[comp.sys.apple] GS-Disk II compatibility

ccastbs@prism.gatech.EDU (Shannon Bell) (12/14/89)

Does anyone know why a disk II controller with two drives will work
perfectly in slot 6 of a GS but not in slots 1 or 2?
In slots 1 or 2, a catalog registers the disk as disk volume 001 and
gives an i/o error at track $11.  The main problem with this is that
the disks are freshly formatted prodos disks.
Is there something special about the slot 1/2 architecture, relative to
the slot 6 architecture, that would prevent the proper functioning of
a Disk II contoller?

Shannon Bell
PO Box 36266   Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastbs
Internet: ccastbs@prism.gatech.edu

In article <4366@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastbs@prism.gatech.EDU (Shannon Bell) writes:
>Does anyone know why a disk II controller with two drives will work
>perfectly in slot 6 of a GS but not in slots 1 or 2?
>
>Shannon Bell

In short (really), yes.  The computer has circuitry in it to allow it to slow
back down to 1 MHz (from 2.8) when a Disk II motor on switch is detected, but
that circuitry is only functional for slots 4, 5, 6 and 7.  (IIgs Hardware
Reference, pages 20-21.)  Either move your Disk II card to one of those
slots or always run your IIgs at "normal" (slow) speed.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."

jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com (Jerry E. Kindall) (12/15/89)

The fact that you say a catalog registers a disk volume as 001 and gives an
I/O error at track $11 indicates that you're using DOS 3.3 to try to read a
ProDOS disk.  ProDOS does not show a disk volume when you try to catalog a
disk.  Or are you using Copy II+?
   _____
  ||___||  Jerry Kindall               |  Internet: jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com
  |  o  |  2612 Queensway Drive        |  UUCP:     nosc!crash!pro-tcc!jerryk
  |__O__|  Grove City, OH  43123-3347  |  GEnie: A2.JERRY     ALine: A2 Jerry

blochowi@rt1.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (12/16/89)

In article <4366@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastbs@prism.gatech.EDU (Shannon Bell) writes:
>Does anyone know why a disk II controller with two drives will work
>perfectly in slot 6 of a GS but not in slots 1 or 2?
> [Deleted mention of read errors]
>Is there something special about the slot 1/2 architecture, relative to
>the slot 6 architecture, that would prevent the proper functioning of
>a Disk II contoller?

	Well, the //gs runs faster (~1.5Mhz faster) than the other Apple //'s,
so Apple had to do some relatively strange stuff to get the disk drives (which
use timing dependent software) to work properly. Basically what happens
is: when the //gs sees software turn the drive motor on, it slows the machine
down to 1Mhz (the "standard" // speed) so that the timing works correctly, and
speeds it back up when the motor gets turned off.  For various reasons, this
automatic slowdown is only available in slots 5-7, so when you put the
controller card in slot 2, the //gs tries to run the software at full blast,
which doesn't work out right - I think (not at all sure on this one) that if
you set the system speed to "Normal" (in the Control Panel) the card will work
in slot 1 or 2.

--
      Jason Blochowiak - blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.uucp
       "Education, like neurosis, begins at home." - Milton R. Sapirstein