[comp.sys.apple] Easylink, MacroMate

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin Lepard, 629-1827", 517) (12/15/89)

Has anyone seen Applied Engineering's Easylink?  I just got an offer from
them to buy it for $49 because (it says here) I own a Datalink 2400.

The little flyer -- which is the same as the ad you see in magazines --
claims that it can do VT100 emulation.  Does anyone know how well if this
supports a VT100 keypad and more importantly (which I can't check by calling
AE) how good is the VT100?  As good as Kermits?  Or is it buggy like so many
other VT100 emulators.

I, too, am interested in MacroMate.  I spoke with the RWP a few weeks ago
and it _cannot_ record mouse movements and clicks, etc., as can some Mac
macro programs (anyone want to help me convince RWP to add this?)  The
program is a CDA that records and plays back keystrokes.  You can define
ctrl-a to do one thing, ctrl-shift-a to do something else, OA-a a third
thing, SA-a a forth thing, etc.  It sounds very versatile.  I haven't
decided if I'm going to get it or not.  Has anyone used MacroMate?  If
so I'd appreciate someone sending me a summary.

BTW:  I have an Apple //GS expansion card with 1 meg ram on it that I'd
like to sell so I can get a larger card.  If anyone is intersted, I'm
reachable at the the email address, below.

Merry Christmas, folks.  (And good luck on finals, where applicable,
I could use some, for sure......)

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet:  Sasquatch@albion.bitnet
Disclaimer:  These opinions do not necessarily represent those of Albion
College, although they probably shou.d

        And that's _MR_ Sasquatch, to you!

scorpio@pro-harvest.cts.com (Robert Scorpio) (12/21/89)

Easylink is OK, but if you have ProTERM, I would stick with that.  In my
opinion, ProTERM is the comm program to have for ANY Apple Computer.  I have
seen Easylink, and the VT100 is not all that bad.  But, then again, I don't
know what YOU expect.  It has autowrap, and it does emulate the keyboard quite
well.  The screen codes work out fine... the program handles them well.  But
I'm not a really big fan of VT100.  The transfer protocols STINK.  That's my
big gripe.  Anyway, to be a good judge, you would have to test it out for
yourself.