[comp.sys.apple] Rocket Chip

spike@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Spike) (05/22/88)

	Ok here some more details on the RocketChip, an accelerator
chip, like the Zip Chip, that was unveiled at AppleFest.

	I talked to a sales person who said that the chip just when in
to production a few weeks ago, and that it should be at dealers in 3
to 4 weeks.  That had it running at both 50kHz and 5MHz and does work.
Suggested list price is $189.  The sale person could not give me a
technical information nor does the flyer contain any.

The rest of this is from their flyer:

*Operates at 5MHz.
*Accelerates all of 64K or 128K memory
  AUX Memory - more that 1.6 Meg accelerated - additional memory runs
  a normal speed.  Peripheral card ROMs also accelerated
*One keystroke to run to 1Mhz
*Variable speeds from 50kHz to 5MHz
*No distortion of sound

	The RocketChip has a one year uncondishional warranty.  It
comes with ProDOS and DOS 3.3 software to allow configuration,
including: Speaker sound adjustment, peripheral card ROM acceleration,
and speed selection.  A programming manual is to be released to allow
programs to directly configure the chip.  The RocketChip works with
DMA devices, but only at 1MHz.

RocketChip is made by:

         BITS & PIECES
        Technology, inc
        31332 Via Colina
           Suite 110
       Westlake Village, CA
	    91362

Distributor:

     GANTRY ENTERPRISES      Call or write for more information or the
        P.O. Box 262         dealer nearest you.
       San Rafael, CA
           94912

       (415) 472-0922

Disclaimer:  This is what a saw, read, and heard.  It may or may not
be true.  I have not connection with the above companies.

       "You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss 3 bucks goodbye."
 UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!spike  INTERNET: spike@bu-it.bu.edu
   CSNET: spike%bu-it@bu-cs   BITNET: engemnc@bostonu "VPS sucks"

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (01/21/89)

I just got a Rocket Chip. I had expected a small increase in speed over the
ZIP-CHIP but actually got much more. I don't know the how or why but
PUBLISH-IT! seems to run about twice as fast.(how's that for scientific
measurement?)There is no pause between changes to the screen and redrawing.
Now for the bad news. It doesn't quite fit in my //c with zram. The chips a
little too high. I replaced the two nylon posts that came with ZRAM with
slightly longer ones to take the pressure off the chip. Here's my solution,
if I can find the part. I would like an "extension socket". I need a mail
40 pin connector to fit into the 65c02 socket with about six inches of cable
and a female socket to plug the rocket chip into. Does anyone have any
idea where I could get such a part? This would allow me to lay the chip
in the mid-left area where there is a little more room. Any leads would
be greatly appreciated.
Bob Church CS656@OUACCVMB

nakada@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Paul Nakada) (03/08/89)

I read something very disturbing in the latest A+ magazine (april issue)
There are reviews of 3 8 bit accelerators, Transwarp, Zip Chip and
Rocket Chip.  I am on the verge of buying a Rocket Chip because of its
higher clock speed.  The A+ review states that the chip works fine on a
128k machine, but barfs if there is any extended memory.  Of course,
it's virtually impossible to get through to anyone at the company, so I
turn to anyone out there for help.  Does anyone run a rocketchip?  Are
A+'s claims correct?  Is there any type of upgrade policy?

Thanks in advance for any help.../
-Paul Nakada
 __
|     Paul Nakada  '89   #8-)  |
      North House              |                nakada@husc4.HARVARD.EDU
      Harvard College          |       seismo>!harvard!husc4!nakada.UUCP
      Cambridge, MA  02138     |     rutgers/   nakada@husc4.BITNET
      617/498-6255 || 6264     |                                         __|

jac@paul.rutgers.edu (J. A. Chandross) (03/12/89)

nakada@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Paul Nakada)
> I read something very disturbing in the latest A+ magazine (april issue)
> There are reviews of 3 8 bit accelerators, Transwarp, Zip Chip and
> Rocket Chip.  I am on the verge of buying a Rocket Chip because of its
> higher clock speed.  The A+ review states that the chip works fine on a
> 128k machine, but barfs if there is any extended memory.

(Didn't you read my review of the RocketChip in January???  I got one of
the first ones.  If not, let me know and I'll send you one.)

Basically, the RocketChip can not accelerate expansion memory that banks
out the ROMS.  This is because it doesn't know what's in the D000.FFFF
space at any given point in time.  For it to cache these locations the
RocketChip would have to know in great detail how each card's soft-switches
worked.

I've tested the RocketChip with an AE Ramfactor and a 16K card.  Both work
just fine.  Other cards should also.

Jonathan A. Chandross
Internet: jac@paul.rutgers.edu
UUCP: rutgers!paul.rutgers.edu!jac

mziober@ics.uci.edu (Michael Ziober) (10/11/89)

Could somone out there in netland who has a RocketChip please refer me to the
manufacturer?  I am interested in price/compatability/performance information.
I've heard that there is a 10Mhz version.  I would just love to plug something
like that into my trusty old Apple ][+!

Thanks...
Michael Ziober

smw@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (scott.wincklhofer) (12/01/89)

Hi there,

		Just a quick question to ask those of you who have
10 Mhz rocketchips.  Are any of you using them in a II+.  Are there any
problems with compatibility.  Also does it behave well with peripherals.

					Thanks for the help.

					Scott

Scott Wincklhofer
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Whippany NJ
whutt!smw

ST802148@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Evan) (12/11/89)

ARGH!!! I can't believe it.   Out of business.... and they had the best product
 ever created for the Apple //. boo hoo...  Let us definately form a support gr
oup, since we can now not count on anyone else... argh!

ST802148@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Evan) (12/15/89)

I recently called Quality Computers, the main distributor of the 10 Mhz
Rocket Chip to verify the loss of the rights to the chip to Zip
Technologies.  The lady I spoke with was not sure of too much, but did
tell me that Quality Computers has stopped selling the Rocket Chip.
Hmm....  RC looks to be dying

dvac@druwa.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) (12/16/89)

In article <8912142309.AA09509@apple.com>, ST802148@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Evan) writes:

> I recently called Quality Computers, the main distributor of the 10 Mhz
> Rocket Chip to verify the loss of the rights to the chip to Zip
> Technologies....

I heard yesterday that the Rocket Chip is no more.  I heard QC sold the
rights on the Rocket Chip to AE, and Zip won the ~lawsuit with Quality.
Now Zip was going to hit AE, but AE agrees with Zip as far as the
infringement, so it looks like Rocketchip Technology is no more.  I also
heard Quality Computers went under, but I have not verified this...
Anyone know any more great rumors :)

- Dan Vachon   !att!druwa!dvac

shadow@tove.umd.edu (The Shadow Lord) (12/16/89)

I ordered the Apple //e enhancement kit from Q.C. three days ago, and they
were happy enough to take my credit card number.  I certainly *hope* they are
not out of business.
				- MBL

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (12/16/89)

In article <4557@druwa.ATT.COM>, dvac@druwa.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) writes:
> In article <8912142309.AA09509@apple.com>, ST802148@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Evan) writes:
> >

> I heard yesterday that the Rocket Chip is no more.  I heard QC sold the
> rights on the Rocket Chip to AE, and Zip won the ~lawsuit with Quality.
> Now Zip was going to hit AE, but AE agrees with Zip as far as the
> infringement, so it looks like Rocketchip Technology is no more.  I also
> heard Quality Computers went under, but I have not verified this...
> Anyone know any more great rumors :)
>
> - Dan Vachon   !att!druwa!dvac

The Rocketchip is (was?) a product of Bits and Pieces technology inc.
Bits and Pieces is a company in California which may or may not still
be viable. On the other hand Quality Computers is a mail order retailer
in Michigan which is very much alive. At least it was until your posting.
Considering what happened to the Osborne computer I sincerely hope that
not too many people saw or took your posting seriously.
On another note. I have owned both a Zipchip and a Rocketchip. I was
amazed at the differences. The two products not only performed in a
completely different way (at least from a users standpoint) but don't
even look remotely similar. The Zipchip is a single chip slightly
larger than a 65c02. The Rocketchip looks more like a miniature board
with a few components and some sealant poured in. Of course, considering
some of the rumours flying around here I have no reason to beleive that
they have quit selling them. :-)

jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com (Jerry E. Kindall) (12/17/89)

If Quality Computers went under, then I'm out a job... (grin)

Quality Computers had nothing to do with the Rocket Chip other than being a
distributor.  I think that you mean that Bits and Pieces sold the rights on
the Rocket Chip to AE, and Zip won the lawsuit with B&P, and that B&P is the
company that went under.  Right?
   _____
  ||___||  Jerry Kindall               |  Internet: jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com
  |  o  |  2612 Queensway Drive        |  UUCP:     nosc!crash!pro-tcc!jerryk
  |__O__|  Grove City, OH  43123-3347  |  GEnie: A2.JERRY     ALine: A2 Jerry