[comp.sys.apple] need info on Apple assemblers/compi

saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/10/89)

Yes, MindCraft Publishing Corp. (formerly MicroSPARC, still publishing Nibble
after ten years!) still sells an assembler.  For $50 you get a macro assembler
with line editor, a decent set of disk commands, and sample code and macros.
One of the macro sets extends the number of available pseudo-ops and another
is designed to make importing source code from the Lisa assembler easier.  I've
used this program for about a year now, and it has caused me no trouble.  The
macros are great--you can turn assembly language into a medium-level language,
almost!  If you want, you can shell out another $50 for a macro set that lets
you write BASIC-like programs in the assembler.  I don't have MacroSoft, but I
think that the MindCraft Assembler is a pretty good assembler.  At $50, it's
probably the best deal around!  (No, I do not work for MindCraft or for Nibble,
but I do have a Nibble subscription!)  Since MindCraft doesn't advertise much
outside their magazines, here's their address:

                       MindCraft Publishing Corp.
                      52 Domino Dr.
                      Concord, MA  01742

On the subject of Big Mac, I thought it might be related to Merlin in some way.
The assembler cross-reference that comes with the MindCraft Assembler indicates
that they use the same pseudo-ops, etc.  Also, TechAlliance (the company that
publishes Call-A.P.P.L.E.) no longer sells software; they said they couldn't
keep prices of products in the price range they wanted to keep them in.  They
had low prices, but they couldn't keep them.  Too bad, since Apple may now rip
all of us off with APDA.

BTW, I think all of us with IIs and IIGSs should boycott APDA--not because of
the high prices, but because all they ever seem to have time for anymore is the
Macintosh.  I know I'm dropping my membership.  Anyone else care to do the
same?

! Scott Alfter                          ! A keyboard--how quaint!             !
!                                       !                                     !
! Internet:  saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu  !                    -- M. Scott      !

In article <113300218@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>BTW, I think all of us with IIs and IIGSs should boycott APDA--not because of
>the high prices, but because all they ever seem to have time for anymore is the
>Macintosh.  I know I'm dropping my membership.  Anyone else care to do the
>same?
>
>Scott Alfter                          ! A keyboard--how quaint!             !

APDA does what the members want.  Although it's easily true that most of their
business comes from Macintosh developers, I can personally attest that the
APDA folks care about the Apple II business and are constantly looking for new
development tools, languages and articles for the II and IIgs that they could
put into the APDAlog.

If you want more Apple II articles, why don't you write one and see if they'll
publish it?  If you want more Apple II development tools, make specific
recommendations as to what you want APDA to carry and where they can get it.
"We want more tools" doesn't give anyone any idea how to do it.  Something like
"We want ORCA/C" or "We want Genesys" or "We want Call Box" will have much
more effect.  I'll bet a nickel.

"They didn't read my mind so I'm quitting and you could do the same" doesn't
cut it with me.  (If you have specifically done these things and nothing's
come of it, there's a real problem - but you didn't mention these things in
your message so please forgive me for assuming you haven't done them.)

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."