[comp.sys.apple] How to get /ram on IIe w/ 128K?

holly@medusa.cis.ohio-state.edu (Joe Hollingsworth) (12/07/89)

Hi folks:
How do I instruct PRODOS to set up a /ram disk in the aux memory of
a IIe with 128K?  Or can I?

Thanks in advance
Joe Hollingsworth  Computer and Information Science @ OSU
holly@cis.ohio-state.edu  or ...!{att,pyramid,killer}!cis.ohio-state.edu!holly

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (12/08/89)

In article <74747@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Joe Hollingsworth <holly@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>Hi folks:
>How do I instruct PRODOS to set up a /ram disk in the aux memory of
>a IIe with 128K?  Or can I?

It happens automatically...just boot, and you've got a 64K-ish /RAM volume
(in slot 3, drive 2).
--

 --David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
   Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/08/89)

/* Written 10:03 am  Dec  6, 1989 by holly@medusa.cis.ohio-state.edu in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apple */
/* ---------- "How to get /ram on IIe w/ 128K?" ---------- */

Hi folks:
How do I instruct PRODOS to set up a /ram disk in the aux memory of
a IIe with 128K?  Or can I?

Thanks in advance
Joe Hollingsworth  Computer and Information Science @ OSU
holly@cis.ohio-state.edu  or ...!{att,pyramid,killer}!cis.ohio-state.edu!holly
/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apple */

All you should have to do is use the thing and it will set up automatically.
Some programs, though, such as Copy II Plus, won't do this.  To force a /RAM
setup:

1) Enter BASIC.SYSTEM.
2) Enter:
   CREATE /RAM/JUNK
3) Quit BASIC.SYSTEM.

Once you're back in your program, you can delete /RAM/JUNK if you want.  Of
course, this won't work with AppleWorks or any other program that uses the
full 128K you have.

! Scott Alfter                          ! A keyboard--how quaint!             !
!                                       !                                     !
! Internet:  saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu  !                  -M. Scott          !

jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com (Jerry E. Kindall) (12/09/89)

To set up a RAM drive on a IIe with 128K, perform the following simple
procedure:

1) Boot ProDOS
2) That's all.

It's automatic.
   _____
  ||___||  Jerry Kindall               |  Internet: jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com
  |  o  |  2612 Queensway Drive        |  UUCP:     nosc!crash!pro-tcc!jerryk
  |__O__|  Grove City, OH  43123-3347  |  GEnie: A2.JERRY     ALine: A2 Jerry

sklein@cdp.UUCP (12/09/89)

ProDOS automatically sets up a /RAM disk i n the auxillary memeory
on an Apple //e.  Just go into basic, and type "cat /ram" and
you'll see it.  This pseudo-disk is 'slot 3, drive 1'
-shabtai
(e-mail addresses/long sig follow)
UUCP:  uunet!pyramid!cdp!sklein   |  BitNet: cdp!sklein%labrea@stanford
Internet:  cdp!sklein@arisia.xerox.com   |  Phone: (301) 270-2250
"You can't always get what you wan't" -- Rolling Stones
"You can get it if you really want" -- Jimmy Cliff

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (12/10/89)

How does Prodos know which slot the extra 64k of memory is in?

SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET (12/13/89)

In your article you said:
> ProDOS automatically sets up a /RAM disk i n the auxillary memeory
> on an Apple //e.  Just go into basic, and type "cat /ram" and
> you'll see it.  This pseudo-disk is 'slot 3, drive 1'
                                       ^^^^^^\/^^^^^^^
                                       slot 3, drive 2...
Sorry, I know that's being nitpicky, but if you try slot 3 drive 1,
the computer will give you an error something like "I/O ERROR" or
"No Device Connected"...
BITNET: SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET
Only 12 more Shopping Days till Christmas...

dredick@pro-tcc.cts.com (Darrin Redick) (12/13/89)

> you'll see it.  This pseudo-disk is 'slot 3, drive 1'

The pseudo-disk is hard-wired as Slot 3, Drive 2.

Darrin Redick                      ProLine: dredick@pro-tcc
2966 McGuffey Rd.
Columbus, Ohio  43224-4136         "Best speed Scotty..." - Kirk, Trek III:TSFS

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (12/16/89)

The Auxiliar slot's 80-column firmware and 64k extra memory are set to be
slot 3. As someone stated, the /ram IS in slot 3 drive 2.
cyliao@wam.umd.edu  (Chun-Yao Liao)		   	|
I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5  |         Now,
I want my own NeXT, 64 Mb RAM, 660 Mb SCSI, NeXT laser  |