[comp.sys.apple] Apple Networks

ciotti@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Robert B. Ciotti) (12/07/89)

A friend of mine is putting together a bunch of apple systems
and needs to network them together to share common files. He
is currently choosing between PSN (Personal Server Network)
and a new product by 'Jasmin' that is just a file server. Does
anyone out there have experience with the Jasmin or PSN or
have a better idea or know of other products or ...

Bob

ciotti@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Robert B. Ciotti) (12/08/89)

I'm still smoking from putting this in comp.sys.apple... but

 A friend of mine is putting together a bunch of apple systems
 and needs to network them together to share common files. He
 is currently choosing between PSN (Personal Server Network)
 and a new product by 'Jasmin' that is just a file server. Does
 anyone out there have experience with the Jasmin or PSN or
 have a better idea or know of other products or ...

 Some problems I have heard about each.
  PSN basically requires you to have a dedicated machine for the server
      to insure prompt access to files. Also, if you want to add more
      clients, you have to pay more $ for each machine (no site licence
      for PSN client software).

  Jasmin - Doesn't use mac file formats. If the server dies, Jasmin takes
    in the months to fix it. Third party, how long will they be around?

 Bob

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (12/08/89)

In article <4114@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> ciotti@orville.nas.nasa.gov (Robert B. Ciotti) writes:

>I'm still smoking from putting this in comp.sys.apple... but

Since the Apple IIe and IIgs can network now, I think this is appropriate for
this newsgroup.  You don't want to do like I did and spend $300 on PSN only to
find that the IIgs and IIe can't use it because it is AFP 1.1 NOT 2.0 (after
being assured by someone at the company that it was 2.0).

> Some problems I have heard about each.
>  PSN basically requires you to have a dedicated machine for the server
>      to insure prompt access to files. Also, if you want to add more
>      clients, you have to pay more $ for each machine (no site licence
>      for PSN client software).

PSN has no client software.  Its client software is the plain old
AppleShare workstation software packed with every Mac (since System 6.0
I think).  PSN does limit the number of users who can log onto a server
so you do have to pay about $150 per user to get extra log ins.

Since PSN allows you to run programs in the foreground while it runs in
the background, speed degradation will occur particularly if you run heavy
duty or disk intensive stuff in the foreground.  However PSN's biggest
advantage is that you don't have to dedicate the machine.  Get AppleShare for
that, otherwise run it on the fastest thing you've got.

Rick Fincher
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu