[comp.sys.apple] A Note to Beagle Bros.

Les_Ferch@MTSG.UBC.CA (12/04/89)

After logging onto Pro-Beagle and downloading some software I
decided to write the following note and post it on Pro-Beagle.
I have posted it here as well for anyone interested in the
Beagle oldies.
Thank you for providing the old Beagle classics on-line.

I downloaded three files, d.code.shk, pro.byter.shk, and
beagle.bag.shk and noticed a few problems:

1. D.code.shk contained two Shrinkit files, the first was the D.Code
disk which contained both ProDOS and DOS 3.3 files and the second
was a copy of PRODOS DOUBLE-TAKE.  If I wanted Double-Take, I would
have downloaded the file double.take.shk.  For the sake of others
who do not wish to waste their time and long-distance money, please
remove Double-Take fromm the D.Code file.

2. The Pro-Byter program is a dissapointment.  It seems to only
provide a 40 column display, but worse is that it has HARD CODED
pathnames in many of the programs.  I spent an hour or so going
through the files to get rid of this example of bad programming
practise.  Hard-coded pathnames should be removed from all Beagle
ware, so that people with 3.5" and hard drives can run these things
easily.  I know the software is unsupported, but this is a simple
fix that should be done to preserve Beagle Bros. good reputation.

3. The programs D.Code and Double.Take are easily the best programs
posted, but they are somewhat limited in usefulness without GPLE.
Since you sell Program Writer, its pretty silly for someone to want
to buy GPLE, so why not post it on Pro-Beagle as well?  But, perhaps
you're worried that a free GPLE will cut into Program Writer sales?

4. Your BBS should have stated that XMODEM is the protocol being
used, so we don't have to guess at our ends.  Better yet, would be
to provide ZMODEM protocol, as one can only get about 60% efficiency
with XMODEM, but ZMODEM provides 80-90% efficiency.

5. I own a number of Beagle products, and I would only want to
download programs that I have if they are newer versions.  However,
the version number and/or date is not included in the file list. It
would help a lot if it was.

6. A lot of Beagle programs are obvious to operate, but some of the
best ones (such as D.Code and Double-Take) are not.  Without manuals
these programs are very difficult to figure out. All that is really
needed, is a short text file included in the archive of each program
that lists any non-obvious things like which keys to press to invoke
a certain function.

7. Many people do not have 5.25" drives anymore.  The archives of
ProDOS stuff should be Shrinkit FILE archives instead of whole disk
archives.  I was forced to use a friend's Apple II to dearchive
because my IIgs *only* has a 3.5" drive and a hard drive.

8. Most people use ProDOS these days and have no need or desire for
the DOS 3.3 versions of Beagle programs.  It would be very helpful
if you separated the archives so that ProDOS files are separate from
DOS 3.3 files.

IN SUMMARY, I SUGGEST THE FOLLOWING CHANGES TO THE PRO-BEAGLE
POSTINGS:

1. Separate D.Code from Double.Take please.
2. Remove hard-coded pathnames from programs such as Pro-Byter.
3. Post GPLE please.
4. State that XMODEM is being used and support ZMODEM if possible.
5. Post the version number and/or revision date in the file list.
6. Include a text file of instructions for programs like D.Code.
7. Archive all ProDOS programs as FILE archives, NOT disk archives.
8. Separate DOS 3.3 stuff from ProDOS stuff.  For example:
   d33.dub.take.shk
   d33.d.code.shk
   d33.extra.k.shk
   pro.dub.take.shk
   pro.d.code.shk
   pro.extra.k.shk

If the above suggestions were made, it would have only taken me 5
minutes to download the ProDOS D.CODE instead of 20 minutes.  I'm
sure everybody would appreciate being able to save that much time
and money.

The above changes should only take someone a few hours to do.  I'd
be glad to do the work myself if I was in a local calling area, but
alas, I'm calling from Canada.  I know there is no direct profit in
making the above changes, but for the sake of customers like myself
who have supported you and for the sake of maintaining a good
reputation (which *could* possibly help sales) it should be done.

Les Ferch                 Internet: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
UBC PC Support Centre     Bitnet:   USERLSF@UBCMTSG
Vancouver, B.C.

blochowi@rt8.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (12/05/89)

In article <1937063@mtsg.ubc.ca> Les_Ferch@MTSG.UBC.CA writes:
> [LOTS of stuff deleted]
>7. Many people do not have 5.25" drives anymore.  The archives of
>ProDOS stuff should be Shrinkit FILE archives instead of whole disk
>archives.  I was forced to use a friend's Apple II to dearchive
>because my IIgs *only* has a 3.5" drive and a hard drive.

	Uh, last time I checked, ShrinkIt could UnShrink 5.25" disk images
to 3.5" disks (or an 800k /RAM5) - I believe Andy put this feature in for
people specifically in your situation. Although I agree that things should be
archived as files whenever possible (me, I don't even like to bother with
3.5" disks), did you even try to UnShrink the disks on your machine?

	Speaking of ShrinkIt - anyone seen beta versions of SI/GS yet?

	Oh, Disclaimer: This is going from my memory, which, as more than
two people are aware of, is not perfect...

--
      Jason Blochowiak - blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.uucp
       "Education, like neurosis, begins at home." - Milton R. Sapirstein

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (12/06/89)

More will likely respond by the time you see this however......

These programs are free, one of the provisos is that they are no longer
supported. Therefor, if they are flawed it is up to you to correct that. Docs
take time to enter, ask a user, like myself, how to use them. I paid $30CAN
for Dcode and it has paid for itself twice over, getting it for $1.50 or so
($.28/hr after midnight) means it pays off faster.

The rest makes sense, I would add that d/l time be posted (estimated) and size
in bytes for those like myself foolish enough not to format their disks ahead
of time.

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (12/07/89)

*** Please do not take this as a flame, it is not ***

In article <1937063@mtsg.ubc.ca>, Les_Ferch@MTSG.UBC.CA writes:

> 4. Your BBS should have stated that XMODEM is the protocol being
> used, so we don't have to guess at our ends.  Better yet, would be
> to provide ZMODEM protocol, as one can only get about 60% efficiency
> with XMODEM, but ZMODEM provides 80-90% efficiency.

pro-beagle is run by ProLine.  ProLine currently does not now, nor is
it likely in the future to, provide ZMODEM as long as it can run on Apple
IIe's.  I certainly not an authority on this subject as I've never seriously
considered the feasibility of implementing ZMODEM, but I've been told many
times by Mrogan Davis, the developer of ProLine, that attempting such
would be a horrendous task, if not impossible.

The best ProLine will probably do is Ymodem and 4modem support, but not ZMODEM
only due to its sheer complexity of design.

Morgan Davis and Don Elton can probably comment on this far better than I
could ever hope to...

> 7. Many people do not have 5.25" drives anymore.  The archives of
> ProDOS stuff should be Shrinkit FILE archives instead of whole disk
> archives.  I was forced to use a friend's Apple II to dearchive
> because my IIgs *only* has a 3.5" drive and a hard drive.

I may not know much about ZMODEM, but I do know what shrinkit is and is not
capable of doing.

If you attempt to unshrink a 5.25" disk onto a 3.5" drive, shrinkit will fix
the bitmap and block count so that the disk you unpacked becomes a perfectly
proper 3.5" ProDOS disk.  Most people have one or the other types of
drives (3.5" or 5.25"), so I don't think it unreasonable to put ProDOS
files on a 5.25" disk.  Packing file-by-file is usually far preferable to
packing by the whole disk, but it's not something that's essential due
to issues of "I have this type of disk drive and you do not..."

In short, you weren't forced to do anything.  That feature has been included
with ShrinkIt since about version 1.0 (since like March or April of this year),
so unless you're using version 0.95 or earlier (please, no!) then everything
should have been just peachy for you.

Read the documentation.  It's been documented there since version 1.0

andy

--
Andy Nicholas             GEnie, AM-Online: shrinkit
Box 435, Moravian College       CompuServe: 70771,2615

In article <3949@puff.cs.wisc.edu>, blochowi@rt8.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) writes:

> 	Speaking of ShrinkIt - anyone seen beta versions of SI/GS yet?

I'll post to the net when beta versions go out.  They haven't been sent out yet
as I'm awaiting a confirmation from Andy McFadden that the new-style CRC's
for the improved archive format are being generated correctly.  Last I
heard, they weren't.  I sent Andy a test archive to check to be sure that
they are generated correctly now.  If everything checks out, i'll send out
test versions of shrinkit gs whenever my work load lightens up enough for me
to do so.  It's the week before finals, otherwise known as "crunch-time"
here at the college...

>       Jason Blochowiak - blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.uucp

andy

--
Andy Nicholas             GEnie, AM-Online: shrinkit
Box 435, Moravian College       CompuServe: 70771,2615
Bethlehem, PA  18018              InterNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu

jeffj@pro-avalon.cts.com (Jeff Jungblut) (12/08/89)

Les Ferch wrote a lot of stuff, which I won't repeat here.

I'll separate D-Code from Double-Take.  Sorry about the goof.  In the transfer
section, I'll add the note to use 128 Xmodem/Checksum, AE/ProDOS mode.
ProLine does not support Zmodem.

The manuals for the some of the old stuff are on 8" disks for some type of
Linotronic machine, not easily portable to ProDOS text format.  They will be
rekeyed and made available on pro-beagle, but not anytime soon.

The disks will stay in ShrinkIt disk format, with both ProDOS and DOS 3.3
versions (where applicable) stored in the same file.  Management wants them
distributed in whole, in the same format as originally distributed (5.25"
disks only.)

GPLE has not been posted (yet) because it was originally licensed from Neil
Konzen, who doesn't work for us.  If/when we get permission from Neil, it will
be made available.  Someone else asked about Power Print; I'll post it
tomorrow if there's a time when someone isn't downloading one of the Beagle
Oldies at 300 baud.  (It was pretty busy today.)

If you want the hard-coded pathnames removed from programs like Pro-Byter, do
it yourself; better yet, buy Program Writer to help you do it.  :-)

I'm sure I have a list of version numbers & revision dates around the office
somewhere; I'll add that information and the file lengths to the file list
when I get a chance.

For those who were still wondering, ProLine doesn't support FTP.  It would be
a neat trick for the Apple IIe, though.  The files are too large to mail,
either in text format or with ProLine's binary rcp transfer.

Someone asked about getting the old stuff through Beagle Buddies; BBuds can,
at their option, copy the programs for their user group people.

Jeff Jungblut
jeffj@pro-avalon.cts.com (preferred) | jeffj@pro-beagle.cts.com
crash!pro-avalon!jeffj               | crash!pro-beagle!jeffj