[comp.sys.apple] ACS Demo

jonah@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (09/16/89)

I came across this file on a local BBS (the sysop says he got it from a French
friend of his) and was blown away. It is actually a set of demos that do such
awesome things as animation in the overscan! Unfortunately, several of them
say things such as 'please don't distribute', so I'm not sure wether I should
post it or not. Also, it's nearly 400K in a ShrinkIt archive, and I'm a bit
reluctant to post something that large. What are your thoughts/opinions?

Jonah

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/17/89)

In article <7061@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> jonah@sdamos.UUCP (Jonah Stich) writes:
-I came across this file on a local BBS (the sysop says he got it from a French
-friend of his) and was blown away. It is actually a set of demos that do such
-awesome things as animation in the overscan! Unfortunately, several of them
-say things such as 'please don't distribute', so I'm not sure wether I should
-post it or not.

I don't see why there's any question here.  If the authors don't want
it distributed, then you have no right to distribute it.

jonah@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (09/17/89)

In article <11096@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <7061@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> jonah@sdamos.UUCP (Jonah Stich) writes:
>-I came across this file on a local BBS (the sysop says he got it from a French
>-awesome things as animation in the overscan! Unfortunately, several of them
>-say things such as 'please don't distribute', so I'm not sure wether I should
>-post it or not.
>
>I don't see why there's any question here.  If the authors don't want
>it distributed, then you have no right to distribute it.

Yes, but only two of the demos say something like 'I would prefer if you
didn't distribute this', and I take it the person the sysop got it from
is one of the programmers, so if the sysop thinks its okay to have it
on his board, that just kinda' leaves me confused. :(

Jonah

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/18/89)

     A possible alternative would be to post the ones that DON'T say "Don't
distribute."  That's legal, if not ethically touchy.  I'm sure a lot of
people would like it on the net.
     The message is "Please don't distribute."  If in fact the demo is
licensed to the programmers, they didn't say not to, they just urged it not
to be distributed.  Also, their licence for the program (if any) would be
in France, unless they went through the pains of getting it registered in a
foreign country (US.)
     All in all, it's up to you.  If the file was posted to the BBS you were
speaking of, the "don't distribute" clause is already broken.  Personally
I'm drooling...:-)

InterNet:        krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu        |    Ken Brownfield
    or  :        krb1517@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu         |    1010 South Second
   PLATO:        ken brownfield/unialum/cerl      |    Champaign, IL, 61820.
     or :        brownfield/dialup/cerl           |    1-217-384-6964
    ALPE:        ASA(I-can-afford-it)             |============================
I'm 16 years old, a Sophomore Computer Engineer at the University of Illinois,
  and proud of it.  "The company I work for didn't give me this signon, so
everything I say above is legal, if not correct, right, authorized, or poetic."

lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) (09/18/89)

In regard to ACS Demo program, I would not advise anyone uploading it here on
the net unless they are capable of removing one of the demos that contain some
borrowed material from a commercial game called "Arkanoid".

Lynda

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/19/89)

     Ask the sysop his/her opinion about posting it.  The legality of
distribution of the demos is in no way a strict "No you can't or be hanged"
rule.  You can only follow what they say; if the file is on the BBS, I have a
hard time believing that distribution is restricted.

InterNet:        krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu        |    Ken Brownfield
    or  :        krb1517@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu         |    1010 South Second
   PLATO:        ken brownfield/unialum/cerl      |    Champaign, IL, 61820.
     or :        brownfield/dialup/cerl           |    1-217-384-6964
    ALPE:        ASA(I-can-afford-it)             |============================
I'm 16 years old, a Sophomore Computer Engineer at the University of Illinois,
  and proud of it.  "The company I work for didn't give me this signon, so
everything I say above is legal, if not correct, right, authorized, or poetic."

SPLECRONE@UALR.BITNET (Psychedelia) (09/19/89)

   Do it, do it, do it, do it!!!!!!

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (12/09/89)

Please mail me a response as not to flood the net, but what is ACS Demo?
It's rather big, and especially if it was corrupted as B.Tanner suggests,
I'd rather wait on downloading it until I know what it is.

    Todd A. Bakal                              I believe in the Cubs,
    U of M Apple User's Group                  Bo's national championship
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                        chances, and my Apple ][gs.

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu          FTP: 35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal    BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

digitalfiend@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Scott D Palmer) (12/09/89)

For those that are having problems with the ACS Demo, I found that the boot
screen does not work correctly unless you have your GS set to 40 column
default in the control panel.  Also, it might not be a bad idea to set your GS
back to factory standards if you really want the demo to work.....

                                                  -Scott Palmer

--

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/09/89)

     There has been a description in comp.binaries.apple2 since a day after
the upload.
     The ACS Demo is a graphics and sound demo.  The only possible machine
specific thing that you should be aware of is that according to some
people on the net, it gets a bit munged when you have two Disk IIs in your
GS (ACS Demo is GS _specific_) using the old Disk II controller.
     It's pretty impressive.  A bit touchy, but the demos are quite nice.
It's one of those rather worthless, really cute things.

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (12/10/89)

>For those that are having problems with the ACS Demo, I found that the boot
>screen does not work correctly unless you have your GS set to 40 column
>default in the control panel.  Also, it might not be a bad idea to set your GS
>back to factory standards if you really want the demo to work.....
>
>                                                  -Scott Palmer

Yes, try setting your control panel back to the defaults.  My ACS Demo
works fine, but after I switched to 80-col mode, the title screen did
get mucked up.  Other control panel settings may also have some adverse
effect on the demo.

IMHO, the demo isn't worth downloading unless you can do it for free.
It does have nice scrolling, but it's not very exciting, like I hear
Nucleus is.

Howard C. Huang
huang@husc4.harvard.edu