[comp.sys.apple] SCSI Roms and IIGS

jfreem@uncecs.edu (Joe Freeman) (12/18/89)

I just purchased a IIGS and a SCSI card from a local dealer.  The GS is one
of the new ones with 1MB on the mother board.  The manual for the GS says
SCSI card roms should be rev 2.0 or later while the one on my card says
341-0437-A.  My dealer took the card and claims to have upgraded the ROM
except that the number on it is exactly the same.  Does anyone know whtat
the story is on supported ROMs?

Also, How do I verify that the SCSI card is functioning.  I have a 40 meg
scsi drive that I know works (address 6) that is never recognized by the
Advanced Disk utillities (SCSI card in either slot 6 or 7).  Do the
advanced disk utilities recognize all SCSI drives or is a table needed to
tell it the disk geomentry?

Thanks,

<joe>

In article <1989Dec18.033606.25523@uncecs.edu> jfreem@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Joe Freeman) writes:

>I just purchased a IIGS and a SCSI card from a local dealer.  The GS is one
>of the new ones with 1MB on the mother board.  The manual for the GS says
>SCSI card roms should be rev 2.0 or later while the one on my card says
>341-0437-A.  My dealer took the card and claims to have upgraded the ROM
>except that the number on it is exactly the same.  Does anyone know whtat
>the story is on supported ROMs?

There is no rule stating that Apple isn't allowed to change a part number
when the part changes.  In fact, the "Rev. C" or "2.0" Apple II SCSI Card
ROM has part number 341-0437-A.

>Also, How do I verify that the SCSI card is functioning.  I have a 40 meg
>scsi drive that I know works (address 6) that is never recognized by the
>Advanced Disk utillities (SCSI card in either slot 6 or 7).  Do the
>advanced disk utilities recognize all SCSI drives or is a table needed to
>tell it the disk geomentry?

A common misconception:  Advanced Disk Utilities (ADU) has this intricate
knowledge of the system that other programs can't have.  Not true; ADU only
works with devices that GS/OS has found, and issues device-specific DControl
and DStatus calls to those devices owned by the SCSI Manager.  Any program
can do what ADU does.

GS/OS (and therefore ADU) won't recognize anything connected to a SCSI card
unless the SCSI Manager is present.  Boot your original 5.0.2 disks (or 5.0,
if you don't have 5.0.2 yet), run the Installer and Install What Needs To Be
Installed on your hard drive (probably "Latest System Files" and "SCSI Hard
Disk").  At least install "SCSI Hard Disk" onto *any* disk you want to boot
from if you want to use the hard drive.

>Thanks,
>
><joe>

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (12/21/89)

In article <1989Dec18.033606.25523@uncecs.edu> jfreem@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Joe Freeman) writes:
>[...] The manual for the GS says
>SCSI card roms should be rev 2.0 or later while the one on my card says
>341-0437-A.

That's the correct part number for the current SCSI card ROMs.  It's usually
called "Revision C", and at least some of the chips say "341-0437-A, Version
2.0" (there is no such thing as a 341-0437-A that isn't "Version 2.0", as
far as I know--even if it doesn't say 2.0 on the sticker).

>Also, How do I verify that the SCSI card is functioning.  I have a 40 meg
>scsi drive that I know works (address 6) that is never recognized by the
>Advanced Disk utillities (SCSI card in either slot 6 or 7).  Do the
>advanced disk utilities recognize all SCSI drives or is a table needed to
>tell it the disk geomentry?

You need to use the Installer to put the SCSI drivers on your boot disk;
once you've done that, ADU should see all your drives.
--

 --David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
   Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.