[comp.sys.apple] Questions about Hyper `C'.

bar5834@cuphub.cup.edu (Pestilence) (12/12/89)

Hello all.  I hate to possibly open up old topics again, but I haven't had
access to this net for very long (this particular newsgroup for only about a
week).

A while ago, I got Hyper `C' off of a bulletin board somewhere.  I unpacked it
and ran it and it seemed like a decent li'l system, except for the lack of
commands like "scanf" and "sscanf", which I think are somewhat important in
`C'. :-)  These people wanted $39.95 or so (can't remember, I put it away long
ago) and I was wondering if I send them the cash, will they send me a better
working version (I figured maybe it was a very limited demo version) or am I
missing the input commands in some "*.h" file?  Also, would they send an owner's
manual?

I think it would have been nice to say "this is/isn't a demo version..." and
"...for you contribution...blah blah...we will [not] send you an owner's manual
... etc." or something like that in the title screen.

Please e-mail any responses, and thanx in advance. Later all...

-----
- John Bartolotta (Bart)		...!pitt!cuphub!bar5834

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (12/17/89)

The company is dead. There is no where to send money. scanf is not supported,
but otherwise it is a very full implementation of k&r. note: stdio.h is called
std.h. Unix -like commands work the interface try a few to see what happens.
i.e. ed filename.

glaeske@plains.UUCP (Brian Glaeske) (12/21/89)

In article <8721.infoapple.net@pro-generic> ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:

>The company is dead. There is no where to send money. scanf is not supported,
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>but otherwise it is a very full implementation of k&r. note: stdio.h is called
>std.h. Unix -like commands work the interface try a few to see what happens.
>i.e. ed filename.

Ok, so my question is:  If the company is dead, and the CDOS(?) version was
distributed on the net, why can't the ProDOS version be distributed on the
net????

Brian Glaeske
[glaeske@plains.NoDak.edu      --         Internet]
[glaeske@plains or ndsuvax     --         Bitnet  ]
[uunet!plains!glaeske          --         UUCP    ]

KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("KURT MILES, VAX/MICRO CONSULTANT") (12/21/89)

>>Ok, so my question is:  If the company is dead, and the CDOS(?) version was
>>distributed on the net, why can't the ProDOS version be distributed on the
>>net????
>
>Ditto.  "Enquiring minds want to know".

We went through this a while back.. As I recall, (and I'm NOT a lawyer),
copyright belongs to the author for at least 50 years, sometimes 75, depending
on if anybody know who it is and whether or not they are dead. Regardless, we
haven't even come close to the minimum time needed to make free use of a
copyrighted program.

For all you purists who can quote the law, leave me alone.  The basic idea is
right, anyway.

Followup to /null/dev.

Kurt Miles                   |      GreyMan ------>    and the    <----- DRAGON
KMILES@USU (Bitnet)          |      ...... remember, sometimes the DRAGON wins!
KMILES@CC.USU.EDU (Internet) |                                     ------
Doctoral Student in Instructional Technology at Utah State University
"Dissertation?   Doesn't that come after dinner?  I like strawberry shortcake"

Les_Ferch.@MTSG.UBC.CA (12/21/89)