[comp.sys.apple] Xerox Sues Apple

Bruce_Kahn@DGC.MCEO.DG.COM (12/16/89)

CEO summary:
  Well, it finally happened.  I guess Xerox got tired of Apple suing
others over the GUI.  According to the Boston Globe 12/15, p 96 and
the Wall Street Journal 12/15 p. B2, Xerox has sued Apple for more
than $150M alleging that Apple misappropriated Xerox software that
gives the Mac its distictive GUI which was pivotal in its success.
Just thought you gung-ho Apple fans would be interested...

                                   Bruce (KAHN@ADAM.DG.COM)

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (12/18/89)

Note that in other Usenet groups, such as comp.sys.mac, additional discussion
of this activity is occuring.  One of the other notes that appeared is that
the reason for the timing of this is that Xerox just received its patent for
the Xerox PARC Star interface - you know, the one that Jobs and Co saw (and
in fact "stole" project members from) and then ran out and made the Lisa and
Mac?  Anyways, what I wish would happen is that Xerox would do for window look
and feel what ATT did for Unix setuid capability - make use of the patent idea
open to the public, so anyone could do it - folks just could no longer claim
it was someone else's idea.
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet