[comp.sys.apple] logo

schlichting@NUSC.ARPA.UUCP (04/15/87)

Several people responded to my question about children's software. Thank you
all. Many recommended LOGO. How different is Apple Pascal turtlegraphics from
LOGO. How different is Apple LOGO from Terrapin LOGO? Thanks. C. SchlichtingNUSC.arpa.  P.S. TO Jack Fine. The disks are in the mail.
------

martin@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Johnny Martin) (12/06/89)

I am looking for information about LOGO interpreters or systems for
the Apple IIe and Apple IIgs.  I am inquiring for a small college in
our area which has 13 Apple IIe's and 2 Apple IIgs's.  They would like
to teach LOGO to elementary education majors.  Also, they are on a
tight budget, so any information about cost, robustness of
implementations, or vendor support would be appreciated.

Please reply directly to:    martin@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

If their is sufficient interest, I will post a summary.

Thanks,
  Johnny Martin
--
Johnny Martin, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
martin@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET (Uri Srebro) (12/07/89)

      There are three logo interpeters available for the //e: Terapin/Keller lo
go (based on MIT logo), TI logo, and Apple Logo. I have no idea if any of these
 three products are still for sale, but presume that atlest Terapin/Keller and
Apple logo are available. Lego Systems allso has some kind of logo, wich comes
with an interface card that can be used to activate Lego motors from logo.
      As for the GS: as far as I know there is no logo specifacly for the GS. I
 am working on an interpeter now, but at the pace I work at it, it will probabl
y finished only in a year or so.
      Here in the Technion there is a devision for teaching logo (the Israely L
ogo Society). If you have any specific questions, I can forward them to them.
      I'll try to come up with addresses tomorow.
                     Nathan Srebro
                     Haifa, Israel
   MAR21AA @ Technion.BITNET

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (12/13/89)

From article <8912070031.AA11757@apple.com>, by MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET (Uri Srebro):

>   There are three logo interpeters available for the //e:
> Terapin/Keller logo (based on MIT logo), TI logo, and Apple Logo.
> I have no idea if any of these three products are still for sale,
> but presume that atlest Terapin/Keller and Apple logo are available.

Our school uses Terrapin LOGO and like it.  It can be purchased through
most mail-order outfits in single or "ten pack".  However, Apple LOGO is
no longer available, nor is it supported.  We tried to purchase ten for
our school earlier this year and were told (by Apple's Cust. Support line)
that it was discontinued.

>   As for the GS: as far as I know there is no logo specifacly for the GS.

I know of no GS specific LOGO either.

> I am working on an interpeter now, but at the pace I work at it, it
> will probably finished only in a year or so.

Good luck on your interpreter.
Phil
>                      Nathan Srebro
>                      Haifa, Israel
>    MAR21AA @ Technion.BITNET

| Phil Lindberg	      		 snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| UUCP: ..!uunet!bcstec!tahoma!prl3546    Renton, WA 98056     |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not      |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	       |

j.r.o.brien@pro-tcc.cts.com (J.r. O'brien) (12/16/89)

What is LOGO? Aside from being another programming language.

DANFUZZ@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Dan Bornstein) (12/16/89)

From:         "J.r. O'brien" <j.r.o.brien@PRO-TCC.CTS.COM>
>What is LOGO? Aside from being another programming language.

It's a language derived from Lisp which was intended as a teaching
language. It uses prefix notation for procedure calls (e.g., FNORD 20 10)
but it has infix arithmetic expressions. Many people don't consider it
a "real" language since all that many people know about it is that
it can do "turtle graphics". However, its list-processing capabilities
are nothing to cough at, seeing as it is (as mentioned above) a
Lisp (LISt Processor or something like that) derivative. (I've played
around with Logo's list stuff quite a bit, although not in a while.)
It is generally made as an interpreter, but there is nothing keeping
anyone from writing a Logo compiler, although there probably isn't much
demand for compiled Logo code.

-dan

Bitnet:    danfuzz@brownvm
Internet:  danfuzz@brownvm.brown.edu
AppleTalk: Find me a long enough cable and I'll see what we can do.