[net.movies] 2010 bug a feature

fishkin@ucbvax.ARPA (Ken Fishkin) (12/15/84)

In article <268@umd5.UUCP> louie@umd5.UUCP (Louis Mamakos) writes:
>Long live the blinky-light syndrome!  I'm surprized they did this, since
>they had to painstakenly reproduce the Discovery from prints of 2001.  I'm
>sure that someone had to have seen the stark contrast between the two
>spacecraft.

	According to a recent article (perhaps in the Pink Section of the San Francisco
	Chronicle?), this was a *deliberate* goal of the movie; the stated aim was to
	show how much more "realistic" the Leonov's instrumentation layout is than
	Discovery's, as they were trying to keep things close to what they're like on
	the space shuttle.

--
		Ken Fishkin		Berkeley Computer Graphics Lab
		ucbvax!fishkin		fishkin@berkeley