[comp.sys.apple] SYSTEM 5.0.2 and /RAM5

nparker@cie.uoregon.edu (Neil Parker) (12/12/89)

I just got System 5.0.2, and I'm having a problem.  If /RAM5 is installed when
I boot, it is impossible to return from a program to the Finder--it crashes
every single time.  If /RAM5 is not installed when I boot, then everything is
just fine--the system works flawlessly.

I know someone out there will say "Describe the crash."  Unfortunately, I have
yet to get it to crash in the same way twice.  Sometimes it returns to the
Finder, but as soon as I try to close a window, the Finder crashes into the
Monitor (I have to type "e1/c029:1" to see the text--usually it crashed at a
BRK instruction, but the address of the BRK instruction may be anywhere in
memory).  Sometimes instead of crashing into the Monitor, everything just
freezes.  Sometimes it never gets all the way back to the Finder--I see
"One moment please...", and then it crashes into the Monitor (again, the
address of the BRK instruction seems to be random).  One time it got part way
back into the Finder, but it only drew an empty menu bar and an empty dialog
box, and then everything froze.  Often, if it does make it back to the Finder
I discover that the icons in my windows have been rearranged, and the SYSTEM
folder on my boot disk has the wrong icon.

About the only thing consistant is that if /RAM5 is installed, then returning
from some program (it doesn't seem to matter which program) to the Finder
causes my system to crash.  Removing /RAM5 cures the problem.

Did I get a bad copy of System 5.0.2, or is there something in the new system
that doesn't like ramdisks?  I sincerely hope it's not the latter, since I
find my ramdisk to be extremely useful, and I'm not willing to part with it.

Some facts about my system, in case it helps:
     Apple IIGS, ROM 01
     1.25 Meg (Apple's memory card, fully populated)
     1 3.5 Drive and 1 5.25 Drive (both from Apple)
     No other hardware in the slots
My ramdisk is usually set to 256K.  Is this too large?  The Memory Peeker
seems to indicate that there's plenty of free memory even with GS/OS, the
Finder, and /RAM5 all in memory at once.

(And yes, I do have the 3.5" disk driver installed in System/Drivers.  My boot
disk was created with the Installer, using the "Latest System Files" script
[which is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE *SS to use with only one drive!].)

--
Neil Parker   nparker@cie.uoregon.edu (preferred) or parker@astro.uoregon.edu

dickson@aludra.usc.edu (Jeffrey Dickson) (12/13/89)

In Article 20857 of comp.sys.apple:
>From: nparker@cie.uoregon.edu (Neil Parker)
talking about the Finder crashing upon return...
> Sometimes it returns to the
>Finder, but as soon as I try to close a window, the Finder crashes into the
>Monitor (I have to type "e1/c029:1" to see the text--usually it crashed at a
>BRK instruction, but the address of the BRK instruction may be anywhere in
>memory).

On the ROM 01 or better machines, typing CONTROL-T at the monitor's prompt will
activate the text screen....it's a lot easier than that softswitch call.

BTW: To reactivate the graphics screen (usually with the mouse still moving)
just make the _GrafOn call from the monitor by typing:
                               \0 0 A 4\U

                                         _   S
                                    ---  \\   T
                                         <=\   E
       dickson@chaph.usc.edu       ----- <  >   A
                                         <=/   L
                                         ~   H

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (12/13/89)

I use 5.0.2 on a 1.75 meg system and I have an 800k ram disk.  I have no
crashes.
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet