[comp.sys.apple] C compilers for the //

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (12/14/89)

I've been following the discussion about C compilers for 8 bit Apples
and wanted to add my opinion. I own Orca/M and the Manx C65-c packages.
If I wanted to program for the Apple //, period, I'd stick with the Orca
assembler. However, I want to learn to program in C. I've been at it on
and off now for a year or so and don't feel the least bit comfortable with
it yet. But, as my Unix/C instructor told me, if you want to be a C programmer
you have to program in C all of the time. In this respect the Manx package is
great. If you have a 10 mghz Rocketchip, a Unidisk 3.5 drive and at least a
meg of /ram (actually I could use another meg, but I haven't found a way
to add it to my //C yet) it's a great learning tool. So the real question,
at least IMHO is how badly do you want to learn to program in C. I'm new to
C but I think that a lot of the problems in the Manx package are actually
results of their efforts to be "true". I can solve problems much easier on
the Orca assembler but I can port the Manx programs to the local VAX and
compile them.

Bob Church
att!oucsace!bchurch

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (12/15/89)

In article <924@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:

[...]

Bob and others,
   Another approach you might want to take, since you already own
ORCA/M is to purchase the Small C compiler from Byteworks.  It's
cheap, it produces ORCA/M compatible p-code, and the source for the
compiler is included.  I have ported the compiler to my Sparcstation,
so I can off load the compilation step (the slowest_ from my //c.
Small C source code is fairly portable because it assumes a very
limited machine (ints and pointers the same size, and interchangeable)
There is  also a great deal of literature out there dealing with Small
C (look at back issues of Dr. Dobbs).

-Paul Nakada...

P.S. Anyone interested in collaborating on a
"// in a sparc" or "// in a UNIX/X11 box"?

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (12/21/89)

Byte Works smallC is VERY limited,no structures, one dimensional arrays, no
formatted print (printf). It does not teach you C except in the most trivial
of problems and it is not directly portable to other systems (unless you write
it that way i.e. global search and replace 'print' with 'printf') I could not
find any bit manipulation functions either. It does inegrate nicely with
ORCA/M so it's main use woulb designing front ends for your assmbly modules.
It is of course extensible, so you could probably write the neccessary
functions for fullC (it is written in itself!!).