[comp.sys.apple] HD backing the NEW way?

S680534@UWEC.BITNET (ROBERT TANNER) (12/20/89)

I was wondering if anyone has see or heard of AI new videotape recorder
based backup system for hard-drives?  A siz hour tape will store some
640 megs at a rate of 40 megs per hour.  Anything out there on it? Like
price? Availibility?  The ad for it is in A+/inCider (Jan edition) page 19.
Thanks.

lazlo@ariel.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble) (12/26/89)

S680534@UWEC.BITNET (ROBERT TANNER) writes:

> I was wondering if anyone has see or heard of AI new videotape recorder
> based backup system for hard-drives?  A siz hour tape will store some
> 640 megs at a rate of 40 megs per hour.  Anything out there on it? Like
> price? Availibility?  The ad for it is in A+/inCider (Jan edition) page 19.
> Thanks.

This is ancient stuff already . . . there's a backup system out there
that my friends use at work on their network of Suns and HPs that
stores up to two gigs (that's GIGs, not megs) on a standard 8mm
videotape.  Simple little box.

Of course, if the one you're talking about is way-cheap then that's
obviously a nice alternative for the consumer market.  But it's not
edge-tech.

                                                   Lazlo (lazlo@ariel.unm.edu)
"You're my orchestra of . . . one."  -- Act