[comp.sys.apple] ACS GS Demo

S680534@UWEC.BITNET (ROBERT TANNER) (12/08/89)

I was wondering if the demo files where corrupted or something else. I got
the demo out of APPLE2-L and BinSCII it fine and Unshrunk it fine, but
when it boots, the boot screen is all screwed up.  I know you have to
reboot each time you run a demo, but is there something wrong with the
boot or is it a corrupted file?  Thanks.
 _____
||___||  Bob Tanner
|  o  |  BITNET: S680534@UWEC.BITNET
|__O__|  Amiga: Aaarg, Make It Go Away
         I.B.M.: International Brotherhood of Morons

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (12/08/89)

In article <891208.01132193.000759@UWEC.CP6> S680534@UWEC.BITNET (ROBERT TANNER) writes:
>I was wondering if the demo files where corrupted or something else. I got
>the demo out of APPLE2-L and BinSCII it fine and Unshrunk it fine, but
>when it boots, the boot screen is all screwed up.  I know you have to
>reboot each time you run a demo, but is there something wrong with the
>boot or is it a corrupted file?  Thanks.

If I run ACS on my machine, it has no problems.  I know of two other people
running identical copies (one was booted off of the same disk) who have
messed up title screens.  Sooooo the problem isn't a munged copy of ACS, but
rather a demo which has some problems.

The only thing I can think of that could be causing it is that I don't have
any 5.25" drives plugged in (and have the slot set to "your card" to keep
ProDOS 8 from scanning it).  You might want to try that and see if it makes
a difference.  Another thing is that I have my /ram5 disk set to 0/0.

At any rate, the title page appears to be "borrowed" from FTL games... the
swish is identical to the opening for Dungeon Master.

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (12/08/89)

In article <891208.01132193.000759@UWEC.CP6> S680534@UWEC.BITNET (ROBERT TANNER) writes:
>I was wondering if the demo files where corrupted or something else. I got
>the demo out of APPLE2-L and BinSCII it fine and Unshrunk it fine, but
>when it boots, the boot screen is all screwed up.

I had the same problem, but setting the system standards (ctrl-option-reset,
2) got it working.

>||___||  Bob Tanner

---
Henry Throop
Internet: throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (12/08/89)

In article <891208.01132193.000759@UWEC.CP6> S680534@UWEC.BITNET (ROBERT TANNER) writes:
>I was wondering if the demo files where corrupted or something else. I got
>the demo out of APPLE2-L and BinSCII it fine and Unshrunk it fine, but
>when it boots, the boot screen is all screwed up.  I know you have to
>reboot each time you run a demo, but is there something wrong with the
>boot or is it a corrupted file?  Thanks.

I've noticed the same thing.  The first time I ran it, it worked fine.
All subsequent reboots, the boot screen (the swooshing ACS) was
monkeyed up.  I even re_unshrinked it to a new disk, locked the disk,
and the first time I booted it, the boot screen was monkeyed up.  Last
night, at a user group meeting, I booted up the same disk on a ROM 01
IIGS with 512k, and 3.5" and 5.25" disks attached and it booted up
fine each time I rebooted (no munged up boot screen).  My system
consists of a ROM 01 IIGS with a Applied Ingenuity GS Ram+ card with
2 MB memory, Apple 3.5" drive, Disk II 5.25" drive, and GCC Hyperdrive
FX/20 hard drive.  Could it be related to a control panel setting?
Maybe the demo sets something in the machine that subsequently monkeys
up subsequent reboots?

Ray
---

Ray Rankins          |  (518) 387-7340  | INTERNET: rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |  (518) 583-3320  | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |                  | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (12/09/89)

I downloaded it and it runs fine on my 2.25 meg rom 01 machine with
3.5 and 5.25" drives.

Seymour

MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET (Uri Srebro) (12/09/89)

     I think the problem here lies in the DISK II. The ACS demo disk boots fine
 on my meachine (one 3.5" and one daisy-chained 5.25"), but when I take it over
 to a friend that has a 3.5" and two DISK II conected to a DISK II controler ca
rd, the title screen is smeered.
     I wonder why this happens ? I know the ACS guys do everything thier own wa
y, not the apple recomended way, but why should a DISK II cause screen smeering
?
     By the way, a friend of mine would asked me for the number of the ACS BBS.
 Anyone on the net have it ?
                               Nathan Srebro
                               Haifa, Israel

MAR21AA @ Technion.BITNET

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/09/89)

     I think the ACS DEMO is touchy in relation to the disk it's on.  I had
the same problem with it originally, but when I unpacked it again, it worked.
The files were verified, but I did have one other instance of this exact
problem.
     My suggestion is to unpack it to different disks, or to the same disk
until the problem goes away.  I don't mean go through all of your 100 blank
3.5"s, just try one or two disks.  I think the routines in the demo are very
touchy.

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu

cc@xroads.UUCP (Dan McGuirk) (12/09/89)

 TANNER) writes:
>I was wondering if the demo files where corrupted or something else. I got
>the demo out of APPLE2-L and BinSCII it fine and Unshrunk it fine, but
>when it boots, the boot screen is all screwed up.  I know you have to
>reboot each time you run a demo, but is there something wrong with the
>boot or is it a corrupted file?  Thanks.

Nope..  And it has nothing to do with the memory, or 5 1/4" drives, either..
The title screen is messed up if you have 80 columns set in the Control
Panel.  It works if you have 40 columns set..  Don't ask me how I figured
that out, but I got it working within a few minutes of looking at it..

The reason you have to reboot is just poor programming, I guess..  Actually,
probably they wrote all the demos separately and then didn't take a lot of
time trying to write the selector, etc..  It might be hard to get back to a
selector after some of those demos, anyway; most of them don't "follow all
the rules"..
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 /\   (602) 941-2005 300|1200 Baud 24 hrs/day

rck@king.CES.CWRU.Edu (Robert Knauerhase) (12/10/89)

In article <891208.01132193.000759@UWEC.CP6> S680534@UWEC.BITNET (ROBERT TANNER) writes:
>I was wondering if the demo files where corrupted or something else. I got
>the demo out of APPLE2-L and BinSCII it fine and Unshrunk it fine, but
>when it boots, the boot screen is all screwed up.  I know you have to
>reboot each time you run a demo, but is there something wrong with the
>boot or is it a corrupted file?  Thanks.
> _____
>||___||  Bob Tanner
>|  o  |  BITNET: S680534@UWEC.BITNET
>|__O__|  Amiga: Aaarg, Make It Go Away
>         I.B.M.: International Brotherhood of Morons

Try booting the disk in different ways.  I've found that botting from a
BOOT5 sys program I have (I boot from HD normally) results in a messed up
screen, but "Call-155 <Return> C500g <Return>" from AppleSloth almost always
results in a good title page.

[No, I don't always use c500g to boot a disk; but it seems to work.]

Somebody play with it (or disassemble it :) and see what's up.  This is
ARRRRRRRGGGGHHH finals week at cood ol' Case Western...

Rob Knauerhase

P.S. Anyone find any deep meaning in the somewhat schizophrenic text
they display?  What are "Deny socks" and who would skate barefoot anyway?!?

|Rob Knauerhase                  |Case Western Reserve University|
|rck@ces.cwru.edu                |CREN (BitNET): Knauer@CWRU     |
|rck@scl.cwru.edu                |GEnie: R.Knauerhase            |
|"Beware the Turing tar pit, where everything is possible,       |
|      but nothing of interest is easy."                         |

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (12/10/89)

I think I've found a culprit.  Someone suggested that it had to do with
whether the screen was set to 80 columns or 40.  Well, I booted up the disk
from power off, and the first time I booted, the screen was fine.  A
subsequent warm reboot and the title screen was munged.  I then changed
control panel setting to 40 columns, did a warm reboot and all was ok.
Set the control panel back to 80, title screen was munged on warm
reboot.  It seems that this is a least one culprit.

Ray
---

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (12/11/89)

In article <4162@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) writes:
>In article <891208.01132193.000759@UWEC.CP6> S680534@UWEC.BITNET (ROBERT TANNER) writes:
>>I was wondering if the demo files where corrupted or something else. I got
>>the demo out of APPLE2-L and BinSCII it fine and Unshrunk it fine, but
>>when it boots, the boot screen is all screwed up.  I know you have to
>>reboot each time you run a demo, but is there something wrong with the
>>boot or is it a corrupted file?  Thanks.
>
>I've noticed the same thing.  The first time I ran it, it worked fine.
[It messed up afterwards]
>Could it be related to a control panel setting?
>Maybe the demo sets something in the machine that subsequently monkeys
>up subsequent reboots?

It happened to me as well.  Normally, I use a small program I got from
somewhere called "BOOT5" from the Orca Shell (I boot into it, and use
aliases to get everywhere).  It didn't work with ACS.  However, if
I typed PR#6 from Applesoft, the ACS logo shot up fine.  However,  a cold
boot from slot 5 munged the screen.

I tried changing the system to 50Hz to see if one of the demos would work
better (I didn't think it would, but who knows?)  FYI, the monitor didn't
take the top of my head off with angry electron beams.  Switching to 50Hz
also changes all the control panel settings back to the defaults.  Boom!
Upon switching back to 60Hz, the ACS demo boots fine, even with that
Boot5 program from the Orca Shell!  No more munged stuff.  Unfortunately,
I have no idea which setting it was.  Perhaps something was lurking in
the battery RAM that was planted there by a rival french hacker group.
I tend to think it might be the Display settings I had.  I normally have
the machine boot up in 80 columns.  It's now back to 40.  Now that I
think about it, the munged screen looked like some kind of bank disaster
had messed it up.  I'll have to try it when I get home!

--
Dave Seah | O M N I D Y N E  S Y S T E M S - M |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
          |   User Friendly Killing Machines   |   America Online: AFC DaveS

MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET (Uri Srebro) (12/12/89)

     That's funny. I have 80 collumens switched on in the control panel and the
 creen shows up fine....
     By the way- they follow none of the rules all of the time, as thier moto s
ays: "No to Tools".

                    Nathan Srebro
                    Haifa, Israel

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (12/19/89)

>I think the problem here lies in the DISK II. The ACS demo disk boots fine
>on my machine (one 3.5" and one daisy-chained 5.25"), but when I take it over
>to a friend that has a 3.5" and two DISK II conected to a DISK II controller
>card, the title screen is smeered.

I don't think so. I have a Apple 3.5 and Unidisk 3.5 on my Smartport. In slot
6 there exists a DISK II controller with two DISK II's connected. And the ACS
Demo works just fine.

UUCP: crash!pro-generic!sb
ARPA: crash!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil
INET: sb@pro-generic.cts.com