that have the
problem, but my first guess is that they are using memory outside banks
0 and 1 without allocating it through the memory manager.  Has anyone
else had a problem like this & investigated it?
--

 --David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
   Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.