[comp.sys.apple] Dialer program

ART100@PSUVM.BITNET (Andy Tefft) (12/05/89)

I need a program for my //c that will basically dial the modem at
a particular time. At least that's my overall goal.

I don't have a clock, but if I can find a program that will just dial,
I can kludge up something in Applesoft to approximate the clock (doesn't
have to be real accurate) and then run that program at the right time.

I could also get up one of the interrupt-driven clocks.

Will TIC allow me to do this in any way? I can imagine whipping up a
script that would have a biiiig delay loop and then dials...

I guess the easiest way is to set my watch alarm and wake myself up,
but I want it to be automatic, of course.

Oh, yeah, it's a Hayes compatible modem. Any ideas?

Andy

art100@psuvm.bitnet or psuvm.psu.edu, or {wherever}!psuvax1!psuhcx!a1t

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (12/05/89)

   From: ART100@PSUVM.BITNET (Andy Tefft)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple
   Date: 5 Dec 89 04:12:17 GMT

   I need a program for my //c that will basically dial the modem at
   a particular time. At least that's my overall goal.

   I don't have a clock, but if I can find a program that will just dial,
   I can kludge up something in Applesoft to approximate the clock (doesn't
   have to be real accurate) and then run that program at the right time.

   I could also get up one of the interrupt-driven clocks.

   Will TIC allow me to do this in any way? I can imagine whipping up a
   script that would have a biiiig delay loop and then dials...

   I guess the easiest way is to set my watch alarm and wake myself up,
   but I want it to be automatic, of course.

   Oh, yeah, it's a Hayes compatible modem. Any ideas?

   Andy

   art100@psuvm.bitnet or psuvm.psu.edu, or {wherever}!psuvax1!psuhcx!a1t

Dare I recommend Applesoft for this???  It's actually quite easy..
Just issue the modem commands in print statements after appropriately
redirecting I/O through the serial card (pr#3 and in#2) i think..
I's been so long since I wrote that BBS in applesoft (ack!) :-)

-Paul

p.s. (you'll have to set up the serial card with print statements as
well...)

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (12/06/89)

In article <89338.231217ART100@PSUVM.BITNET>, ART100@PSUVM.BITNET (Andy Tefft) writes:
> I need a program for my //c that will basically dial the modem at
> a particular time. At least that's my overall goal.

Point-to-Point will do this. It's now being distributed by Beagle Bros.
It's an excellent program.
Bob Church
att!oucsace!bchurch

ART100@PSUVM.BITNET (Andy Tefft) (12/06/89)

I asked about a way to dial my modem automatically.  Mike Jetzer
suggested a simple solution - pr#2 followed by 'print atdt<whatever>'
with the appropriate timing loops from basic. This works - I guess
I should have tried it first. I could never get it to work with my
old modem though, so I threw it out as a possibility.

I'm still open to any other suggestions, even though I can make do
with what I have.

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.COM (Mark Munz) (12/08/89)

>> I need a program for my //c that will basically dial the modem at
>> a particular time. At least that's my overall goal.
>>
>Point-to-Point will do this. It's now being distributed by Beagle Bros.
>It's an excellent program.

PTP v4.0 also includes a brand new full-blown scripting language,
giving it even more flexibility in that area.

--Mark Munz

done@pro-sol.cts.com (Don Elton) (12/09/89)

TIC can do what you want either by waiting for a specific time of day (this
would require a ProDOS compatible clock) or by just wasting time before
calling the way you talked about in your post.