[comp.sys.apple] NFS for Apple ???

glenn@SLOTH.NCSL.NIST.GOV (G.O.D.s Originator) (12/15/89)

Does anyone know if there exists a PC-NFS for between
an Apple IIGS and a Sun.

| K. Robert Glenn, Computer Scientist |  glenn@osi3.ncsl.nist.gov       |
| NIST                                |                                 |
| Bldg. 225/ B215                     |  "Developing OSI protocols      |
| Gaithersburg, MD 20899              |   bit by bit."                  |

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (12/15/89)

In article <8912141838.AA03768@sloth.ncsl.nist.gov> glenn@SLOTH.NCSL.NIST.GOV (G.O.D.s Originator) writes:

>Does anyone know if there exists a PC-NFS for between
>an Apple IIGS and a Sun.

If you use a Gator Box from Cayman Technologies, it will bridge your AppleTalk
to Ethernet and convert AFP to NFS. I don't know if it will support AFP 2.0.
It is expensive too.

Rick Fincher
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (12/20/89)

In article <8912141838.AA03768@sloth.ncsl.nist.gov> glenn@SLOTH.NCSL.NIST.GOV (G.O.D.s Originator) writes:

>Does anyone know if there exists a PC-NFS for between
>an Apple IIGS and a Sun.
>| K. Robert Glenn, Computer Scientist |  glenn@osi3.ncsl.nist.gov       |
>| NIST                                |                                 |
>| Bldg. 225/ B215                     |  "Developing OSI protocols      |
>| Gaithersburg, MD 20899              |   bit by bit."                  |

Although I haven't tried (and I could without too much trouble), I
think using a GatorBox would work. For those who don't know, a
GatorBox is similar to a Kinetik's Fastpath network bridge except that
the GatorBox makes NFS fileservers look like Appleshare fileservers
for Macs.  We have one at work and it works just dandy (our Sun has an
enormous amount of disk space). Send e-mail to Cayman Systems (the
makers of the GatorBox) at support@cayman.com or possibly
support@cayman.cayman.com and ask them for sure.

--
Dave Whitney