[comp.sys.apple] Apple II line

urt@NAV.ICST.NBS.GOV (Allen Wilkinson) (07/25/88)

I have some questions about the apple II line. Is Apple going
to discontinue the line conpletely or just produce the IIgs. I
have an Apple IIe and am very pleased with the performance it
has given me. The only problem I have had in the 5.5 years I
have had it is with the duodisk (posted earlier). I plan on
purchasing another computer soon. Will the IIgs stick around?
I use a computer for two purposes programming and entertainment.
Should I look into another computer? What else is out there that
can do what the IIgs does for about the same price? Any suggestions?
I believe the Apple II line is a good computer and is getting
better. Please tell me that Apple is not going to stop it totally.

Thanks,
/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
|                                   -------                            |
|  R. Allen "Urt" Wilkinson       / o   o /| "Reality is only someone  |
|  National Bureau of Standards  / o   o /o|    else's Fantasy."       |
|  Bldg 225  Room A216           ------- oo|                           |
|  Gaithersburg, MD 20899       | o   o |oo                ---[        |
|  ARPA: urt@icst-cmr.arpa      |   o   |o/     -============( ]---O   |
|  DOMAIN: urt@cmr.icst.nbs.gov | o   o |/                 ---[        |
|                                -------                               |

yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) (12/20/89)

Remember that rumour in Macworld a month ago?
Well, that rumour has got a lot of people confused. The rumour is
spreading around the BBSs.
In fact, some people think that it has happened.
There hasn't been an official announcement from Apple.
Does anyone know what is happening with that rumour?
Anyone from Apple care to comment on the rumour?
|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu        |||||||||||Yong Su Kim||||||||||||
|Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			     |||||The Korean from Hong Kong||||
|UUCP    : uunet!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4 |||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||
|____________________________________________||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

gtt@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (diana) (12/21/89)

Well, we've been talking about it, but I don't believe anyone has actually
posted the rumor itself.  So here it is:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

From the Dec. '89 issue of MacUser, the Rumor Manager, p.84

"Not only is a low-end Mac on the way, but Apple has settled on the ultimate
way of avoiding clashes with Apple // owners who might feel their turf is being
invaded:  The whole Apple // division is to be spunoff, a' la Claris, as an
independent company.  The likely leader is Steve Wozniak.  Apple will supply a
strong infusion of cash, people, and equipment.  Once the split has been
accomplished, the new Mac will appear.  Right now, that Mac looks very much
like an SE with a 20-megabyte hard-disk drive and a $995 price tag."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Hey, try this one on for size; maybe the rumors of Apple discontinuing the
//-line were weren't *quite* correct, but in fact referred to the above
spin-off?  (I know, I know,...*BOTH* are unlikely but hey, *SOMEBODY* has to
confuse the issue! ;-)

For the sake of argument, let's say there's some basis for the rumor:

It would be great to see Woz back and active on the //-line, but I can't see
him running the "new" company.  He's more of an innovator than an
administrator, at least according to everything I've read.  Somebody who'd much
rather be working on getting the GS to do ultra-res holographic displays than
on next quarter's budget.  If you think I'm putting him down, you're wrong.
All I'm saying is that he doesn't seem to be interested in the more mundane
tasks of running a business.  I don't blame him a bit.

Though I'd kinda hate to see the // completely cut-off from the Mac again, this
should kill-off those stupid rumors about the demise of the //, along with alot
of the other complaints (eg.  Apple's ignoring the //).

Well, that's enough ramblings on a subject that's probably moot anyway.  Still
its fun to speculate a little.

Anyone checked to see if Dave and Matt have their bags packed?  :-)

*NOTE:  This posted to the net via my wife's account.  The BBS where my e-mail
goes lost its newsgroup feed, though it can still handle mail.  So send any
comments, praise, money, etc. to:
| Jonathan Neuenschwander                        |"My views on evolution?    |
| USENET:   tippy!buzz@newton.physics.purdue.edu | I think Darwin was        |
| I'm poor, so USENET is the only network I'm on.| adopted." --Steven Wright |
|________________________________________________|___________________________|
|DISCLAIMER:  The opinions and views depicted here are completely fictious.  |
|Any resemblence to any actual opinions or views, either living or dead, is  |
|purely coincidental.                                                        |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.ed@canremote.uucp (yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.ed) (12/21/89)

From: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim)
Orga: Columbia University

Remember that rumour in Macworld a month ago?
Well, that rumour has got a lot of people confused. The rumour is
spreading around the BBSs.
In fact, some people think that it has happened.
There hasn't been an official announcement from Apple.
Does anyone know what is happening with that rumour?
Anyone from Apple care to comment on the rumour?
_________ |Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
uunet!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4 |||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||
|____________________________________________||||||||||||||||||||||||
---
 * Via MaSNet/HST96/HST144/V32 - UN Apple
 * Via Usenet Newsgroup comp.sys.apple

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/21/89)

     I'm aware of several rumors that MacWorld has been 'responsible' for.
Could you be more specific?  Rumors are always out there.  For instance,
there are already rumors about System Disk 6.0 for the GS.  Rumors should
be expected for everything.

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu

cthulhu@claris.com (Paul T.S. Lee) (12/22/89)

From article <6077@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, by [Jonathan Neuenschwander
posing as] gtt@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (diana):
> invaded:  The whole Apple // division is to be spunoff, a' la Claris, as an
> independent company.  The likely leader is Steve Wozniak.  Apple will supply a
> strong infusion of cash, people, and equipment.  Once the split has been

I remember reading this.  I also remember hearing about Woz's reaction,
which was somewhere between outrage and stifled giggles.

Along the same lines, though, has anyone else heard about Guy Kawasaki's
name being put into the hat?

>| Jonathan Neuenschwander                        |"My views on evolution?    |
>| USENET:   tippy!buzz@newton.physics.purdue.edu | I think Darwin was        |

Paul Tien-Shih Lee              |cthulhu@claris.com
Claris Corporation, SQA Division|{ames,apple,sun,portal,voder}claris!cthulhu
Disclaimer: Dis is my claimer.  |AppleLink: CLARIS.SQA
If Claris wants one, it can get |America Online (ALPE):Paul Lee
its own.  All hail Discordia!   |(coming soon to a network near you)