[comp.sys.apple] //gs power supplies

dbj@ca3.neuro.bcm.tmc.edu (David Jaffe) (12/14/89)

The power supply on my GS blew recently and I need to replace it.  In
lew of replacing it with a new Apple power supply, are there any
"reputable" 3rd party power supplies on the market and are they worth
the savings?

David Jaffe	           internet: dbj@cortex.neuro.bcm.tmc.edu
Program in Neuroscience	   dbj%cortex.neuro.bcm.tmc.edu@tmc.edu
Baylor Col. Med., Houston, Tx 77030

jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com (Jerry E. Kindall) (12/15/89)

Recently my IIc's power supply blew (I had a IIe power supply hooked up to it,
it was AE's heavy-duty model) and investigated alternatives.  If you have a
lot of cards in your system, I might suggest getting an IBM (yes, IBM) clone
power supply.  You can get a 200 watt model (VERY heavy duty) from California
Digital for $59.  (Look for their ads in Byte.)  You will, of course, need to
know how to hook the power supply into your GS, and naturally it won't fit
inside.  (That's good, in my opinion, because then it won't contribute to the
heat inside your computer.  The power supply also has a fan.)

AE replaced my power supply free of charge, even though I was using it for
other than its intended use (thanks AE!), so I didn't buy one of those.
However, I imagine I could run a IIgs, a IIc, and a homebrew SCSI hard drive
off one of those puppies and have power to spare...
   _____
  ||___||  Jerry Kindall               |  Internet: jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com
  |  o  |  2612 Queensway Drive        |  UUCP:     nosc!crash!pro-tcc!jerryk
  |__O__|  Grove City, OH  43123-3347  |  GEnie: A2.JERRY     ALine: A2 Jerry