[comp.sys.apple] Formatting Routine

alank@pro-beagle.cts.com (Alan Krause) (12/07/89)

  Would anyone have a quick formatting routine for formatting ProDOS 5 1/4
floppies???   I know that ProDOS does not have any built in format routines,
so that limits you to the 'direct' access disk commands, but I'm not real
confident in doint this, since I wiped out track $00 of my merlin 8/16 disk
doing this (OOOPS!)...
   Please dop me a line if ya can help me out..
        alank

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (12/08/89)

>  Would anyone have a quick formatting routine for formatting ProDOS 5 1/4
>floppies???
>
>        alank

There used to be a program called HyperFormatter.  I think it was
written by Jerry Hewett of Living Legends Software.  I don't know
where you could get it, though, or how to contact Living Legends.
You might try one of the ftp sites, since I think HyperFormatter
was shareware.

Howard C. Huang
huang@husc4.harvard.edu
huang@husc4.BITNET
huang@husc4.UUCP

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (12/08/89)

   From: huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple
   Date: 7 Dec 89 19:01:55 GMT
   Sender: news@husc6.harvard.edu

   >  Would anyone have a quick formatting routine for formatting ProDOS 5 1/4
   >floppies???
   >
   >        alank

   There used to be a program called HyperFormatter.  I think it was
   written by Jerry Hewett of Living Legends Software.  I don't know
   where you could get it, though, or how to contact Living Legends.
   You might try one of the ftp sites, since I think HyperFormatter
   was shareware.

   Howard C. Huang
   huang@husc4.harvard.edu
   huang@husc4.BITNET
   huang@husc4.UUCP

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember someone saying that Shrinkit
uses HyperFormatter to format 5 1/4" disks...  you might want to get
in contact with Andy Nicholas about the details...

P.S.  howard, how you doing?

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/09/89)

     The program I use most of the time to format disks is ShrinkIt.  The
format routines in v2.1 really fly.  You may ask the author, Andy Nicholas,
if he can give you any pointers.  He's the only person I'm sure of that
both reads the net and has written (or at least implemented) a format
routine.

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu