[comp.sys.apple] II in a Mac - How is it?

rc3h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ross Ward Comer) (11/15/89)

Does anyone have any info on II in a Mac?  I've called them, and they
say it works with practically all unprotected software.  The problem is
that it seems a touch slow and can not access 5 1/4" disks.  Anyone have
more details?

Thanks,
ross

rc3h+@andrew.cmu.edu

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (11/15/89)

II in a Mac is VERY slow. That's not its most serious problem. It fails to
reliably produce the open apple-character, closed-apple-character, and
open-apple-esc commands that are needed for AppleWorks and Timeout
Appleworks. Consequently, stay away from II in a Mac if AppleWorks is what
you want to use.

In addition, DOS3.3 software can't be accessed from disk, since 5.25" disks
can't be used. It's possible that something like AMDOS, the system that
allows use of DOS3.3 on 3.5" disks, might help.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601 USA  |

rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (Rich Sims) (11/16/89)

Comment to message from: rc3h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ross Ward Comer)

I have used version 2.5 of II in a Mac, and both points mentioned are
conditionally correct.

It's slow on a Mac +, but given the number of accelerators available for Macs,
I suspect it's possible to come up with a configuration where it's actually
faster than a standard 1 mHz Apple.  An 8 mHz Mac gives ~40% of Apple II speed.

It can't access 5 1/4" disks - well, that's not a fundamental problem of the
program, but of the hardware.  It seems there are neither many 5 1/4" drives
nor much demand for them in the Mac world.  The package came with both DOS 3.3
and ProDOS systems, and a communications package for transferring files from
the Apple II to the Mac, as well as a pretty good set of documentation.

The version I have worked quite well.  It did everything it claimed to do, and
I found no incompatibilities with any of the software I tried to run.  I have
heard that newer versions have added some additional capabilities, but I'm not
sure what they are, or even if that info is correct.

II in a Mac (version 2.5, at least) provides you with emulation of a 64k Apple
II with a 6502 processor.  It will not turn your Mac into a TransWarped GS
running GS/OS.  Of course, it doesn't claim to, either.  :-)
Rich Sims

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!rich
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!rich@nosc.mil
INET: rich@pro-exchange.cts.com

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (11/16/89)

Dos 3.3 software cannot be accessed from 5.25" disks, true. But the
software comes with a program to allow you to transfer 5.25" disks to
mac files (and back) via the serial ports.   It is VERY fast.   I also
wonder if UNIDOS or DOS.MASTER or one of the other DOS 3.3 on 3.5"
disk programs would run under II in a mac.

Seymour

uncacj@uncecs.edu (Charles G. James Jr.) (12/13/89)

The use of DOS3.3 files needs a 51/4 disk. But what if you manage
to get a DOS 3.3 file onto a MAC disk? I was thinking of using
KERMIT to transfer an Apple II program file as a binary file to
then be started with 'II in a MAC'.
--
Charles G. James, Jr.
Department of Chemistry, University of North Carolina at Asheville 2

ST802148@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Evan) (12/14/89)

I have seen Apple's new ad for the FTDT drive that can read MS/DOS, PS2, Prodos
, and Mac.  SO WHAT!?! Just because the disk can read them, it doesn't mean tha
t the Macintosh can use the programs! There is no Prodos operating system to ru
n these Apple wares. I believe it was created for the ability of reading textfi
les from other wordprocessors.  if you can use a prodos software on a Macintosh
, please tell me.... and pinch me...

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Bruce P. Halpern) (12/14/89)

All current Macintosh 3.5" drives, whether they are HDFD or not, can, in
combination with the Apple File Exchange Utility that comes with all Macs,
read ProDos text files. The files can be automatically translated into
files that are  useable by, for example, Microsoft Word for Mac.
If the text files are written to disk on the Apple // using the Beagle
Bros. Timeout utility AWP to Text (or reasable equivalent), the files
don't have unfortunate items at the ends of lines, and do retain blank
lines, etc. (but not underline, super/subscript, bold, or stuff like that).

Procedures are available to convert AppleWorks Database and Spreadsheet files
into Microsoft Works for Macintosh files (using AFE as above) and a few more
steps.

Nothing in the Apple literature suggests that ProDOS or IBM PROGRAMS will
execute. You are quite correct in stating that they won't without special
software or hardware added to the Mac.

Sorry that this sounds like an ad for Microsoft and Apple, but ...

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601 USA  |

orcus@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Greenstone) (12/17/89)

II in a Mac will effectivly run ProDos software, and even do graphics.  It
wont work for IIgs software, but just about all of the IIe and II+ stuff will
work.

_____

UUCP: crash!pro-lep!orcus
ARPA: crash!pro-lep!orcus@nosc.mil