[comp.sys.apple] Beagle Policy

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.COM (Mark Munz) (12/08/89)

Note: I changed the subject because I think the original wording
is unfair to say the least.

>Hmmm, I never did get a response to a query I had a couple of weeks ago.
>I was concerned that without a modem hooked up to my Apple I couldn't
>take advantage of the Beagle offer.  My request was similar to Matt's
>suggestion above.  If Beagle make certain software "free" I would be
>willing to pay the cost of a disk and any shipping and handling.
>
>I just wondered if the reason Beagle may not do that is because of the
>labour and man-hours required for what could easily be a deluge of requests.
>
>Well... I'm still wondering!  Anyone?

Well, you're quite right, offering the Beagle Oldies for the cost
of disk and s & h would not only be cost prohibitive, it would drive
Beagle broke.

Most software companies just shelve their older products and the chances
of anybody outside of the company seeing the products is pretty slim.

Beagle didn't want to do this, so it was decided to allow people to
download the software. That way, Beagle wouldn't start losing money on
the disks.  They also decided that folks could freely GIVE away copies
of the software (provided the appropriate Copyright information is still
highly visible) to their friends to help spread it around.
Hmm, now folks want Beagle to spend money so they can get the software
for $5 bucks or whatever.  Is there something wrong with this picture?

You bet! Most folks have shown that if you GIVE them anything, they
want to TAKE as much as you can. It's sickening!! These folks have
clearly shown other companies that this is not the way to go!

I would like to thank those people for all the hell they've caused.
You've taken what I truly believe was a good thing from Beagle and
twisting it beyond belief.  Anyone want to take bets on how many
companies are going to try something like this?  (I'm betting ZERO!!)

--Mark Munz

+Who knows, Beagle probably feels the same way .. but I'm not
+Mark Simonsen [ BBros President ]

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (12/09/89)

In article <13940.chatter.infoapple@pro-beagle> mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.COM (Mark Munz) writes:
>Beagle didn't want to do this, so it was decided to allow people to
>download the software. That way, Beagle wouldn't start losing money on
>the disks.  They also decided that folks could freely GIVE away copies
>of the software (provided the appropriate Copyright information is still
>highly visible) to their friends to help spread it around.
>Hmm, now folks want Beagle to spend money so they can get the software
>for $5 bucks or whatever.  Is there something wrong with this picture?
>
>You bet! Most folks have shown that if you GIVE them anything, they
>want to TAKE as much as you can. It's sickening!! These folks have
>clearly shown other companies that this is not the way to go!
>
>I would like to thank those people for all the hell they've caused.
>You've taken what I truly believe was a good thing from Beagle and
>twisting it beyond belief.  Anyone want to take bets on how many
>companies are going to try something like this?  (I'm betting ZERO!!)
>
>--Mark Munz

I hope Beagle Bros don't feel this way.  People must always keep in mind
that the net users are *NOT* representative of the Apple // community as
a whole.  Most Apple users don't have instant access to thousands of
sites across the country at basically no cost.  So, asking them to spend
even a few dollars for a phone call is really putting these people out.
:-)

Also, remember that the vocal minority is often the complete opposite of
the majority's opinion.  I'm sure most of the rest of us are in total
agreement with Beagle's position, and are glad that companies like
Beagle still operate in the Apple // community (and hope that these
obnoxious and ingratious people don't influence Beagle's opinion of the
Apple // market).

			Kent Dickey
kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU

Les_Ferch.@MTSG.UBC.CA (12/09/89)

Mark Munz writes:

> Most folks have shown that if you GIVE them anything, they want
> to TAKE as much as [they] can. It's sickening!! These folks have
> clearly shown other companies that this is not the way to go!

It really is too bad that this impression is what may be taken back
to the Beagle decision makers, but I can understand given the amount
of complaining and almost total lack of thanks that has been given
Beagle.  I sent a note with some suggestions for improvement to the
postings (along with my thanks I might add) and it was acted upon.
Given that the software is free, I did not *expect* action and
anybody with a little common sense should realize that you shouldn't
look a gift horse in the mouth.

Again, I thank Beagle Bros. for making their old software available
for free and I hope that more people will voice their appreciation
instead of their complaints.

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (12/15/89)

I for one would like to thank you for providing the service as is. I needed
Power Print for a project I am involved with and since it was no longer
available for purchase, you posted it to the board within a week of my
request. The $2.50CAN it cost to pay the long distance charges was well worth
it, considering that I had planned on spending $40US for the same thing. You
can guarantee that I will not abuse your generousity by distributing the
program without your consent.

Thanx again.

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.COM (Mark Munz) (12/19/89)

> You can guarantee that I will not abuse your generousity by distributing
> the program without your consent.

Note that Beagle does allow you to give it to friends and such. It is
just that we currently do not allow you to post the files on other
bulletin boards.