[comp.sys.apple] Boycotting APDA

blochowi@rt5.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (12/13/89)

In article <113300218@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>BTW, I think all of us with IIs and IIGSs should boycott APDA--not because of
>the high prices, but because all they ever seem to have time for anymore is the
>Macintosh.  I know I'm dropping my membership.  Anyone else care to do the
>same?

	Surely you jest... I dunno about you, but I pretty much need the
membership to keep on top of what's going on with the new system software for
the //gs. Given that APDA is the only place (that I know about, anyway) to get
Beta manuals & tools, it seems there's not a whole lot of choice, regardless of
your personal feelings on the matter. As an example, it'd be basically
impossible to deal with resources without Rez (TML Pascal ]['s resource editor
is cute, but not real potent, and, IMHO, Call Box has a remarkably primitive
and unresponsive UI - then again I didn't use either for more than 10 minutes).

	Besides, what good would boycotting do? Hmm, lesse, (you think) they're
not paying enough attention to the //, so we'll give them less // customers,
and all of a sudden, wow, they'll pay less attention to the Mac. It would seem
that the logic there is somewhat weak. Boycotting monopolies doesn't seem to
be a particularly strong idea in the first place.

--
      Jason Blochowiak - blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.uucp
       "Education, like neurosis, begins at home." - Milton R. Sapirstein