[comp.sys.apple] Reading Mac HFS on Apple ][

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) (12/22/89)

I recently executed a public domain program which reads Mac 400K disks.
It worked perfectly on a disk I had lying around from the days of the
original Mac.

What surprises me is that if block reads of Mac disks are possible with my
Apple ][ Plus (even though the Mac stores 524 bytes per sector instead of the
normal 512 bytes per Apple ][ block), then why isn't there a utility to read
800K double-sided HFS disks?  It seems like this would merely be an extension
of a Basic program so that it would take into account the structure of a Mac
HFS volume.  How complicated can HFS be?

Doesn't anyone have the Mac Tech Notes documenting HFS and a strong desire to
access Mac disks on the Apple?  Perhaps I should expect this software from
Apple Co. themselves?

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (12/23/89)

In article <10047@microsoft.UUCP>, brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) writes:

> Doesn't anyone have the Mac Tech Notes documenting HFS and a strong desire to
> access Mac disks on the Apple?  Perhaps I should expect this software from
> Apple Co. themselves?
>
> Brian Willoughby

I'd like to see this utility myself and have thought about giving it a shot
someday. As to Apple writing it, I would not bet on it. The (IMHO) reason
for including the AFE program with the MAC software is to allow people to
"move up" to a mac and take their old data with them. I doubt there's much
interest in going the other way. Yes, I know that AFE allows xfer from mac
to Apple // but I don't think that that is the primary reason for it's
creation.
Flame retardent additive,
This is just my opinion. On the other hand, utilites like Works 2.0 *only*
allow one way conversions. Also, please note the quote marks around the
phrase move up. That's not the way I see it either.
Bob Church
att!oucsace!bchurch