[comp.sys.apple] Xerox law suit vs. Apple

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/19/89)

     This Xerox suit against Apple has quite a few opinions.  I just got done
Chortling out a 4K paper about the suit in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d (or comp.sys
I can't remember.)  Seems as though Xerox, by suing Apple on a look-and-feel
basis, is coming out as a hero, while Apple, for doing the same thing, comes
out the devil.  That's hilarious, cynically speaking.
     Anyone have any additions?  I'm pretty interested in what's going on,
specifically the Star system (Xerox) and this Berne convention thingo I just
heard about.  This may be too mac specific to post here, but then again GS/OS
would be effected...

InterNet  ->   krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu      |                 Ken Brownfield
=---------------------------------------------+         Rural Route 4, Box 152
PLATO     ->   ken brownfield/unialum/cerl    |           Champaign, IL, 61820
          ->   brownfield/dialup/cerl         |(home)           (217) 643-7504
=---------------------------------------------+------------------------------=

sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com (The RainForest BBS) (12/20/89)

As a seventeen-year employee of Xerox I started to type in an opinion
concerning the technology we INVENTED at the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center
(I personally give up a few body parts to be able to work there) like the
MOUSE, WINDOWS, ICONS, etc.... ; but I figured I'd have a better chance of
making my 20th anniversary if I didn't... so I'm not...

/steve

+===========================================================================+
| UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider               COMPU$ERVE : 75166,2544 |
| ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider@nosc.mil      GENIE      : sschneider |
| INET: sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com             APLINK.PE  : <shrug>    |
| The RainForest @ 305-434-4927 / PO Box 841422, Pembroke Pines, Fl,  33084 |
+===========================================================================+

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (12/21/89)

In article <113300226@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>heard about.  This may be too mac specific to post here, but then again GS/OS
>would be effected...

	GS/OS is an operating system, not a user interface.

>InterNet  ->   krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu      |                 Ken Brownfield
>=---------------------------------------------+         Rural Route 4, Box 152
>PLATO     ->   ken brownfield/unialum/cerl    |           Champaign, IL, 61820
>          ->   brownfield/dialup/cerl         |(home)           (217) 643-7504
>=---------------------------------------------+------------------------------=

Cary Farrier
--
+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Cary Farrier				| Internet  : farrier@apple.com   |

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/22/89)

>In article <113300226@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>heard about. This may be too mac specific to post here, but then again GS/OS
>>would be effected...

>	GS/OS is an operating system, not a user interface.

     Sorry, switch that to "but then again the Finder would be effected."
Oops.

>Cary Farrier
>+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
>| Cary Farrier				 | Internet  : farrier@apple.com   |
>| Apple II Systems Software Engineering | UUCP      : apple!farrier       |
>| Apple Computer, Inc.			 | Fax	    : (408) 974-1704       |
>| 20525 Mariani Ave.			 | AppleLink : FARRIER             |
>| Cupertino, CA 95014			 |  or farrier@applelink.apple.com |
>+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
>|          I don't speak for Apple Computer, our products do.             |
>+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu

sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com (The RainForest BBS) (12/22/89)

Don't you just HATE typos?
-------------------------------------->
As a seventeen-year employee of Xerox I started to type in an opinion
concerning the technology we INVENTED at the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center
(I personally give up a few body parts to be able to work there) like the
MOUSE, WINDOWS, ICONS, etc.... ; but I figured I'd have a better chance of
making my 20th anniversary if I didn't... so I'm not...

That should have said, of course, "(I'd personally give up a few........"

<sigh>

Merry Christmas to all!

/steve