[comp.sys.apple] GS boot thermometer

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (12/09/89)

In article <809@tahoma.UUCP> prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) writes:
[...]
>have had the "kept accessing the hard drive rapidly for a lengthy period
>after the thermometer finshed" problem.  I was really surprised to see it
>happening.  The only two things I have changed resently were the update to
>5.0.2 a couple of weeks ago and yesterday's change to AWGS 1.1 which was
>a couple of hours before the reboot incident happened.  I don't know if it
>was related.  It may have been just coincidence, and it only happened once.

If you made any change that affected the length of your boot, this makes
perfect sense.

The thermometer has -no- idea what's actually happening while your machine
is booting.  It only knows how fast to move by remembering how long it
took to boot last time.
--

 --David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
   Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

paulh@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (12/12/89)

In article <37145@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) writes:

>The thermometer has -no- idea what's actually happening while your machine
>is booting.  It only knows how fast to move by remembering how long it
>took to boot last time.

Aha! I always knew I'd learn all kinds of neat things reading this list ;)

Now could someone tell me why sometimes the Boot Thermometer sometimes only
goes halfway when I do a warm boot?  I'm using a CMS SCSI card if that makes
any difference.

--
Paul Hutmacher
uunet!nuchat!paulh