[comp.sys.apple] Sticky Keys

carllee@math.rutgers.edu (Carl Lee) (12/07/89)

I am having some trouble with the keyboard of my Apple //e.  Some keys
(the `a', `z' and the escape key) don't register when pressed.  This condition
seems to come and go, but is getting worse.  Is there some way I can
treat this problem myself, e.g., by cleaning some contacts?  Has
anyone else had this problem?

Carl Lee
lee@ms.uky.edu
lee@ukma.bitnet

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (12/18/89)

One of the Authorized Apple Dealers in Toronto actually does some service. If
you ask them very nicely, they'll sell you parts. Replacement keyswitches for
Apple IIe keyboards are $7 each. You are advised to bring the original switch
with you, as there are four (that I know of) different keyswitches used in
Apple IIe keyboards.

You really cannot clean the contacts because the keyswitches are each discrete
sealed units, that can be opened, but are not easily closed. I have replaced
three keys on my Apple IIe... nothing important, just the "d", the "n", and
the "s", I think.

UUCP: crash!pro-generic!sb
ARPA: crash!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil
INET: sb@pro-generic.cts.com