[comp.sys.apple] //c upgrade

Z4585318@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4616314) (12/21/89)

I am one those people with one of the acient original //c's.  There was recent n
et-mail
about a "free" upgrade from Apple Inc.  I missed most of it.

Will somebody please tell me exactly what modifications are made and what I will
 get
out of it?

Thanks in Advance,

Mike Young <Z4585318@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (12/22/89)

In article <891220.16463044.036170@SFA.CP6> Z4585318@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4616314) writes:
>I am one those people with one of the acient original //c's.  There was recent n
>et-mail
>about a "free" upgrade from Apple Inc.  I missed most of it.
>
>Will somebody please tell me exactly what modifications are made and what I will
> get
>out of it?
>
>Thanks in Advance,
>
>Mike Young <Z4585318@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

Sorry that I have to post this here because my mailer doesn't know the addr.
Yes, you can get your motherboard swapped for a new one so you will have a 32k
ROM (instead of original 16k) which contains routines to interface with
UniDisk 3.5 (not Apple Disk 3.5, the only //c that can hook an Apple Disk 3.5
is the //c+), plus, a crystal frequency problem is also fixed so you won't get
garbages anymore when you use modem for communication. However, I don't think
you will get an upgrade for a newer version of //c that comes with memory
expansion connector.  It is a bit tricky to find a "good" dealer for such an
upgrade, but DO call Apple and ask for lists and lists of Apple Dealers that
are near you, and then make calls to see if they are willing to give you "free"
upgrade. Some of them will just ignore you, some of them will tell you that
"no company offer free hardware upgrade" some of them will just charge you some
money (yeah, about $240 - $320 approx.) So keep calling until you find a good
dealer that gives you free upgrade. Good Luck.

--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 64 Mb RAM, 660 Mb SCSI, NeXT laser |    Chun Yao Liao    |