[comp.sys.apple] Apple // BBS software

alf@clinet.FI (Aapo Puskala) (12/17/89)

Is there software (commercial, shareware of freeware) to let the //c act
as a BBS. I am using a UniDisk, so it should run under prodos, not
require lots of memory.

ST802148@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Evan) (12/18/89)

I think GBBS is the best software for Apple // boards.  It runs under Prodos, i
s very fast (compiles it's code), and is VERY flexible

blochowi@rt5.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (12/18/89)

In article <8912172026.AA18509@apple.com> ST802148@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Evan) writes:
>I think GBBS is the best software for Apple // boards.  It runs under Prodos,
>is very fast (compiles it's code), and is VERY flexible
               ^^^^^^^^

	Actually, it tokenizes its code, and reduces identifiers to numbers.
Although this helps, it's not exactly full compilation...

	It also lacks array support, although some ACOS (name of the GBBS
programming language) folks claim that its i/o package eliminates the need for
arrays. I wouldn't know, as I haven't actually written anything in it.

--
      Jason Blochowiak - blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.uucp
       "Education, like neurosis, begins at home." - Milton R. Sapirstein

TE880714%STUDTEW.UFSIA.AC.BE@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Stefan Bracke) (12/18/89)

  What about AppleNet. I believe it's shareware.
  I'am also looking for a BBS-program (having a //GS).
  As the Apple-Area-Operator of a BBS, (OPUS MAGNUM), I like to
  echo my mail to the BBS. It uses the Fido-protocols. Thus far,
  I haven't found the documentations on the transferring protocols.
  BTW:Are there programs which support ANSI ?

                                    Stef

*** Lesson 2 in foreign cultures ******* < ENGELANDS >***********************
* The use of Dutch and Flemish words in other languages. (English, French)  *
* - Some words ending on QUIN come from Flemish:                            *
*   eg. "Mannequin" comes from MANNEKEN which means SMALL MAN. The French   *
*       also use it for models. Dutch and Flemish also use this word cause  *
*       it sounds so nice.                                                  *
* -"Stars and Stripes". STREEP is the Dutch word for line.                  *
* -"Golf". Originated in Holland but named after the stick: KOLF            *
* - Others: "Bruin the bear" (Bruin de beer;Bruin = Brown), "Dove" (Duif)   *

dvac@druwa.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) (12/19/89)

In article <4103@puff.cs.wisc.edu>, blochowi@rt5.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) writes:
> In article <8912172026.AA18509@apple.com> ST802148@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Evan) writes:
>
> 	It also lacks array support, although some ACOS (name of the GBBS
> programming language) folks claim that its i/o package eliminates the need for
> arrays. I wouldn't know, as I haven't actually written anything in it.

 True, ACOS is an interesting language.  It is the nicest evironment (I/O
package) that I have ever used on a Bulletin Board System.  I have run about
10 different software packages over the years...GBBS 1.6.2 was my first,
then after a couple years I spent two years fiddling with all kinds of systems
like Apple-Net, PBBS, Micron's, Telecat, Micro-BBS, West-Net, etc... and
gave up and rested with GBBS 1.7...Then came ProDOS, and the immediate choice
became GBBS Pro.  Since then I have written A LOT of ACOS code.  It is pretty
easy to write in once you get used to it, has a really nice driver package,
and excellent error handling and recovery mechanisms...Another thing is that
it is quite fast in comparison with Ampersand driven BASIC BBS systems.

 Downfalls, well first off, there is the lack of Arrays.  There is a way to
fake out ACOS and build an array type structure with the RAM scratchpads,
but it's not too pretty, and it can only handle numbers from 0 to 255...
Another problem was the limitation of working only in integers, so no
decimal numbers are allowed.  Again, you can fake acos into printing decimal
numbers but it takes some work.  And of course, no integer can be > 32767.
This is also fake-able, as I had to do it in a D&D type Arena system I wrote
that I wanted to have higher numbers...Now I support numbers in the millions
with some math routines I wrote.  It appears to me that with ACOS, some things
may not be easy, but I have not run into something I just plain couldn't do
yet.

 Thats about all I have to say....These are just my opinions about ACOS and
GBBS Pro as well as the othe BBS Programs mentioned.  Take it for what it's
worth, as I have run an Apple BBS for about the last 7 years.

>       Jason Blochowiak - blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.uucp

Later - Dan Vachon  !att!druwa!dvac

) (12/20/89)

I have a friend who has just set up a GBBS system here in Austin, Texas, and
he has been looking for modules to set up for his BBS.

I was hoping you might be really helpful and send me a few things you have
written, if you feel like letting some of your programs go. I'm sure he'd be
eccstatic!

Jason Hughes
(sorry, I tried email but it choked)
(\/\-> Jason Hughes <-\/\)
        "Sun dogs fire on the horizon, meteor rain stars across the night,
         this moment may be brief, but it can be so bright."
                --Neil Peart/Presto/Chain Lightning
_____

UUCP: crash!pro-lep!panther
ARPA: crash!pro-lep!panther@nosc.mil
INET: panther@pro-lep.cts.com

tomk@pro-sol.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (12/22/89)

Don't overlook Pro-Line as a BBS .
It offers networked mail, conferences and downloads.