[comp.sys.apple] Western Design Center

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) (12/22/89)

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) writes:
>You favour getting the 65816's 6 volts from a resistive divider? This assumes
>that the current it draws is the same for all operations, and I don't know if
>this is safe to say.  As the current drawn by the '816 changes, so will its
>supply voltage, unless the resistive divider is very robust (in terms of
>current) indeed.

Whoever still clings to the resistor divider is certainly no Electrical
Engineer, and I'm glad I don't own any products that are designed so poorly.

In any event, I want to resurface an old question that (I think) was asked:
someone mentioned the need to modify the motherboard when adding the 6 volt
supply, yet someone else countered this.  I think the point is that you need to
avoid sending 6 volts to every chip in the Apple.  Since the ribbon cable from
the TransWarp GS sits in the 65C816 socket, I would assume that AE connected
the 5 volt signal from the motherboard CPU socket to the 5 volt line on the
W65C816 that resides on the accelerator.  If you do not disconnect this contact
at some point (on the motherboard socket, in the ribbon cable, or on the
accelerator socket itself), then any 6 volt supply you generate will be
*shorted* to the Apple 5V supply.  Yikes!

>Since a 13 megahertz 65816 is going to be a pretty penny (does anyone know how
>much, in small quantity?), I'd probably spring for the two-buck regulator.

Call Western Design Center, 602/962-4545, they have no distributors, and they
only sell direct.  Back in July, I ordered a 10 MHz W65C802 for $24.84, 4 MHz
parts were only $17.80.  Minimum order is $50, though, so you'd better have
some friends who are also interested.  Or you could just buy an extra chip for
backup.  Me?  I purchased two 4 MHz and one 10 MHz chips, and only paid $5 for
COD delivery.  Then I sold a 4 MHz chip to a friend with a TransWarp.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (12/26/89)

In my original post, I mentioned that the 65816 have the traces to the 5V
supply bypassed to prevent diffiulties with the other chips. I have thoroughly
discarded the resistor divider idea. It was quick and dirty, but not the best
solution. Several solutions are possible a 6..2V Zener is one, a 6V regulator
is another. Choose what you can work with. I assume that the people using this
idea are not electrical engineers so I attempted to keep it simple. Oh well.

The power for the entire card comes from the slot, it is poor practice to draw
power for a card from the motherboard. I would not buy a product that did and
I'm sure the AE people would not design it that way. As for hacking the
hardware to work, I would suggest that you limit yourself to 10MHz. The
designer probably built the board for 10.5MHz and de-rated it to 7MHz. This is
the rule of thumb for most designs, by reputable companies at least. The other
components can thus withstand the increased speed and power dissipation. I
would strongly reccommend not trying to push it to 13MHz, the professionals
who did took precautions. You might get away with it, but I don't recall any
statements as to the failure rate of these accelerators, might be as low as a
few minutes.

With the TWII released, does anyone know it a TWGSII is coming soon. It might
be useful to wait for the real thing.