[comp.sys.apple] Apple II for scientific use

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (12/23/89)

In article <10048@microsoft.UUCP> brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) writes:
>Has Apple Co. ever acknowledged the awesome number of Apple ][ computers used
>in scientific research labs for data acquisition?  Every time I turn around in
>a college campus lab, I see an Apple ][ Plus or //e with wires attached all
>over the  place - hooked to monstrous machinery or measuring equipment.  If
>Apple would recognize what I feel is a market equal to the so-called
>"Education" market, then their emphasis would necessarily shift to performance
>as it can be used for engineering applications.  BTW, this kind of shift in
>focus would make me very happy - since I basically use my Apple ][ Plus as a
>home sound lab tool.
>
>Brian Willoughby

Yes, I saw that too. I remember that once I went to one of the most famous
Nuclear Physics Research Center in Argentina, I saw Apple II+s in the lab with
perhaps 500+ whires connected to each of the Apple II+. They told me that they
do have some BIG computers, but they found that THIS little computer had
everything nicely done for them. Mmm, impressive.
I also saw some Apple IIes in TAND ARGENTINA (I don't remember what does TAND
stands for, but I know it's name of certain kind of accelelator of particles),
though I wasn't allow to go into that room so I have no idea how they were
connected.
--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 64 Mb RAM, 660 Mb SCSI, NeXT laser |    Chun Yao Liao    |

yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) (12/23/89)

Wish I could say the same for Universities...
At Columbia, several people have Apple IIes, IIc and even fewer people
have GSes. However, the rest of the campus is pro-Mac and pro-IBM.
If you ask anyone about computers, they think that the Apple line is
just a joke.
GSes? What's that? It runs Mac software right?
That's just about the level of ignorance when it comes to Apple IIs.
It's a shame because the GS could be a cheap alternative for many
college students.
Also, a GS can be easily networked to a Mac so students have no
problems with using laserwriters, software etc.
I wish Apple would see it this way...

|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu        |||||||||||Yong Su Kim||||||||||||
|Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			     |||||The Korean from Hong Kong||||
|UUCP    : uunet!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4 |||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||
|____________________________________________||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (12/23/89)

In article <1989Dec22.172808.5372@eng.umd.edu> cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
>In article <10048@microsoft.UUCP> brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) writes:
>>Has Apple Co. ever acknowledged the awesome number of Apple ][ computers used
>>in scientific research labs for data acquisition?  Every time I turn around in
>>a college campus lab, I see an Apple ][ Plus or //e with wires attached all
>>over the  place - hooked to monstrous machinery or measuring equipment.  If
>>Apple would recognize what I feel is a market equal to the so-called
>>"Education" market, then their emphasis would necessarily shift to performance
>>as it can be used for engineering applications.  BTW, this kind of shift in
>>focus would make me very happy - since I basically use my Apple ][ Plus as a
>>home sound lab tool.

The Apple II was also used to allow paralyzed people to walk by enervating
muscles in the legs according to a program.

dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) (12/26/89)

At this research institute, the Apple II has been serving science
since it was first introduced.  We have an excellent team of people,
including a senior programmer who can do ANYTHING with an Apple II,
and an engineer who designs custom cards for any machine, especially
the Apple II.

These machines ran most of the experiments for a long time, although
they are starting to get replaced by Suns, IBM 386's, and DECs.  There
is a huge amount of hours involved in the Apple software, however, so
they keep running existing experiments on them.

I myself designed a system to record eye movements by running the
stimuli, and then analyze the movements in an organized fashion.  My
//e has 2 megs memory, a Titan accelerator card, a clock card, a
Metrabyte data acquisition board, and a now unavailable Dataq
Instruments Waveform Scroller card.  This last card was $700, and
permits incoming waveforms to scroll across the screen, up to 4
channels, in hardware, at up to several thousand points per second, to
allow viewing of incoming data. (Now they only make it for the IBM,
since only 4 people in the country bought them.)  The programs are in
Applesoft BASUC, compiled BASIC (Microsoft TASC compiler), and
assembly language for the data acquisition.  In addition, Beagle
ProntoDOS and DiskQuik were used to get up the disk speed and RAM
disk, and DOS-UP to move DOS to the language card.

The advantage of using the Apple was that it had a simple
operating system (DOS 3.3) which didn't interfere with the work I was
doing, and could be easily modified in certain subroutines to help
also.  The wealth of Apple literature in books and magazines, and the
many utility/hobby packages out there made it relatively easy to
understand everything about the Apple and the monitor ROM routines,
and thus work at the lowest level as needed.  I couldn't do that with
the Mac.  I began doing it with the IBM, but I found precious little
written that would help me work at the same kind of level.  The Mac
OS does a lot of functions in the background, which can screw up
real-time data acquisition and control.

The one real disadvantage of the Apple II was the inability to write
to the disk while interrupts were enabled during data acquisition,
limiting data to the available memory size, rather than to disk size.

In another experiment, my Apple controlled a muscle stimulator to
control eye muscle stimulation experiments for force and length.  The
resulting curves were then analyzed automatically, and the data
written to disk files, which were then graphed automatically and
overlaid. Without this, the task would have been impossible. The final
graphical output for publication was cleaned up and fed to a pen plotter.

In short, the learning time on the Apple was short and to the point,
and was a good experience in lab scientific computer use.

Other researchers are using the Apples to measure infant vision, run
brain-wave communication devices, test visual functions of various
types, measure and analyze eye muscle forces in the operating room,
and control instruments.
--
David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
The Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Science,  ***  net:  uunet!skivs!dr